It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC Panorama:WikiLeaks: The Secret Story (ON NOW!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

BBC Panorama:WikiLeaks: The Secret Story (ON NOW!)

www.bbc.co.uk

As the extradition hearing to decide whether WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange must return to Sweden to face a rape allegation reaches its judgement, Panorama talks to his former right hand man who walked out last year.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
BBC's Panorama programme doing a story (or a smear) on Wikileaks and Assange RIGHT NOW.

Programme finishes @ 21:00 GMT, but will probably available on BBC iplayer later.

Only 10 mins left..

May be on BBC 3 later too...this is really mainly for UK members, but all of you should be able to get it online.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

the best thing BBC did,, was bring back Doctor Who..

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Just finished mate

I must admit theres a lot of pretty irritating stuff that Julian has done that i had never heard about, Maybe hes not the Hero everyone makes him out to be

Edit: I do have to add before people start assuming what i mean (as they freqeuntly do) I have no problem with wikileaks and i fully support what they do and the brave indivduals that contribute.
However it would seem that when other members of his team were Vigilant.Julian let down some of his team members/contactees when he was in a position of trust, And this is from the man himself and the people who he worked with

edit on 14/2/11 by TedHodgson because: edit to ellaborate

edit on 14/2/11 by TedHodgson because: spelling

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It was sadly obvious and expected that sooner or later the elites propaganda machine, the BBC, would try and discredit Wiki Leaks and Julian Assange. And the guy they've got to do this piece of journalistic excrement is the same guy who screamed like a child throwing a tizzy fit while interviewing a Scientologist...
The BBC have no integrity, no clue as to whats going on in the real world and not an independent clear thought in their empty heads.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CholmondleyWarner

Technically IT didnt discredit wikileaks at all, Infact if anything it advertised it.

Also nothing bad was said about julian Assange it would seem he managed to portray a pretty petty individual all by himself

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I was waiting for the BBC to do a 'piece' on them too.

Haven't actually watched this myself yet, just PVR'd it for later, so i can't comment on how it all went for WL and Assange.

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Aye things have changed quite a lot in the last ten years with the BBC just after 11/9 they decided to actualy question a lot of serious issues the corporate controlled press and governments were feeding us. Dont think that went down very well, but then lets be honest the BBC is the largest and richest news corporation on the planet.

Pretty handy tool to have at your disposal and equaly risky to allow any "fringe" theorys developing considering the massive, global audience they command.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson

Technically IT didnt discredit wikileaks at all, Infact if anything it advertised it.

Also nothing bad was said about julian Assange it would seem he managed to portray a pretty petty individual all by himself

The chances are that Assange has been told not to talk to the media until his rape charge has been decided on so for the BBc who should really have known this (lets be honest-they did know it but used it to their advantage in an attempt to put him in a bad light) to harrass him for interviews and even go to the police station to shout questions at him, was quite absurd and infantile.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
reply to post by spikey

Just finished mate

I must admit theres a lot of pretty irritating stuff that Julian has done that i had never heard about, Maybe hes not the Hero everyone makes him out to be

edit on 14/2/11 by TedHodgson because: spelling

I've got to be honest Ted, i don't really care too much about Assange 'the man' one way or the other..i don't need him to be a saint or a sinner..just to carry on doing what he's doing to keep PTB from 'peeing' all over us, and telling us it's raining.

I'm happy enough he and WL are doing their thing...what kinds of people they are personally isn't really interesting to me...i know we all of us can be good and nice, and nasty and bad at times, so if Assange is a bit of an arse, that's fine with me, so long as he's a bit of an arse, who publishes government wrongdoings.

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The programme was supposed to air last week but was replaced with an episode focusing on the Egyptian protests. I contacted the BBC to see why it had been pulled despite being due to air on the eve of his court date. Thought I had exposed some sort of censorship of information, seemingly not.

What was your impression of the episode?

I must say I was drawn in when WikiLeaks first came to my attention, but I must say that having read a lot of threads on here I'm only all the more interested to see how they play their cards in future, and will what they have be the saviour or the sword? Or neither?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

He's alright to give interviews, he just can't talk about the legal stuff too much for obvious reasons.

I saw him doing an interview with an Oz TV news crew the other day, and now the BBC, so he's definitely up for an interview, just not if you happen to be a ditsy, arrogant CNN reporter who couldn't keep your trap shut if your job depended on it..then he's not too keen (walked out on CNN interview).

But i hear ya..he's understandably and wisely being careful what he says..so would i be, if i were in his shoes right now.
Cheers.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I agree with that sentiment. All that programme seem to do was portray Assange in a really bad light!

Now I know most will say... Then why didn't he speak his part, or he set himself up for a fall? Well, it's like this, if you have a noose hanging over your head and ready to strangle the life out of you in 10 days time, aaaannnnnnddddddddd with your lawyers objections in case it hurt his chances... Would you put that at risk?

Typical BBC not wanting to create a Martyr!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Hypernova86

Who knows how it'll go for Wikileaks and Assange ultimately.

I can speculate that Wikileaks probably won't stand the test of time in itself..in the eyes of world governments, it's simply too inconvenient and embarrassing to allow to continue for too long.

Infiltration, followed by corruption scandal, internal squabbling and infighting, damaging revelations of one sort or another, and then a fat bird, screaming a catchy little operatic number at the top of her lungs.

That would be my guess.

As for Assange..he's too hot to do much about. The entire world and his dog know about Julian Assange, thanks in part to an extremely botched and rather lazy character assassination attempt, which has backfired very badly for the instigators. Now Assange is very, very public, and support for him based on principles at stake alone, if not for him personally, has grown exponentially and continues to grow around the world.

They cannot allow this to continue for too long either.

They cannot erase him, an accident or heart attack would be highly suspicious, discrediting his character has failed miserably....what's left?

Well, that's easy. Don't work on Assange, work on the world instead.
The old faithful..the ever trusty and dependable...the downright insidious old stalwart...Ladies and Gentlemen, put your hands together please, i present to you...Divide and conquer!

They won't have to bother to destroy Assange...we'll all do that for them..with a gentle nudge in the right direction of course.

That shouldn't be the end though, i'm willing to bet the world likes the idea of knowing exactly what crap their hired representatives are really getting up to, and would like to continue to know, so groups will spring up all over and pick up where Wikileaks will leave off..and 'they' know it, and are prepared to turn off the Internet to prevent it too, i reckon.

Hopefully, some day - all governments will be honest and true and made up entirely of people that have our interests as top priority instead of their own, and whistleblowers and websites like Wikileaks won't be needed at all anymore...but until that happens in reality, we're always going to need people like Assange and his colleagues, if we want to know what really goes on.

Cheers for your post.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
I've got to be honest Ted, i don't really care too much about Assange 'the man' one way or the other..i don't need him to be a saint or a sinner..just to carry on doing what he's doing to keep PTB from 'peeing' all over us, and telling us it's raining.

I'm happy enough he and WL are doing their thing...what kinds of people they are personally isn't really interesting to me...i know we all of us can be good and nice, and nasty and bad at times, so if Assange is a bit of an arse, that's fine with me, so long as he's a bit of an arse, who publishes government wrongdoings.

Cheers.

Unless of course he's the kind of arse who is manipulating the data he is publishing for a specific goal that is not in our best intrest. If he puts lives at risk or if he is withholding some data to make it look worse or to cause more issues then that makes him just another criminal.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

I couldn't argue with any if that. I think I'm probably in good company in feeling anxious about it all. You read something labelled as a conspiracy and yet it can often be shown to be fact, especially as far as some government conspiracies go. Some of what we 'know' they do is fairly disturbing, so it doesn't take a great creative mind to wonder just how disturbing it could get. But I see some people exhibiting what seems like blind faith that wikileaks alone will conquer the ills of this world without accepting that we all have a responsibility.

Ive felt recently that the news has skimmed any stories about leaks and newspaper coverage has been scarce. At least the episode might keep the cause in peoples minds, weather Assange is involved or not.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Well, the propaganda against wikileaks has won.
We are now discussing ONLY Assange, more celebrity worship and hate from the zombies.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo
Well, the propaganda against wikileaks has won.
We are now discussing ONLY Assange, more celebrity worship and hate from the zombies.

Was that ever in any doubt?
Those who want to silence Assange and WL already control the media so if you refuse to report on the leaks, no matter how interesting and damaging they are, then you contain any potentially bad information getting out. Its sad but a fact that most people only believe news that appears on SKY, Fox CNN and the contemptible BBC...

top topics

join