It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Austin Considers $50 a year, unlimited electric car charging service

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Austin Considers $50 a year, unlimited electric car charging service

www.bizjournals.com

The proposed rate would apply to Austin Energy's "Plug-in Everywhere" program — a network of public charging stations for electric vehicles. The city would offer a $25 six-month subscription for unlimited service, including sales tax. Without the subscription, it would cost about $2 per hour of charging.

Austin Energy is installing more than 100 public charging stations throughout the city by the end of this summer. The Coulomb Technologies Inc. stations are being paid for in part through federal stimulus grants. Each pump costs about $700 to install.

Read more: Austin conside
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Now THIS is a potentially exciting story to keep an eye on!

Fifty dollars for an entire YEAR worth of free charge ups?

If we can tackle the costs of the vehicles themselves, this would surely be one HUGE incentive to ween ourselves off from the ever-greedy and pollutional oil industries...They are an enormous bane upon society and planetary ecology, as well as what many of our "conflicts" are being perpetuated about, across the globe.

Let's hear it folks! Pros and cons?

www.bizjournals.com

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Sounds good to me

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Good find and story..
Here is my take on it...

It sounds good on paper, my math skills are not that great,
I predict,this goes bust, bankrupt in 5 years.
It is an unsustainable system that will flop....
The cost off electricity would sky rocket..

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Sounds like good news

I am suspicious of the low cost and I wonder if it is a typical contract that has appealing introductory prices, then jumps up for later service. I am curious if they will install these at service stations or will they be building new facilities. This is really cool in a state that is so oil oriented, I bet there is some resistance from the industry here.
Nice find DD...

peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Low cost start...everyone buys electric cars and dumps ICE cars...a year down the line, the annual subs go from $50 to $2000....what are you going to do about it? ICE vehicles will have been virtually banned, and even if you kept yours, the taxes to run it would cost more than the electric option.

It's a 'Come on in...have a look around, kind of deal now, but when they have you by the nuts, they'll charge (no pun) what they like.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Agreed, this is a kewl idea, but the price of the cars is still a bit inhibitor.

My avg annual travel = 12000 miles
My car gets approximately 30 mpg

Total fuel consumption over the year = 400 gallons
Total fuel costs = $1200 (@ $3 / gallon )

The Nissan Lear is essentially just the Nissan Versa with an electric drive.

Nissan Leaf = $26, 200

Nissan Versa = $16,000

$10K differance. That $1150 in fuel savings doesn't really justify paying a whole lot more for the same car, really.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Low cost start...everyone buys electric cars and dumps ICE cars...a year down the line, the annual subs go from $50 to $2000....what are you going to do about it? ICE vehicles will have been virtually banned, and even if you kept yours, the taxes to run it would cost more than the electric option.

It's a 'Come on in...have a look around, kind of deal now, but when they have you by the nuts, they'll charge (no pun) what they like.

Hey kids, want some candy? Don't worry, the first one is free.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillynilly
Good find and story..
Here is my take on it...

It sounds good on paper, my math skills are not that great,
I predict,this goes bust, bankrupt in 5 years.
It is an unsustainable system that will flop....
The cost off electricity would sky rocket..

I'm not so sure, though perhaps it is wishful thinking mind you.

The thing about electricity is that the electrons keep flowing, and either the energy is used or it is waisted, the major obstacle is and has always been storage. So, if there is a way to avoid peak hours when charging, the electricity should remain available and affordable.

That being said, this is coming from the perspective of someone who gets all of their electricity produced through hydro-electric plants. If, as is the case in many American cities and states, Austin gets its electricity from running coal or oil-based power plants, your initial assessment may be correct.

Either way, it is a step in an encouraging direction.

the Billmeister

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Well, there is one small upside.. a way to game the system..

Charge your EV for free, then take it home and use a converter to plug it into your home grid. Then run your house overnight for free from your EV. Just have to program it to kick back over to the main feed when the car reaches a certain % charge.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Billmeister

I agree, the thing is it just sounds to good to be true.

When something sounds to good to be true,_____.............

I just don't want people getting involved into some big electric company scam/scheme...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Electric cars are a joke they cost between 20 to 30 thousand pounds here in the UK, alright the mistubishi-i will only cost you 200 pound every 12,000 miles to charge it but they are a ripp off.

I would much rather buy a second hand subaru and blow 25 grand on petrol having a good time. Any idea how long you will have to drive to make your money back on that??, lolololol.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Now THIS is a potentially exciting story to keep an eye on!

Fifty dollars for an entire YEAR worth of free charge ups?

If we can tackle the costs of the vehicles themselves, this would surely be one HUGE incentive to ween ourselves off from the ever-greedy and pollutional oil industries...They are an enormous bane upon society and planetary ecology, as well as what many of our "conflicts" are being perpetuated about, across the globe.

Let's hear it folks! Pros and cons?

www.bizjournals.com

Of course most of the energy comes from fossil fuel coal, and strip mining for the coal. Those who think electric cars result in no pollution, are kidding themselves. You are just mainly changing the nature of the pollution and moving it.

Extracting coal from the ground is substantially more destructive than drilling for oil
edit on 14-2-2011 by firepilot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by firepilot

Well this is the thing isnt it, I think people are under the impression, out of sight out of mind and if only they really took the time to understand how power is actualy deliverd to there homes. They want us to use energy saving light bulbs but yet, plugging a car into the mains is fine?, what?

If people actualy understood the implications of everyone plugging in a car to there mains and how much FOSSIL FUELS are going to have to be burned at a power station to deal with this demand, GOOB BYE BLUE SKIES!!!.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I see this as a combination of a sort of bait-and-switch and foot-in-the-door technique. If this takes full effect, a lot of people will trade in their gasoline vehicles for electric vehicles. In order to "meet the increasing demand" for electricity and new charging stations, the price would go up. Once the majority of the people have converted to electric vehicles, the price will skyrocket.

Most people cannot change vehicles easily so they would have no choice but to pay the now outrageous annual fees or the per hour fee which is now more expensive than gasoline was. Meanwhile, the oil industry has now collapsed due to the lack of demand and the economy of the state where this originated - Texas - has collapsed as well due to it's dependence on the oil industry's success.

So in the end what we have is a fuel system that, granted, is better for the environment than gasoline, but really does nothing to help and only will hurt the economy even more than it already is.
edit on 2/14/2011 by PETROLCOIN because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The cars are way too expensive.

Buying one for this deal locks you in for when they inevitably jack up the rates as a previous poster mentioned.

And who is paying the difference for this subsidy? All tax payees, fuel tax payers, just sourced from state tax payers or are all of us on the hook by virtue of federal funding?

I'd hate to think the money they're stealing from me is being used to foster a scheme to funnel more cash in the hands of auto makers by way of enticing and short sighted promises which will lead to a major boon for the power companies in the long run who by the way burn a hella lot of coal.

Follow the bread crumbs and it's time for the big coal bailout lol.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnze

Well this is the thing isnt it, I think people are under the impression, out of sight out of mind and if only they really took the time to understand how power is actualy deliverd to there homes. They want us to use energy saving light bulbs but yet, plugging a car into the mains is fine?, what?

If people actualy understood the implications of everyone plugging in a car to there mains and how much FOSSIL FUELS are going to have to be burned at a power station to deal with this demand, GOOB BYE BLUE SKIES!!!.

It may actually result in less pollution in the city, since electric cars are going to be inherently smaller and no pollution from idling. However, some people just think they are a zero pollution way of transportation, and there is nothing that is zero pollution. The closest we could get to that would be with nuclear power and electric vehicles powered from that grid.

But most of our electricity is from coal, which tends to be strip mined, and results in quite a bit of environmental destruction and pollution.

I am not against electric powered vehicles, just the misconceptions that often go along with them

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Not all the electricity has to come from coal - unused windpower in the small am hours is likely to be a contributor, for example, as is nuclear. And generating electricity, even from coal, is still more efficient than buning petrol in ICE's.

I agree the possibility of future charge increases is obvious & it seems pretty dumb not to address this - but I suspect the idea is to create a market for electric cars - there is some doubt as to how much the economies of scale can help with the cost of battery packs, but suer as heck everyone is trying hard to get them down - although chinese curbs on the export of rare-earth elements won't help either!

ultimately tho - it might just have to cost more to run a car - the idea that everything can get cheaper and cheaper forever is patent nonsense, but we seem to be behaving as if it was the case.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Of course most of the energy comes from fossil fuel coal, and strip mining for the coal. Those who think electric cars result in no pollution, are kidding themselves. You are just mainly changing the nature of the pollution and moving it.

Yes and no.

Electric vehicles are approximately up to 75% efficient, whereas ICE are only up to 35%..or thereabouts.

So, yeah the electricity to charge the vehicle will still be coming from fossil sources, it will be consumed by the electric vehicles much more efficiently than the ICE vehicles would burning the fuel internally. A lot more efficiently.

So it's a bit of a misnomer to compare the two vehicles in that way.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
As an Austinite myself, I feel I must point a few things out:

This is one of the most corrupt cities in existence. Sure, it's a huge liberal bastion of freedom and an island of sanity lost in the middle of the rest of Texas, but we're cursed because this city does everything it can to get our money away from us. The City of Austin runs its own electric company. It sends out the bills, and it reaps the profits. They've contracted the "Municipal Services Bureau" (a private company) to be their police department's collection agency, because it's probably cheaper on them that way. They want to start making us pay for downtown parking on weekends. *Fleets* of Enforcement Vans comb the poorer parts of the city constantly and will fine you if your grass is too long or too brown. (Did I mention they also own the water company?) Every one of the million of us has to pay like, I forget; $15 to $20 every month to "rent" our trash can from them, a not-big-enough plastic thing on wheels worth maybe $5; they will not pick up trash that's in any other kind of container. They even charge us extra if the lid is pushed up a little because there's too much stuff in it ($6 per incidence, I believe, but I don't have a bill in front of me). "Wastewater" costs many times more than the actual water. Don't even get me started on property taxes. This city rakes in *billions* off us poor chumps, but our school district has about half the budget it needs. I can't for the life of me figure out where all their income outgoes; it sure doesn't go towards OUR benefit.

This will be no different. I promise you.

Oh, I forgot to mention... Every utility bill *starts* at $29.99, even if you've used ZERO services. "Customer charge." We even have to pay for the privilege of getting raped.
edit on 2/14/2011 by Thought Provoker because: Forgot to mention the raping.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join