It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**View the World's Art Without Leaving Home-(Google does it again!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I found this website/story telling about Googles newest invention. I thought it would be best place in this Forum as a great research tool and info related to past art/creations/exhibts. What a great tool. You can research all over the worldl in the finest museums. How awesome it that.

You want to go looking for UFO/Aliens in the backgrounds of famous or old pieces of work- you want to see if the devil is depicted the same from one area/culture to the next etc. Have at it from HOME! Enojoy!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----------
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/551491a18279.jpg[/atsimg]

View the World's Art Without Leaving Home

Google Partners With 17 International Museums for Art Project

Google today announced its Art Project, which lets users tour 17 of the world's top art museums-virtually. Using Google's Street View technology, art lovers can digitally roam the halls of New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Tate Britain of London, the Uffizi Gallery in Florence, and many other of the art world's great art houses.

Panoramic views let users explore the museums without buying a plane ticket to Europe or the United States, and high-resolution images of more than 1,000 masterpieces make it possible to zoom in to study the details.
Julian Raby, director of the Smithsonian Freer Gallery of Art and the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, said in a statement "The giga-pixel experience brings us very close to the spirit and energy of the artist through breathtaking detail that often can't be seen in the gallery itself.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/537ebcf05e36.jpg[/atsimg]
Source: abcnews.go.com...

Honestly, I am hoping the more cultured ATSer will be able to incorporate this tool into their research of thread material and from the folks of the past that created this works of art-that tell stories and about event of our past.

Especially when someone tosses up a painting from a long time ago that shows oddities in the background etc..... now you can go look (and look up close) for yourself. Right at the source. Trust me,,, bookmark it.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up... very valuable source of information/inspiration.

Here is the direct link: www.googleartproject.com...

Hopefully this won't stop people from visiting the physical museums, as nothing can compare to the real thing. But, as most of us would not be able to visit this many museums in a lifetime, this project is awesome.

the Billmeister

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Billmeister

Yes, I agree. I wish I could go to them all but in reality, isn't happening.

I showed the wife and we bookmarked it. We are getting a whole new entertainment center set up with internet hook-up. Going to be visting Google on a very, very large screen. I can't wait.

I just think, over all, for an ATS poster/threader/researcher-this this is awesome. So much can be learned from the art of old (and new) but as far as documenting history and life etc. Nothing better.

And, I can only assume they will expand this thing even more. I like the current stuff that can be viewed also. A pleasant surprise.

I am trying to work up a thread but admittedly, I am weak in the art field. Long way to go but the wife is on it.

Glad you enjoyed. (the wife and I are going to try to get to NYC this coming Sept. My friend lives near M or Art on 85th street. I won't have an excuse.) Maybe I'll get my snout on Google somehow (or a police blotter
)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
This is beautiful, thank you.
Could have used it 15 years ago while studying, and right now it encourages me to get into the arts again.
Great tool.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I read about this a while ago but forgot about it, thanks for the reminder.

I love art and seeing good art truly brings me joy and reminds me how I love to paint, and should do more often. Going to galleries is great but not always possible or practical, seeing great works in such great clarity means a lot to me. Awesome!

Thanks also to Google and the Art Galleries involved.

top topics

join