It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran: Reports of military is helping protestors....(with upates)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Today the banned protests in Iran have started. The Green Movement is underway there are a lot of people on the streets and there have been clashes with police.There is an amazing sense of unity amoung the people as they chant: 'death to the dictator.'Police have retaliated with rubber bullets, paintguns and tear gas. Mobile phones have stopped working in some areas and the journalists banned.
This is all routine. What is not routine is there are unconfirmed reports coming in that the army are siding with the people on the streets. I hope to god this is true. The people of Iran live under an iron fist and have been messed about with for too long. It certainly is a possibility last year they arrested army officals ahead of the protests.
Iran has appaling civil rights. These protesters are brave, known activists are routinely hung. I hope the protests go well and peacefully and the people get what they want.

I am sorry i can really supply links this news is coming from chat rooms and twitter. Iran is a heavily censored country. If you would like to help the people of Iran circumnavigate government internet censorship please look at this thread....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I will keep this thread live as more news comes in.

kx
edit on 14-2-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

LINK!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Never mind, thank you

edit on 14-2-2011 by pandapowerjamie because: (no reason given)

www.accessnow.org... Just to help you out with that my friend

edit on 14-2-2011 by pandapowerjamie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

edit on 14-2-2011 by syncelebrity because: cant embed

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by syncelebrity

can you link it...

a few more snippets

persianyouth G-man epersianradio: in 4 different points in Tehran we estimate there are more than 1000000 = i MILLION PPL out in TERHRAN

people started chanting against the government in Shiraz

Caller from AZADI SQ epersianradio: THERE ARE MANY CLASHES, ppl have left their cars

Ppl have released few arrested fellows from a police Van

The protest in Sitra is huge! The roads are closed off Gov doesn't want ppl 2 see the protesters or wat they're gonna do 2 them

How ridiculous is it tht there r major protests and stuff going on while local TV/Radio r pretending tht nothings happening

kx

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
www.ynetnews.com...

just a little video of some of the protest/march

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Have to give this one a bump. Too important to let fall away.

Star and Flag!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

This would be great news if it turns out to be true. I posted a though on this a little while ago. I felt there would be a good possibility that Egypt's protests and their successful over throw of their government, would entice the green protester's of Iran to follow the same plan. Iran is sitting on a powder keg of discontent and I think it's ready to erupt again. We'll just have to sit back and hope for the best.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
First Pictures from 25 Bahman Protests....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/852aa79f4bb1.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1ac10398f47a.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/852aa79f4bb1.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/557a1bc3fcc8.jpg[/atsimg]

confirmed video of protest today...soz i cant embed if anyone else can...

www.youtube.com...

source:
freegreeniran.blogspot.com...

Source says there's a rapid loyalty meltdown among IRGC officers. (Apparently from overheard radio comm.)

Well that is good news...again soz no link for that... there are also reports that live amo is being used on the protesters..

kx

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Here is another Youtube posted.......

video of protesters in Tehran marching, then apparently fleeing from security forces.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I think this a great precedence that Egypt started, and hoping the real silver lining in all of this, when the military acknowledge that they are a force for the people not the agendas of a few ruling parasites

..on a side note its kinda of amazing how arrogance works

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Hmm... wonder how long till we hear about this in the US MSM? Probably not sexy enough for ratings yet.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Said it in the other thread so I'll mention it here, too:

This won't end well for those on the ground in this. I just hope Obama doesn't embarass us again by deciding we need to remain neutral and let Iran (menaing the dictator in charge) decide what they want...

I just hope enough people get involved and that it gets enough traction that it becomes impossible for the Iranian gov't to hide and/or resist

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Note how this isn't being hyped up by Al-Jazeera.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by 35Foxtrot
Said it in the other thread so I'll mention it here, too:

This won't end well for those on the ground in this. I just hope Obama doesn't embarass us again by deciding we need to remain neutral and let Iran (menaing the dictator in charge) decide what they want...

I just hope enough people get involved and that it gets enough traction that it becomes impossible for the Iranian gov't to hide and/or resist

I dont think Obama will remain silence in the this case. With Egypt they wanted the dictator to stay and you are correct it was embrassing; with Iran they want him out. How will Ahmadinejad spin smashing these protests after weeks of calling for Mubarak to listen to his people. If I remember correct, Obama gave his support to the protesters and asked for them to be allowed to protest.

kx

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by IsraeliGuy
Note how this isn't being hyped up by Al-Jazeera.

It is a bit harder with a news blackout as far as i am aware they are trying

As Iran's government continues to restrict reporting, Al Jazeera has been using new media to get information from inside the country. Keep up with the latest news on Tehran as we continue to update you with the situation throughout the day.

www.youtube.com...

kx

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Its starting to trickle out to the MSM now.

Iran's opposition stages protests despite warnings - yahoonews

Tehran, Feb 14 (DPA) Iran's opposition staged protests against the government Monday despite warnings from the Interior Ministry that demonstrators would be confronted by police.

The opposition, led by former prime minister Mir-Hossein Moussavi and ex-parliament speaker Mehdi Karroubi, had applied for permits to demonstrate in support of popular uprisings in Egypt and Tunisia.

The government rejected the request, saying any support for Egypt and Tunisia could have been shown by participating in state-run rallies on Friday's 32nd anniversary of Iran's Islamic Revolution.

The government accused the opposition, also known as the 'Green Wave', of trying to use the developments in Egypt as a pretext to continue its own protests against the establishment in Tehran.

According to opposition websites, gatherings were held in several districts in western Tehran but the protesters refrained from shouting slogans so as to not provoke police.

Click link above for the rest of the story.. While the article does not completely support the OP's info, they do point out that Iran has pretty much locked out all communications, from phone, cell, internet etc, so confirmation is almost impossible at this point.

Hopefully the people of Iran can reclaim their government and country.

Foxnews is just now talking about it also.. They are trying to get more info.

edit on 14-2-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I was talking about when Obama said we need to leave it to Iran to decide what Iran wants the last time there were protests there; back around the last elections. I wasn't referring to the administration's handling of the Egyptian protests. Sorry if that was confusing.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
nice if true...

Iran protesters are talking about holding demonstrations everyday between now & Chahar Shanbeh Souri fire festival in a month.

theheartofamerica.wordpress.com...

Police stations being torched....sounds like egypt.....

Iran Fire has been prepared at Azerbaijan St. and a police bike has been set on fire at College. People have remained in the streets while chanting slogans like “Down with Dictator” and “Down with Khamemnei

www.facebook.com...#!/pages/Revolutionary-Road-by-Saeed-Valadbaygi/109834371370
ed it on 14-2-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by 35Foxtrot

The situation in Iran is very different than most think. Many who are unhappy with the regime also despise foreign interference. Many people in Iran blame the US and Brittan for what's gone wrong there over the past century. In fact, one of the main propaganda's used by the regime is to blame all the uprising on the west. So it might be better if Obama doesn't say much. However, I feel it's important for the media to shine some light on the harsh reaction the regime will show towards the protesters and expose the murderous regime. Unfortunately I haven't seen anything on the news yet.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Some more info.. click link for full story.

Also it looks like the OP info is being confirmed.. Its turning violent, with security forces outdoing themselves from the 2009 protests. This should get intresting.

Iran police fire tear gas at protesters

Riot police on Monday fired tear gas and shot paintballs at protesters who turned what they said was a Tehran rally in support of Arab uprisings into an anti-government demonstration, witnesses said.
The clashes broke out at Tehran's prominent Azadi (Freedom) Square when crowds of opposition supporters began chanting "Death to Dictator!" -- a slogan used by protesters against President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad after the disputed 2009 presidential election.

Witnesses said police fired tear gas and also shot paintballs at protesters who had gathered despite a ban by authorities.

Websites and witnesses said thousands of opposition supporters had taken to the streets of the capital in support of Arab revolts despite a heavy police deployment.

Iranian authorities had earlier surrounded the house of opposition leader Mir Hossein Mousavi to prevent him from attending the rally which regime-backers said was a ploy to stage anti-government protests similar to those which shook the foundations of the Islamic republic in 2009.

edit on 14-2-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join