It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pasta-Shaped Light From Spinning Black Holes Could Challenge Einstein: (check this light out!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Rotating black holes could leave a twisty signature on light escaping their gravitational maws. If this screwy light can be detected from Earth, it would give astronomers a new way to detect exotic black holes and a new test of Einstein’s theory of general relativity, says a team of physicists. “For relativity, it’s very important,” said physicist Martin Bojowald at Penn State University, who was not involved in the new work. “There are very few classic tests of relativity. It now seems that we are pretty close to actually using this.”

Image: 1) J. Bergeron/Sky & Telescope

Black holes are greedy beasts. Not only do they attract matter so strongly that even light can get trapped in their great gravitational bellies, they also grab hold of the fabric of space-time in their vicinity. When a black hole spins — and astronomers expect that most do, although none have been definitively observed — it swirls its surrounding space-time around with it like water spiraling around a drain. This phenomenon, called frame-dragging, has been proven to work even around bodies as small as Earth. Observations of two Earth-orbiting satellites over the last few decades show that the satellites drag by several feet per year as Earth’s spin tows the fabric of space and time in circles.

A plot of the twisted light emitted from near a black hole. The greater the difference in color from the center of the image, "the more wiggly or corkscrew-y the wave is

Getting precise measurements of the spins of lots of black holes could help figure out how black holes form in the first place. The twisted-light signature could also help detect the faint glow black holes may emit as they evaporate, called Hawking radiation, which was predicted in 1974 but has yet to be observed in space. But Thidé is most excited about the possibility of knocking over Einstein. His computer experiments were based on the predictions of Einstein’s theory of general relativity, which describes how gravity warps time and space. Since Einstein’s 1915 paper describing the theory, only about five real-world tests have been completed.

Source: www.wired.com...#

Well, as presented at the main article, it does appear they can challenge Einstein's theory. Seems to make sense.

Wouldn't it be interesting if he (Einstein) was alive today and had the tools/tech/equipment we have today. I wonder what he would be saying now-a-days?

So, any ATS Einstein fans out there that think they are full of it? Or on the verge of proving it incorrect etc?

I'm interested.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
So, any ATS Einstein fans out there that think they are full of it? Or on the verge of proving it incorrect etc?
The fate of Einstein's theory will ultimately be similar to the fate of Newton's theory, in that we still use Newton's theory for non-relativistic approximations and it still does a pretty good job at that. But just as Einstein's theory is a more complete picture than Newton's, I expect the theory that follows Einstein's will be another case of a more complete theory which doesn't prove the old theory completely wrong.

Also Einstein's theory has passed all the tests so far, why should we expect it will suddenly fail this one?

There are some challenges, first not only do we need to find a black hole which because they emit no light can be exceedingly difficult, but there would also need to be a light source behind it from our perspective. I also wonder if the axis of rotation would need to be pointed more or less toward Earth for us to see the twisting, though I'm not completely sure about that.

I really don't get why they would have any reason to believe such an experiment could prove Einstein wrong. On the other hand, we have lots of theories about black holes but observations are lacking.

Since I happen to have a black hole animation already uploaded to ATS media when they used to allow that, I'll post the video, it shows how the black hole theoretically forms an Einstein ring:

(click to open player in new window)

We've seen the Einstein rings form from other objects like galaxies, but to my knowledge have yet to see one formed by a black hole.

If we do find an Einstein ring around a black hole, I suppose that is where we'd look for the twisting motion of the light per the article in the OP. The light has to come from somewhere else, as it can't be coming out of the black hole itself, right?

edit on 14-2-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Maybe the light could be from stars near the blackhole?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Thanks for a great reply. I will have to obsorbe this one (the video you posted).

I admit-total noob at all of this but I find it fascinating.

I especially love it when ATSers put their input in-input that makes the difference.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

They will find light warping due to plasma focusing effects, but I highly doubt it's going to look anything like his simulation picture.

It will be nice to see yet another failure of Einstein's retarded theories besides:

-LIGO fail
-CDMS fail
-Gravity Probe B fail
-Dark Flows detected
-Lack of Quasar time dilation
-"Superluminal" jets
-Quantized quasar red shift
-etc.. etc.. etc.. etc..

I'm not sure how many times his stupid theories have to fail before scientists will finally throw in the towel.

Hopefully its soon considering the amount of my tax dollars they are squandering on it.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I believe that if they find this type of light, it validates his theory. Wave / particle aspects of light, some can get away, think of this as bleeding through the center shooting out, in a twisted sense.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Could God actually be a Pasta Monster rather than a Spagetti Monster?
edit on 14/2/11 by troubleshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
reply to post by anon72

They will find light warping due to plasma focusing effects, but I highly doubt it's going to look anything like his simulation picture.

It will be nice to see yet another failure of Einstein's retarded theories besides:

-LIGO fail
-CDMS fail
-Gravity Probe B fail
-Dark Flows detected
-Lack of Quasar time dilation
-"Superluminal" jets
-Quantized quasar red shift
-etc.. etc.. etc.. etc..

I'm not sure how many times his stupid theories have to fail before scientists will finally throw in the towel.

Hopefully its soon considering the amount of my tax dollars they are squandering on it.

Because regurgitating talking points from people you've listened to gives you the right to call Einsteins theory retarded.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

No, the fact I'm a human being gives me the right to call Einstein's theories retarded.

The fact that I have a laundry list of failures simply proves me correct.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

No, the fact I'm a human being gives me the right to call Einstein's theories retarded.

The fact that I have a laundry list of failures simply proves me correct.

Sorry, but it's funny to hear you try to inflate your ego by name calling a scientific theory.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

lol good one. I wished I would have seen it last night.

I was wondering what his deal was.

S

new topics

top topics

join