It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking and Pumping Gas

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

what follows is just my own opinion,

you only helped yourself and your son you havnt helped the lady and her ignorance or her own children because you did not explain to her the potential consequences of her own actions and so she is likely to do this again and maybe next time it will lead to explosion and death of her and her kids,

more important then getting someone in trouble for doing something wrong is being sure they understand why it is wrong, clearly the lady was under the impression gasoline could only ignite with contact from the lit cig to liquid gasoline,

i would have told her right from the start that the fumes of gasoline can be flamable up to dozens of feet away from the liquid, she clearly didnt know this, and because you didnt even attempt to educate her away from ignorance she remains ignorant with no known reason not to do this again in the future (other then fear of being snitched which clearly didnt stop her the first time,)

what you did was right, i just wish you would have taught her some knowledge about WHY it is a bad thing to do, without reasons were just following rules blindly and no one likes to do that,

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Mayura

I have a very vivid imagination and absolutely nothing about smoking and filling my vehicle up with gasoline "screams" out at me as exciting....igniting maybe...but not exciting...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Buy a lottery ticket fast! With luck like that I would even chip in and pay half! if you happen to be cat inside a human body sorry but you only have 7 lives left!. Hope you have not used all your luck once!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Buy a lottery ticket fast! With luck like that I would even chip in and pay half! if you happen to be cat inside a human body sorry but you only have 7 lives left!. Hope you have not used all your luck once!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

Well, to be honest, she didn't look very receptive, and in my defense, I did point to the big ole sign, which explains all the safety regulations. But I totally agree with what you're saying about educating people. The attendant also covered the safety issues with her, particularly because when he got there, the child was still pumping gas.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by trailertrash

I didn't want to bait her into any kind of physical confrontation, but I'm not saying I didn't think about doing just that.

reply to post by Sly1one

Darwin and the Darwin awards are a recurring theme here. If we weren't in mid-pump ourselves, we would have gotten out of there. Call me a chicken, I don't care. Bwok bwok.

reply to post by darrman

She would have warmed it up all right. Wow. That's an even more frightening story.

reply to post by Tayesin

Thank you, Tayesin. It's just been a while since anything I've seen in public alarmed me to that level. Other than the little old lady trying to wander out into the street and the usual crazies who drive to drive and talk or text around here.

reply to post by TortoiseKweek

Oh, man, that's a scary picture. And another woman? This reminded me that I saw this on Snopes earlier. It's about static discharge, but there's an interesting bit about women in it. I'm not making any assumptions yet, but....

www.snopes.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Just the mere fact of her putting the lives of children in danger is enough to warrant reporting her. If someone wants to endanger their own life, that's fine. But when someone starts to endanger the lives of children or innocent by-standers, then that's where the line is drawn.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
When I was much younger, I worked at a gas station and what I learned from my experience is that a large segment of the general public are quite, should I say, dense. Once, the station filled up with smoke and being this was a gas station, I called the fire dept. for help. Even with three fire dept. trucks parked outside and countless firemen roaming about, people still pulled up and tried to pump gas. One guy even walked up to me and said, "I guess I can't get any cigarettes right now?" The whole time I'm thinking, "People, if I saw fire trucks and firemen at a gas station the last thing I'd be doing is trying to get gas or smokes!" Seriously, I didn't really want to be there either if there was even a remote chance of anything going wrong.
I think people have gotten so self-centered anymore that they don't even think about the safety of their fellow man. They get so wrapped up in what they need to do or whatever that they stop using good sense. I don't believe the op was wrong at all for calling this lady out. She was being careless and needed to be reminded.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Just for a bit of levity ~

I mis-read your thread title and thought it said "Smoking and Pumpkin Gas".

You can imagine where my mind went.....

Smoking gives you gas which smells like Pumpkin?

Or is it a roasted Pumpkin which is giving off gas?

Well then I proceeded to read and saw that I was WAY off LOL

I think you did the RIGHT THING anyway! I detest snitches and busy bodies - EXCEPT - when it comes to safety!

I am an industrial consultant and have studied enviro sci - and yeah - we gotta keep SAFE!

One of my Professors used to tell people fishing in certain spots - CATCH AND RELEASE! CATCH AND RELEASE! She would run right up to the people and tell them to NOT eat the fish because it would make them sick. She had no qualms about doing this - and if it is to help someone - no one should feel bad. It is positively motivated and a person might not know.

Snitches no one likes are the types who bitch over crap that is NO problem and/ or has nothing to do with you.

Calls the cops on you for burning candles and incense claiming you are worshipping Satan or some crap like that

I think you did the RIGHT thing! and I'll bet too that when the smoking woman gets over her anger - she WILL stop and think next time. It is common sense that you do not smoke around combustibles - she will remember this I am sure.

Once when I was young I threw a fast food wrapper out a car window. Some other driver saw me do it and RAGED at me! It made me angry that the guy was raging at me - but then later - I realized - he was RIGHT.
We should not pitch garbage out of a car - he was right - and I felt ashamed - once I got over my anger at being called out in an angry fashion.

And I have NEVER tossed out ANYTHING improperly since then! If I have even a straw wrapper - I put it in my bag to put in THE PROPER GARBAGE RECEPTACLE later

You did the right thing, and hopefully the woman in question will take heed of your advice. I think she will

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Komaratzi11

Maybe self-centered and maybe preoccupied, or both. I picture this woman having been trapped in the car with two kids and her sister-in-law for a few hours and being frazzled and eager to get out of the car, stretch her legs, and have a smoke to unwind for a second. But maybe I'm giving her too much slack.

reply to post by _BoneZ_

Guess the best we can hope for is that she learned from it, as someone said earlier.

Originally posted by Afterl1fe
[more

GoodJob Moron. that was directed at OP

I'm a moron
Thanks
we all need to be reminded of our failings daily. But um I'm thinking today I've had about a week's worth.

reply to post by Whiffer Nippets

Pumpkin Gas was about three months ago. Thanks for posting the story about the trash experience. Most people probably go through that cycle...get mad, think about it, get over it, and learn from it. It's the ones who don't that we seem to be nominating for the Darwin Award here.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

I hear ya sly. Smoking and pumping gas almost go hand in hand, really no big deal. I said it would be exciting if the gas actually exploded and someone got maimed. Sure would break the monotony. Now that would be something to write about!

Hehe, hey Lucy... Sorry if I came here and actually rationalized. As much as I respect you and your amazing feminine qualities, ATS isn't the best place to share stories that evoke emotional responses and right brain activity. That's been my experience and thus my approach to such threads. Nice job doing what you felt was right, but I can't coddle that kind of drama.
edit on 14-2-2011 by Mayura because: further grammatical errors...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
No one has the right to endanger the lives of those around them carelessly.

This is indeed the right time to stand up and take action to stop idiocy from leading to death and destruction.

NEVER ever smoke a cig near gasoline. Talk about "inflammatory". Sheesh.

I smoke all the time, but I sure as hell scream about it when I see someone with one near a bomb!

Fire + Gas = Boom.

That lady deserves whatever she gets, she could have been toasted and so could everyone else at the gas station. She is lucky to deal with the Law instead of with God.

A gas pump explosion/fire can result in some pretty extreme events.
The whole city block area could have went up in flames with it.

These things are no joke. You did the right thing.

We do have the right to intervene when some idiot is going to get US killed!
Good work.

Here is a video everyone will remember and love.

edit on 14-2-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Haha!... I glad I checked back because that video is hilarious. In all reality, it's the flame that causes ignition, not the cigarette ember. Ok, maybe if there are heavy, heavy fumes, yet I doubt it. Be educated but not inundated.

Awww... How sad, the things that could have happened. Why perpetuate this mental drama?

My point is, you are conditioned into being complete wimps and live your lives in total fear, scared to take the slightest risk. For what? Further consumerism? Add to that the fact that men are emasculated, women aren't true to themselves, and I've had enough. Good thing this reality is about to deconstruct. Enjoy your petty ways while you still can. Big changes ahead, folks!

Huge waste of energy and I'm out.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I worked in a gas station for 13 years and yes, I've seen it all too. The topper for me was when our pump technicians would come out and work on our pumps and smoke the whole time. I was terrified to be there when they were on the premises. I'd scold them and nag at them every chance I got and they'd laugh and call me a silly girl. Come to think of it, I really didn't like those guys

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I worked at a gas station in my youth, and I used to get costumers telling me that a cig cannot ignite at the pump. But I can tell you that it does. Watched an idiot try and prove his point and it almost cost him alot of money and possibly his life, lucky for him the guy he decided to prove it to had a fire extinguiser handy.
Also on many occasions people would pull in to the station because their engine was on fire, most of them would pull up to the pumps to ask for a fire extinguiser. As far as cell phones go, as a paramedic I responded to a gas fire that was supposedly started by a cell phone, but I didn't see it and the fire department didn't believe it. They said it could in theory happen but was very unlikely, they assumed the guy was smoking.
When you drive into a gas station you are entering private property, you need to respect their rules. I could care less whether you believe it can happen or not. What has this world come to were a grown adult can't handle not being able to talk on the phone for 3 minutes. Or any adult who can't go 3 minutes without smoking.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

You did the right thing of course. people are just stupid.

An if she blew the place up she would be suing because they let her smoke the butt.

Mother nature usually has a way of dealing with people like this.

To bad she got away. Feel bad for her kids really as they should be taken away for endangering there lives.

Loser/

Not you but the lady.

God bless you are right and did the right thing.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Lol...I like that you did what you did. Some people are ignorant Lucidity. I would have done the same thing. If I had seen someone smoking at the pump, especially with children around, I would definately say something. Just a few months back, I observed a young woman driving, while two kids were playing in the back seat....no seatbelts!. Some laws are dumb, some serve a purpose. Nice thread, keep up the good work.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I had some d*****bag call the cops on me for smoking next to the gas station entrance door. Next to an ashtray, mind you. It was one of those gas stations with the pumps pretty close to the door. I just finished my cigarette and waited for the cops. Of course, they saw my logic instead of the crazy man that said, and I quote, "Your going to blow up my kids".

The truth in all of this, is that people cannot prevent every possible problem that might arise. Live your life, and mind your own.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by baked

Be a little more considerate of others and people might not need to do that to you. Live your life too, bub, but when your "living" endangers others, own it, don't excuse it. And don't expect people to put up with your crap. Yippeee, the cops agreed. They were probably just hungry and didn't want to put up with your ass.

new topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join