It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Clamps Down on Opposition Leaders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Iran Clamps Down on Opposition Leaders

www.foxnews.com

Dozens of Iranian opposition supporters were reportedly arrested on Monday after participating in a banned rally in Tehran to support popular uprisings in Egypt and Tunisia, according to an Iranian opposition website.

The opposition called for a demonstration Monday in solidarity with Egypt's popular revolt that a few days earlier forced the president there to resign after nearly 30 years in office.

Foreign media are banned from covering street protests in Iran.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
english.aljazeera.net

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
White House reiterates demand that Iran allow protests
Target Iran: The real reason behind the bullseye pegged on Iran

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I'm not sure how big this is, considering media cannot report from the streets over there. With all of the turmoil in the mid east right now, the obvious question is will this lead to an overthrow like in Egypt?

While no one can know, it does seem more likely that the American govt would intervene if violence significantly escalates in Iran considering most politicians stance. It also makes you wonder if Isreal would get involved.

This may be nothing and insignificant, but it could be like Egypt.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 14-2-2011 by BenIndaSun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
As far as I am concerned Iran doesn't stand a chance, they allowed the overthrow of Mubarak.
I hope I am wrong.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
The Iranian leadership has shown its willingness to kill as many people as it needs to in order to stay in power. Nothing short of an internal coup or massive demonstrations has any chance.

Good luck to them though.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I hope and pray for them the best.
Godspeed Persians.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The only way the Iranian regime is overthrown is if the Kurds attack with the help of the CIA at the order of Obammer. Don't see it happening.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Here we PRAISE the Egyptian security force for PROTECTING the citizens...
Here we CRITISIZE the Iranian security force for CLASHING with the citizens..

My question is... what would happen in North America if we revolted to the extremes of Egypt and Iran?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
americans are much more revolting than Egyptians

However as another poster mentined - the Iranian theo-fascists are perfectly willing to massacre anyone who they feel the need to - Mubarak did not have that capacity - even if he had the wish - he had no equivalent to the religous fanatics of the Revolutionary guard and the Basij.

so alas I see no up side to the democrats in Iran from this - just more repression from as the religous dictatorship feels threatened.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
Here we PRAISE the Egyptian security force for PROTECTING the citizens...
Here we CRITISIZE the Iranian security force for CLASHING with the citizens..

My question is... what would happen in North America if we revolted to the extremes of Egypt and Iran?

The usual dual standards.

If you throw a bottle or light a dumpster on fire at a G-20 in the U.S. or Canada you are an anarchist and a vandal who is deserving of the police beating and arrest you recieve.

If you throw a bottle or light a dumpster on fire in Theran then the same government(s) (U.S. and Canada) are going to say you were simply responding to a oppressive police state and authoritarian regime in an historic struggle.

We already know what our governments do, Sound Cannons, Rubber Bullets, Bean Bag Guns, Water Hoses, Phlanx after Phlanx of anonymous Riot Police in full boddy armer with Plexi Glass Shields, Tasers, and Batons will close in on you with the same precision of a Roman Legion.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

edit on 14-2-2011 by SirMike because: wrong thread

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Here, do me a favor you courageous freedom fighter who tirelessly battles an oppressive police state.

I have my own police state right here in the United States to fight against. So thanks for the invitation to help out perfect strangers do what they should be doing for themselves, while you seem to think me and mine would be better off ignoring our own problems here at home, but, I think I will stay put and fight the good fight right here.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I kind of figured that the ringleaders in the opposition were going to be neutralized by the Iranian security services. They can ban foreign coverage of these protests, but they find clever ways to get the information out. Moreover, I think the leaders went public about their intentions to hold demonstrations, because they expected to be arrested.

Perhaps, they believe the response will be harsh and some martyrdom is what the movement needs? They need to push the regime to its limits so every man, woman, and child can see just how brutal and callous they can be in a desperate ploy to maintain stability and their monopoly on power. I wish them the best, but it we are not talking about Egypt here. Moreover, the Theocracy has shown themselves to be quite ruthless and diabolical when dealing with serious threats to their rule. This is a very dangerous undertaking for all involved, and hopefully the people can keep their resolve this time amid the carnage that awaits them.

top topics

join