It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Stirring at Mount Saint Helens - 2/14/1011

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Those webicorders are interesting... I'm in the PNW too... I was about 7 when St.Helens went last time and remember it pretty distinctly...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
aw crap - WORRY

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

There have been others already in addition to your list including one a bit larger

3.2 2011/02/08 16:36:36 48.562 -123.129 50.8 8 km ( 5 mi) WNW of Friday Harbor, WA

Westcoast on a scale from 1 to 10 - 10 being the worse - can you tell us how concerned you are?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

edit on 14-2-2011 by crazydaisy because: double post

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Thanks for all the good updates; I'm in Walla Walla I remember the last time St. Helens blew not fun, not fun at all. Those of you in the danger zones; keep alert and stay safe. To my knowledge we haven't felt any quakes here although I do watch the fault lines to the south/southwest of us. We've had small quakes here in the not too distant past so it's something to pay attention to. As always I'm prepared for the worst case scenario.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by adam79
aw crap - WORRY

Capital "W"

Worry........ who me?

_____living in the shadow /
anyone wanna buy a piece o' land???
edit on 2/14/11 by darrman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
It shows clearly as a 4.3 on the Iris Monitor: They also had another 4.5 in Germany today.

www.iris.edu...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Well, now that things have calmed down, I would give it a 2.5 to 3.0. I was a 4 or so earlier.

If there were signs of a pending eruption I would be a 5 - 6, depending on the size, only because I still have family in the path of the normal ashfall.

Rainier makes me more anxious. I am hoping those wierd seismos are just glitches and all is quiet by tomorrow.

If Rainier were going to blow (which there is absolutely not even a hint of it) I would be 8

Glacier or Baker would be a 10. If one of those blow (a REAL eruption), it would be grab the kids, pets, hook up the trailer and RUN. The lahars from either one would literally bury my house under a whole lotta lahar. I recently found out my house sits on top of the last lahar from Glacier Peak. Those are my REAL concerns.

Oh..and the puget sound quake was last week. Its an odd one too, for sure. Lots of that lately.

Another article (with video) from a local Seattle news network:

Spokesman Bill Steele with the University of Washington seismology lab in Seattle said there are no signs of volcanic activity, but the quakes could represent changes in the stress field at the volcano

Souce

That may not seem like much, I think it says a lot.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
And in case anyone has forgot it's almost Easter again,, and my theory is that we may have another incomming wave thus bio-bio,,chile, thus could be preclude to something stronger but on a definite amplitute. Don't look in look outward for source in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Hi westcoast, great thread you have going on here and fantastic observing by you and many of your posters! I remember going to Mt. St. Helens a few years ago, and all I can say is Wow, and keep on with the due diligence!

By the way, and I am not implying any correlation here at all, but there was just an X-class solar flare. I know you go by the Solar Activity Watch thread sometimes and I thought you mind find that interesting.

Solar Activity Watch Thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Solarcycle24:
www.solarcycle24.com...

and the Breaking News ATs thread on it:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 14-2-2011 by lasertaglover because: links

edit on 14-2-2011 by lasertaglover because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
When I was a kid, my grandparents took my brother and I to Mt St Helens. Around the very early 90s possibly.

The whole area was dead then. Trees laying all over like toothpicks, pumice rocks covered everything for miles it seemed.

We went up to the mountain, I remember being scared it was so massive and daunting.

I was most amazed by the chunk of the mountain it blew down range a few miles. Mind blowing.
I still have ashes and pumice from that visit. It's one of those little things I kept.

Here is some info that I find interesting.

Since about 1400 A.D., eruptions have occurred at a rate of about one per 100 years. Before the 1980 eruption, it had been 130 years since Mt. St. Helens last erupted.

link

If this has any merit at all, than we shouldn't have a "major" eruption any time soon.

But it could still happen next month. Things like this are really up in the air and unknown.

Still great subject though.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

That is not wind on those instruments. It is also not a computer clitch, software problem or ice. I am not sure exactly what we are looking at as I am at home now. I will fully review from my office tomorrow what I can on my end. Yes, Odd - very Odd. I don't think I have ever seen this signature like this before?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

So that works out to 60/40,,,,,, u know hundred yrs aint as long as i remeber it being.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Corrilate with Easter Quake data.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Thanks...glad you are finding it informative. That is the goal!

I just got done posting on the thread about the X flare. You can bet I'll be wondering about correlations...to the M flare that is about to his us too. (or maybe already is?)

Muzzleflash....I know,it is hard to express unless you have been there yourself. There have actually been several smaller eruptions since the one in 1980. There was a dome-building episode here in the past few years.

A couple of years after 1980, it had another eruption that resulted in an ash cloud. I was away at camp (camp Roganunda!!), probably about 30 miles from the mountain. We were all ushered into the center hall, were we had to stay for one or two nights. We didn't even have any bathrooms so they set up curtains and buckets. What can I say? I haven't had much luck with that Mountain

For those who are not aware of the massive size and incredible beauty of these mountains...here are a couple of pics I took:

I took this one this past summer as I was flying into Seattle. Looking south, that is Rainier with Helens behind and to the right:

Mount Rainier from the ground this fall:

Mount Baker as seen a few miles from my house:

edit on 14-2-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-2-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
1011?? that's some old news mate

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Taging thread
this would be my second line,.
and for giggles,... a third line.
Thanks Westcoast

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I lied to you. Well, not on purpose - just got my pages to load. I have seen This before. I expect an alert level change if these instruments do not settle down shortly. This is what was seen the last time leading up to the last eruption at St. Helens. I watched those instruments day in and out throughout the whole eruption.
edit on 14-2-2011 by Anmarie96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Just to be clear, the seismograph you linked is the most recent, or is it the graph from a previous eruption? I can't find a date on it.

I've only recently taken two geology classes, and I don't remember seeing seismos that extreme. But I am no expert.

Edit: Oh, Nevermind. After close examination I found the date. It's in the left hand corner, with seismo lines on top of it.

So, that is Helens right now.

edit on 14-2-2011 by collietta because: Didn't pay attention the first time.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Just had another quake:

Magnitude 2.2
Date-Time Tuesday, February 15, 2011 at 05:09:32 UTC
Monday, February 14, 2011 at 09:09:32 PM at epicenter

Location 46.279°N, 122.216°W
Depth 4.6 km (2.9 miles) set by location program
Region MOUNT ST. HELENS AREA, WASHINGTON
Distances 9 km (6 miles) NNW (342°) from Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA
31 km (20 miles) S (171°) from Morton, WA
35 km (22 miles) SE (144°) from Mossyrock, WA
59 km (37 miles) ENE (75°) from Longview, WA
78 km (48 miles) NNE (23°) from Vancouver, WA

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.6 km (0.4 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST= 27, Nph= 27, Dmin=4 km, Rmss=0.21 sec, Gp= 76°,
M-type=duration magnitude (Md), Version=0
Source Pacific Northwest Seismograph Network

Event ID uw02150509

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets upgraded....looks bigger. At least 2.5-2.7

Annmarie....I know what you are talking about. I am not convinced yet though...we have major wind here right now. Although....you would think it would show more on the other stations too if it were wind, but that seismo usually shows the wind more. So dunno yet....I will try and find the links to the HT from previous eruptions.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join