It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking and Pumping Gas

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Thanks for your analysis and additional insights. I always respect what you have to say but that's not just because we think a lot alike! You knew exactly where I was coming from about the second guessing. Hell, I never want to be thought of as imposing my will or views on anyone. But I also very strongly believe in responsibility and thinking about the consequences of our actions, you know? What we do doesn't always just involve of affect only us.

Maybe more people do need to get involved, but maybe they have the same kinds of internal dialogs in their heads, influenced by so many things that are going on these days. It used to be a lot easier to know right from wrong and act on it. Hell, I usually get involved. I was the person a few months ago who called 911 and directed totally non-caring, speeding traffic like some kind of crazy loony bird when a little old lady who bounced off the median in front of me, blew out two tires, landed in the left lane, and tried to get out of her car in the middle of the road TWICE because her drivers side door wouldn't open. When a cop finally got there, he said thanks and not many people would have done that—yeah, no wonder because it was scary! But sometimes there's no time to think.

Now you have to worry about infringing on rights and someone having a bad day or bad attitude being not only angry and getting physical but armed (I carry, so that's not an anti-gun or second amendment statement!) because the discourse is so much in the open, which has its pros and cons. And yes, I had the distinct impression when she was talking with the attendant that if she had something to throw at me she would have thrown it. She was pretty fumed. Pun intended.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I smoke cigars and I don't put it down just to pump gas.
If you would have come up to me and spouted off at the mouth about "You're not supposed to smoke while..blahh blahhh blahhh"
I would have given you a warm smile, blown a big puff of smoke, and turned right back around and continued pumping.No need for the childish name calling I would agree.Alot of things are illegal.
I will decide which of those things I will follow and which ones I won't.
That is one I wont.
I am not worried about blowing up a gas station.
We have turned into a country of busy bodies and tattle tales.
It is a shame.
I'm not necessarily telling you never to speak up when you see something that you percieve to be a threat.
Just make sure you are not suprised/taken off gaurd when the person in question laughs and blows you off.
Other people aren't always going to take you as seriously as you take yourself.
Remember that.

And I'm sure that there are going to be some tough guys who will say something like.."If I saw some dude smoking a cigar while pumping gas and he refused to put it out I would have gone up to him and grabbed it right out of his mouth...blahhh blahhhh blaaahhh"!
Just remember, some people in this world are trained to kill and would make short work of you, so you'd better pack a lunch princess. Also, if you caught such a person on a good day they might just get on the cell phone,call the police, and have you arrested for assault.

Gas stations can be scary places with scary people.
Think twice, that's all I'm sayin.
Be careful out there.
We need all of the ATS members we can get and can't afford to lose a good one like you.
edit on 14-2-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

I'm originally from NJ and I miss the service! It's very considerate of you to hang out with your friend. Gas stations/convenience stores can be very scary places late at night.

Ah...tell us the stories about the rifle range! Those are always good. And sorry about making you think...on V-Day no less
To try make up for it, here's a present...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a3619abbc537.png[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
If I confronted her at all I would have done it from the pov, You are endangering my son's life with your cancer stick lady. I would have taken the mama grizzly approach, because my very first concern would have been my boy pumping gas.

In most situations I am alone so if I snitch (which is rare but safety issues get me) I would have said nothing and just alerted staff. I am a live and let liver, but no one wants to be blown up at the pump.

I will say this, if someone approached ME with the sniveling Excuse me you are not supposed to be (whatever), depending on my mood, you may turn out extremely sorry you spoke directly to me. I am an adult not a child, it comes off as goody two shoes. Going from the way I know I might react, the best thing in these situations is to NOT confront directly, ever.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Spouted off at the mouth. Nice. Well see now, you clearly already have "that" attitude. Blah blah blah? So maybe a closed mind. too In this case, I would have gone in and told the attendant anyway. But I'm guessing you'd have hightailed it on out of there by the time we got back.

I definitely don't disagree that we have some issues with busybodies and tattletales. In fact, I wrote about my concerns in this area in the OP. I struggled with that because in many cases, I hate it too. However, in this case, her children were right there. So was my child and so was I. She was being careless. But you being the big tough guy that you are, are of course in complete control of your cigar, and the fumes, and the wind, and all sorts of other variables that could turn your habit into a disaster. Just because you haven't blown yourself , your truck/car, other people, or a gas station up yet, doesn't mean you won't someday.

You are free to decide which laws you choose to abide by and also to suffer the consequences when you don't abide by those you disagree with. We agree on that.

I don't actually take myself "seriously." And how someone perceives my motives is, again, totally up to them. If they choose to get rude and defensive or angry and violent, that's their problem and issue. And again their consequences.

Just remember, some people in this world are trained to kill and would make short work of you, so you'd better pack a lunch princess. Also, if you caught such a person on a good day they might just get on the cell phone,call the police, and have you arrested for assault.

Yeah, yeah. I'm intimidated. So is this mythical someone going to kill me or whine to the cops expecting them to arrest me for voicing concern? Hmmm?

Someone apt to kill me because I voice a concern over smoking at the gas pump has far greater issues and problems than I'm responsible from and will then simply wind up outside of society, in jail, or worse.

But see, that's exactly the kind of ignorant statement and thinking that intimidates many people and keeps them from doing the right thing. Don't help someone, you'll get sued! Stay out of it, you'll get killed. Most adults are perfectly capable of assessing a situation and reacting properly. And in those few cases, yes, they might get hurt or killed.

Sounds like you're saying you'd rather react belligerently than have a conversation and maybe have a country full of wimps and cowards or bullies running around letting all sorts of crazy things happen rather than dealing with a few busybodies and tattletales, eh?

Oh, and if you hand blown that puff of smelly ass cigar smoke in my face? It woulda been on, because that's a totally rude, totally bully move. And, like I said, I pack more than a lunch and I have a cell phone too to call the police about that lil ole assault by cigar smoke

Thanks for posting.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Lucidity packs more than a lunch! I love it! Me too honey!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Yeah...I'd react a lot like you say myself, depending on how they said it or and what my mood was. I hate being controlled or told what to do when and all that. None of us is perfect. Hell far from it.

But, if I had really pulled a non-thinking move and the person had a point, eventually I'd see it and feel bad about how I reacted and learn from that too. And who knows...maybe this woman even did that. Later. I wouldn't like admitting it, but eventually, I'd see it (you know, after I got over the initial anger and my adrenaline went down and stuff).

reply to post by hotbakedtater

I love when people here assume we don't too!
edit on 2/14/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

I believe MythBusters addressed the cellphone thing too.

You're also supposed to "discharge" your body before pumping. How many people actually do that (besides me).

From everything I've watched and read,it seems to me it may well be the spark (from a lighter, a cigarette flare, or electrostatic discharge) and not actually a normally burning cigarette or properly operating cell phone. Might be a case of better safe than sorry.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I agree you did the right thing and all , but that video? It looks to me like a static charge spark from the lady's sweater ignited the gas fumes. I dont see a cigarette at all.
edit on 14-2-2011 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

What a condescending tone that is. The whole post, condescending.

It is responses like this type that people fear, and why they won't get involved.

How could someone politely saying something at a gas pump about you smoking turn into "someone trained to kill"? Really?

Some people may be intimidated by that type of thing, the perceived threat of being bullied or wow, even killed! But then, some still have the courage of their convictions, and for all that bluster you may one day meet your match.

Thanks for displaying exactly the type of attitude that makes some people afraid to stand up for what is right and what is wrong.

One day, when you meet your maker, Darwin, lets just hope that you are alone, and don't pull anyone else in with you.
Princess.

edit on 14-2-2011 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by Screwed

But you being the big tough guy that you are

You will of course be able to show me where I said anything about being Tough...or a guy?.......nope.

You are free to decide which laws you choose to abide by and also to suffer the consequences when you don't abide by those you disagree with. We agree on that.

YEP!

Yeah, yeah. I'm intimidated.

No need to be intimidated, just be careful. You never know who you're dealing with.

Someone apt to kill me because I voice a concern over smoking at the gas pump has far greater issues and problems than I'm responsible from and will then simply wind up outside of society, in jail, or worse.

You'll still be dead, and for what? All I'm saying is make sure it is worth it before spouting off at the mouth.
If it IS worth it then, more power to you.

But see, that's exactly the kind of ignorant statement and thinking that intimidates many people and keeps them from doing the right thing. Don't help someone, you'll get sued! Stay out of it, you'll get killed. Most adults are perfectly capable of assessing a situation and reacting properly. And in those few cases, yes, they might get hurt or killed.

See above.

Sounds like you're saying you'd rather react belligerently

You will of corse have no problem showing me where I indicated where I would act "belligerantly"........nope

Oh, and if you hand blown that puff of smelly ass cigar smoke in my face

You will of course be able to show me where I said anything about blowing smoke in anyones face...........nope!lol.
Wow, that's three for three.
All I am saying is be careful out there. Most people aren't going to take you as seriously as you take yourself.
But, whatever, have fun putting words into my mouth. I am not going to sit here and go back and forth trying to defend myself from things I never said.

Peace, and be careful out there
we need work together not against eachother.
Just some friendly advice.
Thanks for posting.
edit on 14-2-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

You're right, and I agree...I didn't see a cigarette there at all and meant to mention it.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Even more reason to start thinking about leaving this place

Don't do that, we need good minds here.

Maybe I'm wrong

Yes, you are.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Agreed. This is actually very relevant to the "See something say something" Hogwash that the DHS has put out. I do not see this as general chit-chat, but rather a good discourse regarding the nature of looking out for people vs. turning into a willing spy for the government.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

You bring up a good point about the DHS hogwash. That's another thing I personally struggle with and actually even thought about in relevance to this example. Where do we draw the line? Does intent count? How do you know if someone is being well-intentioned or just, as Screwed put it, a busybody tattletale?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

The busy bodied tattle tale is exactly what we have to resist becoming because if we don't......
a simple thing like smoking at the pump WILL turn into a terrorsits threat to our nation.
I will be imprisoned indefinately as a domestic terrorist,No access to a lawyer, No set court date, No official charges, no access to my family, NOTHING!!!!!

and why???
Because some busy body "SAW SOMETHING" and guess what???
she "SAID SOMETHING"!
Well that's just great now isn't it?

We have got to resist becomeing what they want us to become.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Well, you have to figure out your ethics and remember that they will not always match someone elses ethics.

In my case, it is about protecting myself and those under my care. For others, it may be the preservation of human life. For others, it may be the preservation of all life.

In all cases, one should always try to look at things fom the other person's point of view. Things are never what they seem on the surface... and some times they are much worse.

(the thing that really brought all of this to mind was the rediculous DHS video I watched last night.. posted on a thread somewhere here on ATS. Fearmongering and busybodying to the extreme)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

There may be no audio, but the probability is high that it's all on video anyway, Particularly the smoking at the pump part. And the question here really is more, when is it tattling and when is it appropriate. So I guess we take your comments as a vote for "never appropriate?"

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join