It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tanning may be addictive!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
In a recent study it was found that tanning may be addictive. In a story in abcnews.com Marjorie M. Montemayor reported that ultraviolet radiation give you a "natural high", people feel more relaxed when they are exposed to UV radiation. Endorphins are released which create feelings of happiness and reduce pain and stress.

This may explain why people ignore warnings about the sun causing skin cancer, It also explains why tanning booths are so popular! I know for myself I always feel better when I am out in the sun!

Dru

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
*shakes head* Not me. I'm like a vampire. Well I don't burst into flames but I burn in no time flat and a short about of pleasure isn't worth days of pain to me.

Plus I just like the pale look better then the tanned look.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I think a factor in the addiction, if there is one, is also the results.

Sort of like how body builders get addicted to the results steroids provide (they've got a name for this now, bigorexia I think it's called).

Being a person that has recently finished high school and has been around teenagers for the past few years, I've noticed that a lot of the people going to these places just really like the way they look with a tan, and after a while just need to have one.

My 2 cents.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
So I guess the overdose on this addiction is a sun-burn, right!?

I've had one too many of those to pick up this bad habit again....I've learned my lesson - hehe

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
As someone who lives in a northern climate, I can attest to the good feelings brought on by exposure to the sun. Increased energy levels and better mood (the opposite of seasonal affective disorder or SAD). Also don't forget the body's natural need for the production of certain vitamins triggered by sun exposure (especially vit. D) and keeping correct homeostasis.

I never bought into all the "stay out of the sun" hype promoted by the companies that make sun block. Using common sense (due to depletion of the ozone layer - a man made problem!) is enough for me. The sun is too physiologically important for humans to completely refrain from any exposure.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Its funny to watch all those girl out there in the sun. Knowing that when they hit there thirties their skin will look like leather and the wrinkles plain as day from a mile away. I got a friend who is 3 years younger then I am. She layed out in the sun every summer. Just had to have that tan. I went to see her in June. The first thing she said was " don't you ever age?" I said yeah I do, but remember all those times I told you was ruining your skin when you was tanning? She gose yeah I remember. Then I said now you know why. Just look in the mirror. We go to the mirror side by side. I said you are 3 years younger then I, and you have more wrinkles them my mother and you skin looks like leather. Now look at mine. It is soft still has it elasticness. This is why I told you to stay out of the sun.

I heard the warning , and I stayed out of the sun. Now at age of 38 I am glad I did so.

If you want to keep that nice soft young looking skin SAY OUT OF THE SUN!

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The sun just makes people feel better period. It is well known, that during fall and winter, suicide rates go up, depression increases, and people generally feel less motivated and energetic. The sun gives you energy, and makes you happy. As for being addictive, lots of people like certain things a lot, and want to keep doing them because they enjoy it. Tanning usually improves your looks, so people who do it a lot probably just want to always look like that, so they do it more often. It's the same with people who work out a lot, or do other things they like or think improves them.

[edit on 16-7-2004 by Shoktek]

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I prefer indirect sunlight. I get headaches if out too long under direct sunglight plus it's irritating to the eyes.

I also think induced tans are ugly.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Of course people get addicted to tanning- its all to with vainity...

I actually feel better when i am slightly tanned, and yes i admit to a few sneaky sunbeds. I am naturaly pale ( dark hair pale skin) and thats ok in the winter- but i hate being pasty in the summer.

A little tan is ok- when you are sensible. And may i say i have never been burnt

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I will never set foot in a tanning salon or anything like that. It isn't natural, so I don't want to take any chances. Tons of my friends ages 14-16 go tanning regularly, all year round. Some go to tanning beds, and others get the spray on tans done. (Mystic Tan or something.) I really don't see how either can be good for you, whether it's the UV rays or chemicals being sprayed on you.
I allow myself to get tanned in the summer naturally while I am swimming or just outside, but I will never go out of my way to do it. And I always try to have some sunscreen on my face, even if it it just the SPF in my moisturizer.

top topics

join