It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

--Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts—

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I have an idea. Maybe someone flagging a thread should bump that thread.

Many here have said that the reason they flag and then also leave a short comment is to bump a thread they deem worthy of attention.

If a flag also bumped the thread (makes sense anyway if you think about it), it might help cut down on one-liners and back-scratching type posts?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Threads that don't even employ one whole paragraph in the OP, are definetly on the rise. Most are one to two liners and been driv'in me nuts lately. One thread read in it's header,"I predict you will click on this thread" and when you clicked? Well you can guess the rest. The thread was in the predictions and prophecies forum. I'm guilty of some of the OPs fopahs. Once in awhile. I promise to bring that down to nil. It's easy to comply just don't make a special post to say anything that dosn't pertain to the topic.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

This is because this site has been infested with trolls from Godlike Productions.

It has been going downhill for months and will continue to do so.

It's too bad because GLP has NO credibility whatsover and their trolls are going to ruin this site.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

The other nite when ATS was down. I was all worried
So I went there to see if I could find anything out. Sure enough there was a thread on it. I was shocked ! It's nothing but one liners. So I pretty much have preconfirmed what you say is true. This is the only site I've ever been on, proud to say. I was a total know nothing when I signed up. Not say'in I know anything much now either. I mean I had to learn how to reply even. It was that bad. I've always tried to make my threads as lengthy as possible. At the same time provide plenty of fat to chew. If I reply with a one liner ? It has a lot to do with the forum I frequent.

Never hit a key in anger.

Luciditys idea is a good one. Way better than taking back flags, which I think is ridiculous.

edit on 5-7-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
I have an idea. Maybe someone flagging a thread should bump that thread.

Many here have said that the reason they flag and then also leave a short comment is to bump a thread they deem worthy of attention.

If a flag also bumped the thread (makes sense anyway if you think about it), it might help cut down on one-liners and back-scratching type posts?

On the surface, that's a good idea but, I try not to post in threads anymore unless I have something to add to the conversation. I flag threads because I agree with the OP or think its important info that needs to be more widely known (also if they are really funny, even if its not what the OP intended). I don't always have something important to add to the threads I like though.

Also, going through a bunch of "I agree" or "that's great news!" posts gets tedious real fast.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
No, I haven't read this entire thread.

I'm here to ask that you not punish the succinct.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2012srb
No, I haven't read this entire thread.

I'm here to ask that you not punish the succinct.

Off topic is off topic but a 1 liner that adds to a thread is not a problem.

^^^^
See?

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Sometimes a single line can say more than a whole paragraph; no self-respecting mod would remove it, and won't.

Second line.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Sometimes a single line can say more than a whole paragraph; no self-respecting mod would remove it, and won't.

Second line.

ummmm...

I have received numerous red flags and warnings[when we had red flags] for one liners; for what I thought was witty, to the point and appropriate responses.

That's why now I sometimes edit to add a banal, pointless and outright goofy second line like this one is turning out to be; like I just did to conform to the rules laid down by those much more knowledgeable and powerful than just a simple member like me that just wants to please and be accepted.

edit on 12-7-2011 by whaaa because: edit to add a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th line.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
GUILTY!!!

QUESTION: Could the thread title be inserted in bold between each post or along side or something?

I know that's like "holding a toddler's hand" - - - but its so easy to just get caught up in the conversation of the previous poster. And forget the point of the thread.

I do try to catch myself - Oops! Then scroll up to the top to read the thread title again.

As far as short posts - - I hate "filler" words and "circle" points (saying the exact same thing/repeating several times with various wording) . I type what I have to say - - then go back and remove any unnecessary words.

Length does not necessarily make a good post. Content does.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

As a mobile ATS user I noticed whenever a post disappears
it gets replaced with the word (image). Without going to the
main website, we are clueless as to what we've done wrong.
is there anything that can be done to solve this problem?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

The ATS graphics for Off-Topic posts or other T&C violations may not be supported by your mobile browser.

It's not really something you or we are able to fix.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
GUILTY!!!

QUESTION: Could the thread title be inserted in bold between each post or along side or something?

I know that's like "holding a toddler's hand" - - - but its so easy to just get caught up in the conversation of the previous poster. And forget the point of the thread.

I do try to catch myself - Oops! Then scroll up to the top to read the thread title again.

As far as short posts - - I hate "filler" words and "circle" points (saying the exact same thing/repeating several times with various wording) . I type what I have to say - - then go back and remove any unnecessary words.

Length does not necessarily make a good post. Content does.

Agreed. Sometimes a one liner sums things up perfectly. I can't stand to read posts where it is redundant and they are saying the same thing in different ways just to have more than one line. So agrivating!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

There is such a thing as a worthy one liner. I will not argue that point. They are just few and far between. I'll never remove a post that is on topic, adds to the thread and is legitimate, if it is a one liner.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Reply to post by tothetenthpower

I dont believe its my browser I think its the mobile site since it appears to do this on other phones, I could be wrong.

Maybe in the future you could add links to these graphics?
Just a thought, and thanks for the timely reply.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

NP

The mobile website was going into a redesign overall over the last few years, but with the site's increased popularity among other business ventures, it's sort of fallen on the back burner unfortunately.

I'm sure at some point a better version will be released, but for the time being I suppose we have to be happy with what we have

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I have had one of my posts sensored for it's supposed off topic subject. But I strongly dissagreed with its removal. The OP had a video of Eisenhower talking about something, god knows what, something about military industrial complex. I posted something along the lines of " I watched the video, and honestly can't remember anything Eisenhower said because I was so distracted by his bald head." It got the OFFTOPIC slap! Seriously? I mean come on. What I said was funny, and maybe a little mean towards eisenhowers bald head. But it was also the truth. I honestly did not know what he said, and was honestly just too distracted by his bald shiny head. I commented on the video, and threw in a little humor, just basically trying to say the video was boring. How is this offtopic. I feel that this contributed to the conversation.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by remyrange

It contributed absolutely nothing to the conversation, beyond an off-topic comment about Eisenhower's appearance. Had you actually watched the video and had some relevant commentary about its contents, that would be great. What you did was most assuredly off-topic. Now, you honestly can't see that, or you're being deliberately obtuse to provoke an argument?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Not trying to start an argument. I just honestly dont agree.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by remyrange

Whenever you disagree with an action, you have two appropriate avenues to address it-

1) Send a PM to the staff member who initiated the action and ask for clarification

~if you don't receive what you consider an adequate response, or you'd prefer to not do that~

2) Send a message via the complaint/suggestion function which is viewable by all staff and the ownership. Include a link to the post, if it's in regard to a specific post.
edit on 1/19/2012 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join