It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Devil's Bible Darkest Secrets Explained: (2 National Geo vids!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   

It's a mysterious book that in its day was believed to contain all human knowledge. But why did medieval people believe that the author sold his soul to the devil to be able to write it?

the legend about the Devil's Bible was that it was written by a monk in a single night

The "Devil's Bible," a behemoth volume weighing in at 165 pounds, believed to have been produced by a single monk over the course of decades in the 13th Century, is the focus of a documentary that was featured on the National Geographic Channel, A complete Old Testament and New Testament, and a collection of a number of secular works besides, the Devil's Bible is an encyclopedia of medieval knowledge. But it has also been haunted by dark speculation, including that its writing was guided by the devil's hand.

Devil's Bible Photo open on the page of the picture showing Satan

It got its name "Devil's Bible" from the illustration of the devil on page 290 (in the photo above). It is believed to be the only bible of its era that depicts Satan. There the devil is, looking more like a cartoon character in an ermine diaper, rather than evil incarnate.

Compact with the devil

The story goes that such a feat was possible only because the monk had made a compact with the devil. The implication is that the devil himself wrote this bible, which is why his portrait adorns it. However, if the devil inspired the book then there is nothing in it that appears to cast Satan in a good light, at least not that I can find by searching for information on the Web about the Devil's Bible.

Most likely the producer of the Devil's Bible was a monk whose name is mentioned in the index and who probably devoted many, many years to the task, perhaps as a form of penance. The Devil's Bible was written by one person, but it was not written in a single night.

Exorcism and Magic Spells in the Devil's Bible

Also included in the Devil's Bible, on pages that follow the picture of the devil, (the picture below), are detailed instructions for the exorcism of demons or evil from people and objects. There are also two magic spells, both with specific instructions on how to identify and catch a thief. Possession by demons was commonly thought during medieval times to be the cause of many illnesses. The church had specific rituals to exorcise evil by casting demons out of an afflicted person's body.

Source: blogs.nationalgeographic.com...

(Sorry, Hit the post instead of preview button)

Wow, I have heard stories about this Devil's Book but never saw anything about it. Im glad National Geo did stuff on it. Be sure to check out the vids at the main source.

I hope to stir some debate on this with this one. I feel if you believe in the Lord/God then one has to believe in the Devil etc. Maybe not all the stories man has made but the entity/being itself-yes indeed.

edit on 2/14/2011 by anon72 because: To add info/ending.

edit on 2/14/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Good post s&f

I had heard of the devils bible before but knew absolutely nothing about it..
I'd be very interested to see more information about what is written in it..

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

S&F from me too. Thanks for the info.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I hope to stir some debate on this with this one. I feel if you believe in the Lord/God then one has to believe in the Devil etc. Maybe not all the stories man has made but the entity/being itself-yes indeed.

You know there is an old saying : "History becomes legend and legend becomes a myth". So yeah, could be true that the monk was influenced from the Devil.

After all as you said if you believe in God, you got to believe in the Devil also.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Here are some additional info, you might wanna look at.

Here is some info on the legend : Source

According to the Codex legend, the single scribe was a monk who breached his monastic code and was sentenced to be walled up alive with no chance of escape. There was only one way the monk could avoid his excruciating death, he promised to create a beautiful, and fascinating book to glorify the monastery forever; a book that would include all human knowledge. There was one catch, he was given only twenty-four hours to complete the task in and if the monk would complete the task, then be free to live.

The monk began to compose a bible written on animal skins, with colored inks and illustrations; completely illuminated (means decorated initials and miniature border artwork) in the manuscript style made back during that era. Legend has it that near midnight the monk became sure that he could not complete this task alone, so he sold his soul to the devil for help. The devil completed the manuscript and the monk added the devil's picture out of gratitude for his help. It is because of this unique illustration that it the Codex Gigas is also known as the Devil's Bible.

Here is the online version of the "Codex Gigas" aka "Devils-Bible in digital-form.Digital Library

Peace

edit on 14-2-2011 by Seed76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
And for us who love a good dramatic documentary.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I always thought this was the devils bible...

hermetic.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Om my, that last picture of the devil really really looks like south parks version of Osama Bin Laden South Park osama

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

Well hell, thank you.

I love this stuff. I can't wait to watch-later tonight.

Didn't think of looking on Youtube since the Nat Geo ones were present.

Star

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by nakiannunaki

Interesting read but not the same.

Check out those vid links. You'll see a little difference.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

The single night could represent the dark night of the soul. Also if it was created by a single scribe, the handwriting would have changed over the course of a lifetime as our handwriting does change over time.

That he was chosen to write such a detailed accounting of the dark forces in this world I think that he truly had been contacted by an entity much like the one pictured in his book.

For some reason I almost thought that some of the pages were going to turn out to have been written in human skin and blood used on the mixing of the ink.

Enjoyed the videos and was glad you posted them.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

over the course of a lifetime as our handwriting does change over time.

I feel the most truest fact I heard today-that not many people realize. In my line of work-happens all the time.

Makes it easy for Fraudulent paperwork to fly. Trust me-I know.

That statement brings a little different light to this subject. Thank you.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Does anyone else get a weird feeling from staring at that second image of this "devil"? It almost seems to come to life and gives off a creepy feeling if you stare at the face long enough. Or perhaps I've been doing too much recreationals.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Why would they even mention Arabic as being the source for Satan, when its obviously Hebrew? And HaSaTaN - the etyomology they give for Satan, means "THE adversary". Why would they mention the article 'heh' if its not even apart of the word? Its completely Ridiculous. Satan is Hebrew.. and Arabic is a much later language that developed out of Aramaic. and has absolutely no relevance to this word.

These people are always trying to undermine the centrality of the Holy Tongue.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by LionOfMu

No, I hear ya. My wife things the same thing.

I can't get the image out of my head-to be honest. Creapy.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Here is the pdf :

www.infinite-beyond.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
that enormous Tome sure has a lot of effort, life energy, including the breath of the rogue monk
all over those velum pages.

it would be interesting to discover if there is anything like dandruff, dried spittle, even blood mixed
in the color pigments to help identify the ethnicity of the composer(s)

A 'Rogue Monk' is not so uncommon... consider that Rasputin was a (infamous) rogue monk ...

and that the completed work = Devil's Bible
might not be an acclaimation + adoration of "the Adversary" but makes a occult point
which shows that All Supernatural entities are merely human creations...
perhaps the 'cartoonish' nature of the illustrations is a clever and layered wake-up call to posterity

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Man, I love your way of thinking on this.

Very interesting. MORE please.

)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Ost33

that was really great i want pDF for oldest testement of BIBLE plese bro can u find me the link...1

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by nakiannunaki

Looks like God had a two-thousand year head start on publication, then.

new topics

top topics

join