It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana Students Mystery Field Trip Skin Burn

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Louisiana Students Mystery Field Trip Skin Burn

www.katc.com...

Around two-dozen high school students come home, in the middle of winter with what looks like... Get this--- a sunburn.
Now, parents and teachers want to know how this happened.
It's a mystery in the community of Hathaway and it has people burning to know the answers.
"We don't know what caused it," parent, Donald Demary said.
"We just kept trying to find answers," Hathaway High Principal Mona Miller said.
(visit the link for the full news article)
www.katc.com...

edit on 14-2-2011 by Human_Alien because: link

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I wanted to put this in the DeepWater forum but that's just conjecture on my part but this to me, has all the earmarks of GOM dispersant reaction.

Do they seriously want us for a second to consider this was from same 'lighting'?

If this wasn't exactly where they allowed oil to leak for months then.... drowning it with chemicals then I'd think.....well maybe this was some allergic reaction of sorts. But this happened exactly where the problem is and now (if this is GOM related which, I think it is) this crap is in the blood system of some people now.

This might be the BIGGEST (deliberate?) disaster in modern history because I feel this has severely impacted our weather too.

edit on 14-2-2011 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

www.katc.com

Heres the fixed link for people to look at.

What is the weather in that area like at the moment? Frostbite can look an awful lot like sunburn

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Already posted:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by big_BHOY
Already posted:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Why didn't that come up in my search???????????????????????????????

Ugh!

Sorry. Mods please close

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
facepalm ,

you can get a very good tan even though its winter

its still a sun

frostbite or tan , either way i think them kids should be out doors a bit more....

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565
facepalm ,

you can get a very good tan even though its winter

its still a sun

frostbite or tan , either way i think them kids should be out doors a bit more....

Would that make the news and/or have parents, teachers (school nurse?) and adults concerned?
People KNOW sun burns and if they didn't at least trace this back to the Sun (as the culprit) and subsequently, rule it out then, they deserve to be confused their entire lives then!!

I may be going on a limb here but I am going to say the Sun did not cause this.

(sic)
...................Corexit 9527 claims 2-BE may cause hemolysis (destruction of red blood cells) or kidney or liver damage with repeated or excessive exposure, whereas the formulated dispersant also may cause skin or gastrointestinal irritation

.......................it’s possible that dispersant exposure aggravates these effects, in part by enabling oil to more easily penetrate the skin,
www.eoearth.org...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

This isn't bizarre at all. You can get a sunburn at anytime during the year. Heat is not what causes sunburns, its caused by UV rays. Normally we are more susceptible during the summer, because we are often shirtless or in swimsuits, and when we are in water and all those UV rays bounce off the water surface and hit our skin...OUCH!. BUT... we can actually get sunburns at anytime. Even on cloudy days. We can get some really nasty sunburns after it has snowed and and the sun comes out. All those UV rays reflect off the snow and its pretty crazy the sunburns we can get.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

suntan/frostbite vs microwaves

id still go with the first options , they where outside for an amount of time longer then what they are used to,

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
it beggars belief that i have to post this :

but sunburn is MORE dangerous in winter - and , due to the lower ambient temperature the intensity of the sun is misjudged

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

We allow a Breaking News story and a regular forum thread.
So, your thread can remain open.

Now, back to the source of the sunburn debate.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Can someone give the actual conditions on the day? Sunburn seems likely, but wind and frost can cause near-identical effects. I'm assuming there was no snow, since it's in Louisiana, but I know that snow or ice can cause brutal sunburns.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
yeah i was working in a room when i was a teenager that was all glass and very hott and got sunburned outside temp was -10

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
This is literally in my backyard.... last Tuesday into Wednesday in this area was some of our coldest temperatures of the yea, along with a very brisk wind. It was very cloudy into Thursday, when the clouds started clearing. We have been on a warming trend ever since. Not sure what day specifically this happened. The news story is on a channel I watch, and if I watch local news, this is where I get it from. Rayne, La, and Crowley, La., both of the stops that was mentioned is not close enough to the GOM for it to be effects of the spill or any by-effects from it, without these effects being seen over a large amount of the population here. It doesn't appear, from the news report, they were outside very long, or I would definitely say a combination of cold temps and wind. I will keep an ear out on the news though, and watch for any follow ups.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
heres a good article

everydayhealth

TUESDAY, Nov. 16 (HealthDay News) -- Skiers and other outdoor enthusiasts need to be aware that factors such as weather conditions and time of day can cause considerable variation in the levels of ultraviolet (UV) radiation during the winter, researchers say.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
It doesn't suprise me that a sunburn could happen in the middle of this crazy winter. I having been noticing that the snow has been melting extremely fast this year, even in extreme sub-freezing temperatures.

I tend to think we are already receiving extreme amounts of solar radiation. However I have no proof for this because TPTB control all the information to prove such instances and they claim it is not happening like this.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by danyalson

This isn't bizarre at all. You can get a sunburn at anytime during the year. Heat is not what causes sunburns, its caused by UV rays. Normally we are more susceptible during the summer, because we are often shirtless or in swimsuits, and when we are in water and all those UV rays bounce off the water surface and hit our skin...OUCH!. BUT... we can actually get sunburns at anytime. Even on cloudy days. We can get some really nasty sunburns after it has snowed and and the sun comes out. All those UV rays reflect off the snow and its pretty crazy the sunburns we can get.

But are you forgetting where this took place? Louisiana where many people are falling ill.

And I agree, a sunburn in the wintertime is not an unknown phenomenon but the fact that I have to assume, they have ruled that out (seeing that's the FIRST thing they considered)!
So I am left with wondering if this might be attributed to the GOM disaster.
Plus the article said it was more like a flash burn. A winter Sun burn take a bit of time. I know, I was a snow skier!

And there are a LOT of people getting sick (skin related issues too) down in that area to ignore so, I think we should keep our conclusions open right now

Gulf of Mexico: Widespread Sickness Due to Toxic Chemicals
www.pacificfreepress.com...

top topics

join