It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

67% of Pakistani journalists say US drones attacks are acts of terrorism: survey

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

67% of Pakistani journalists say US drones attacks are acts of terrorism: survey

www.rawstory.com

WASHINGTON – Two out of three Pakistani journalists view United States drone strikes in the region as acts of terrorism, according to a new study conducted by Washington State University and Pakistan's Lahore University of Management Sciences.

Only 27 percent of Pakistani journalists said the US drone attacks did not constitute acts of terrorism. Six percent did not know. The study surveyed 395 Pakistani journalists and was supported by the Rockefeller Brothers Fund.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I must imagine, should the proverbial shoe lie on the other foot, we would likely draw the same conclusion here...

I don't need to point out the innumerable deaths and slaughter of many innocent civilians in relation to these drone strikes that have occured in recent times. It is absolutely sickening.

HOWEVER-To remain fair and balanced here, 20% of these folks voting do feel that the Mumbai slaughter, or beheading of journalist Daniel Pearl were NOT acts of terrorism---So I will let the reader draw their own conclusions on this one.

Should what our gov and military are doing with these drone strikes upon these people be considered an act of terror in and of themselves? Or do you feel this is merely "collateral damage" in a justified fight against an actual enemy combatant wishing to do us harm?

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 14-2-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Of course they're acts of terrorism.

They're bombing people..... and have no justification or right to do so.

Terrorism is only terrorism when it happens in/to the west though...

edit on 14/2/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

those 67 % are 100% RIGHT!
The rest of the journalists are us whores...
But yes : US LEADERS ARE THE TERRORISTS!
The war on terror is a war on peace!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Most terrorists think they are doing the right thing. Americans are no different.

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Same source.....

The unmanned drone strikes in the region began under the Bush administration and have continued unabated under the Obama administration. The volume and frequency of the attacks has intensified in recent years, according to collected reports.

Well we did vote for Change,
It has intensified.

That's change...

edit on 14-2-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
great post OP, I like that you provided the addition information, on those surveyed, very relevant

on topic: how can flying remotely controlled robots that deal death to a different country's citizens from above while controlled by a person behind a screen completely safe and disconnected from the actual location be seen as terrorism [end sarcasm]

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by all answers exist
on topic: how can flying remotely controlled robots that deal death to a different country's citizens from above while controlled by a person behind a screen completely safe and disconnected from the actual location be seen as terrorism [end sarcasm]

About the same as those who brainwash Muslim youths then send them out to blow themselves up AND kill civilians while safely recording at a distance their Youtube propaganda videos of the events....

No sarcasm
edit on 14-2-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

America is dead wrong when she allows the CIA to act as a military force. In the past these things were kept very secret but now they don't seem to mind that the whole world knows. I note this change with alarm. I don't know if "terrorism" is the right word or not but I do know that I am thoroughly ashamed of my country for sinking to these depths. There can be no justification. It is wrong.

Even if India and the US were coordinate a massive invasion of Pakistan and kill off all the males in the population and half the women as soon as they left the present situation would again be present. The one and only way to defeat international terrorism is to outsmart it. We, however, are not smart enough to understand this. We continue to mess with other nations as though we were international cops or something.

Too bad. America is wrong headed and because of this we will lose this conflict. In the meanwhile we waste lives on both sides and tons of money down the drain por nada.

Note for any conservatives reading: This statement does not mean I do not support our troops. It means I do not support our "defense" department. I do support our troops. I want them safe at home. How much more supportive can one be?
edit on 14-2-2011 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
These Paki "journalists" can spare me their sanctimonious bull$hit on "American terrorism". These are the same guys who applaud incidents like this: www.youtube.com...

Sometimes I wish Pakistan would fall to the fundies so India would have a reason to wipe them off the map.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Obama should be arrested for acts of terrorism using drones that has killed innocent people. And I don't believe in this 67% crap because if it was a real survey, it would be 100%!! Even the Taliban are innocent civilians. So are Al Qaeda. All of them are civilians.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
In answer to your question OP: No, these are not acts of Terrorism

They are brutal acts of murder and stupidity.

One of the real problems that confronts us are the word games involved since World War II.

Terrorists, Enemy Combatants, Detainees, Insugregents etc, are all just ways to try to draw out and lead to a personal view of the act through the word(s).

Freedom fighters, liberators, preemptive war, coalition, more words meant to draw a conclusion.

It would seem we have become either to dumb, or to fightened to call a rose by it's name any more, in a never ending attempt by Government and media to get the populace to draw certain conclusions.

No this is not terrorism, the goal is not a political one. It's a business goal. Murder, Inc. is simply doing what it does best, murder and kill people in our name, with our money to steal and secure opium, oil and minerals, and force people into a world dominated by corporate outlets, distribution systems and control.

Because we no longer call a spade a spade, people can reject it when ever it's directed at them.

It's a little harder to claim that the U.S. Drones are not murdering people left and right all over the world.

It's a little harder to say it's not stupid and bankrupting America and making us far more enemies than friends.

So no it's not terrorism, it's just murder and stupidity, with murder almost always stupid, if your backs not up against the wall in a corner and you have no other choice.

Ours certainly isn't, but our government's policies are designed to eventually put us all back up against the wall in a corner.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by trailertrash

The one and only way to defeat international terrorism is to outsmart it. We, however, are not smart enough to understand this. We continue to mess with other nations as though we were international cops or something.

No, the way to defeat terrorism is to kill as many terrorists as you need to force them into abandoning their ways. If every engagement between the Taliban/AQ resulted in the attacking force being annihilated, how long do you think the Taliban/AQ would or even could remain in the fight? Negotiation with them just strengthens them.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I agree 110% , was just sticking with the articles side of the coin

I also agree with other posters point most terrorists don't see themselves as the bad guys
edit on 14-2-2011 by all answers exist because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
These Paki "journalists" can spare me their sanctimonious bull$hit on "American terrorism". These are the same guys who applaud incidents like this: www.youtube.com...

Sometimes I wish Pakistan would fall to the fundies so India would have a reason to wipe them off the map.

People like you disgust me. You are what is wrong with the world.

link   
The usa goverment are TERRORISTS thats all they know.but whats worse the goverment for killing (women and kids) or the people for sitting on the fat lazy a** and letting it happon.

same as world war 2 the german people new of the camps and what was going on but they turned a blind eye to it.bit like the usa today

your no better than the nazi the usa goverment is the new Third Reich

if you dont agree to there unreasonable demands, they go to war.
you have no shame, embarrassment, only anger, and resentment and pure hate for other human beings(just like the Third Reich)

Life should not be about Greed,Hunger and war...what happened to us all .what happened to Love, compasion and forgiveness?

link   

I must imagine, should the proverbial shoe lie on the other foot, we would likely draw the same conclusion here...

No, if the same were happening to the US it would be closer to 100% and they would say it was an act of war and attack that country...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

IMHO
Unfortunately like the germans, the us peeps while pay the price for the things done in their name
unless they fix it before someone else has to...

However I think when Americans get around to trying to fix this...
they may find out about these same drones first hand.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Why do they use the drones on innocents?

It doesn't make sense to me, if our tech is so advanced why can't we just target specific targets instead of killing innocent people? Unless I'm missing something about the goal of the drones.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Odd. That's a pretty low percentage because 100% of Canadian journalists think it's terrorism.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join