It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your favorite anime?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I've noticed there seem to be a few people around here into anime (judging by their avatars anyway), so I thought I would make a thread where we can share some of our favorite anime, mainly out of boredom and out of hope some one will mention something good that I haven't seen. I will start by listing my top 15 favorite anime series (yes, I watch a lot):

1) Death Note
2) Gantz
3) Neon Genesis Evangelion
4) Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
5) Outlaw Star
6) Fullmetal Alchemist
7) Cowboy Bebop
8) Suzumiya Haruhi
9) Higurashi no Naku
10) Ghost in the Shell
11) Black Lagoon
12) Bleach
13) Code Geass
14) Samurai Champloo
15) Corpse Princess

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Akira

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by exdog5

Yeah I've thought about watching that before but the animation looked a little low grade. I might give it a try though now that you've recommended it, because I've found many of the anime I skipped over due to the animation looking bad were actually really good anime when I got around to them. Older anime is often better despite animation quality - NGE, Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star are perfect examples of that.

edit on 14-2-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
1. Fullmetal Alchemist
2. Death Note
3. Fullmetal Panic
4. Inuyasha
5. Hellsing
6. School days

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by WhizPhiz

Hello WhizPhiz,

I like,in no particular order-

Appleseed 1 and 2
Howl's Moving Castle
Final Fantasy-Spirits Within and Advent Children
Vexille
Laputa-Castle in the Sky
Ponyo
Spirited Away
And i do love Ghost in the Shell series and the Age of Innocence movie.
Resident Evil Degeneration

Most of the time i would rather watch Mangas than movies and these
are the ones that i like the most,Check them out if you haven't seen them
I am sure that you will enjoy...

Violet.

edit on 14-2-2011 by BlackViolet because: Cause editing makes me feel powerful....Muahhhhaaaa

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
When I was younger I got into the early seasons of Dragonball Z. And Trigun!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Farnhold

1. Fullmetal Alchemist
Yeah, that was my number one anime for a long time. It was the first real anime I ever watched actually.

2. Death Note
You really think FMA is better than DN?

3. Fullmetal Panic
I've seen a few eps of that, it looks pretty promising.

4. Inuyasha
I actually have that but haven't watched it yet, you reminded me actually, I might watch that.

5. Hellsing
I definitely want to get that anime next, another good pick.

6. School days
Seems like it may be ok, it's now on my list.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   

You should also try the 2 big ones... naruto and bleach are great storywise.
If you're into the anime, the manga versions will rarely dissapoint..
also
Blassreiter- think of tengen toppa
Berserk- midevil fantasy
Blood- Vampire theme
Claymore- midevil fantasy
Dgrayman- mediocre fantasy
Devil may cry- Think Van Helsing
S-cry-ed- mediocre but entertaining
Tenjou tenge- Naruto twist martial arts modern day setting.
Witchblade
Linebarrels of Iron- Mech

Anime movies:
Ninja scroll
afro samurai- Really good (voiceover by Samuel L Jackson)

edit on 14/2/2011 by faceoff85 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackViolet

Appleseed 1 and 2
Howl's Moving Castle
Vexille
Laputa-Castle in the Sky
Ponyo
Spirited Away
Never heard of Appleseed, but it must be decent if first on your list. There's a lot there I haven't heard of actually (probably because I tend to prefer series). Spirited Away is good, I saw that so long ago I can hardly remember it, but I know it was a classic.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Nice choices OP, love them all

My personal favorite will always be Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. It changed my life in fact. I loved the show for it's amazingly inspirational message, and just how all those subtle little things meant so much if you really paid attention (case and point: When Kamina first meets Simon, he tells him to "Keep his head held high" but when Simon meets the alternate dimension Kamina 26 episodes later, that Kamina tells him to "Keep his head down and apologize"). In a way, it helped me believe in a meaning to life, as it came at a point where I really needed the inspiration, and it really really really stuck with me. Aside from all that, it has amazing action scenes, animation, music (the main theme Ten wo Tsuke is my favorite piece of music of all time
), and such an awesome storyline. Hell the premise alone sold me (people live underground, one man wants to go above). I've honestly learned more about the kind of person I've wanted to be from that show than anything else, as creepy as that may sound

Other loves of mine:
FLCL
Gintama (Funniest Anime in my opinion
)
Fullmetal Alchemist (I'm kind of weird 'cause I like the first one better)
Death Note
Paranoia Agent

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by faceoff85

You should also try the 2 big ones... naruto and bleach are great storywise.
I've seen all the current eng dub releases of Bleach, but I guess I'm more of a Bleach guy, never did really get into Naruto but I might give it a try again...one day.

If you're into the anime, the manga versions will rarely dissapoint..
I can't be bothered reading...are manga's really worth it?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhizPhiz
reply to post by BlackViolet

Appleseed 1 and 2
Howl's Moving Castle
Vexille
Laputa-Castle in the Sky
Ponyo
Spirited Away
Never heard of Appleseed, but it must be decent if first on your list. There's a lot there I haven't heard of actually (probably because I tend to prefer series). Spirited Away is good, I saw that so long ago I can hardly remember it, but I know it was a classic.

Hehe,Yeah,First 5 mins of Appleseed blew my head off,needed a lie down after it,
Yeah,i am more into the movies as such,I also noticed that you mentioned
Neon Genesis,I like those but get a little lost with them,
Another that you may like is a movie called Steamboy,It's very SteamPunk/Victorian era if
you are into that sort of thing.

Violet.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

I've updated my list.
Manga's add to the story with more detail. Think of it as writting a book and then doing a movie based on the book. Thats how you should view Manga. Also most anime is derived from manga, Naruto and bleach get tons of crap-fillers because the manga needs time to get a headstart before the anime can continue.. The best manga's I've read are never made into anime. There seems to be a huge difference in what the japanese people like best as opposed to western lands.

For a good manga I'd try Psyren first. Loved it, and if you're willing to bite trough the first few chapters you wont be able to stop

BTW Naruto beats bleach universe.. Way more story way more character development. IMO anyway

edit on 14/2/2011 by faceoff85 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by trumpetthief1

Thanks.

My personal favorite will always be Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. It changed my life in fact. I loved the show for it's amazingly inspirational message, and just how all those subtle little things meant so much if you really paid attention
---
I've honestly learned more about the kind of person I've wanted to be from that show than anything else, as creepy as that may sound

Yes, I completely agree with you on every level and understand where you are coming from. It would be first on my list but Death Note is just so "clever" and well made that it technically comes before it, but if we are judging by the quality of the message and emotion contained in the story - Gurren Lagann comes out on top IMO. Another really good (and philosophical anime) I forgot to mention is:

Welcome to the NHK!.

That would actually be in my top 10 but I forgot to mention it. Take a look if you haven't seen it.

Other loves of mine:
FLCL
)
Death Note
Paranoia Agent

Yeah, I actually tend to like the first one better for some reason, but I haven't seen all of the second one so I can't really say. Also, what is FLCL?

EDIT: And the reason GANTZ and NGE come before TTGL is sort of hard to explain. They are are both extremely gory and intense animes but also extremely philosophical and mind bending.

EDIT: And another thing, Gintama isn't eng dubbed is it?

edit on 14-2-2011 by WhizPhiz because: spelling

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Manga's add to the story with more detail. Think of it as writting a book and then doing a movie based on the book. Thats how you should view Manga. Also most anime is derived from manga, Naruto and bleach get tons of crap-fillers because the manga needs time to get a headstart before the anime can continue.. The best manga's I've read are never made into anime. There seems to be a huge difference in what the japanese people like best as opposed to western lands.
Yes, I've actually noticed a whole bunch of manga that looks really really good, and none of it is made into an anime, kind of sucks. I guess I'll give some manga a try.

For a good manga I'd try Psyren first. Loved it, and if you're willing to bite trough the first few chapters you wont be able to stop
Ok, you've convinced me. Is it released in English?

BTW Naruto beats bleach universe.. Way more story way more character development. IMO anyway
Haha, that's what they all say.

edit on 14-2-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Psyren is scanlated into english. For online reading I use either www.mangareader.com or www.somemangas.com
everything on those sites is english except for new releases. There usually is about 1 day up to a week of delay before native editions are scanlated.
For some tailored advice as to wich manga to try first I'd need some info regarding your personal preference as to what type of story interests you..

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhizPhiz

Thanks.

My personal favorite will always be Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. It changed my life in fact. I loved the show for it's amazingly inspirational message, and just how all those subtle little things meant so much if you really paid attention
---
I've honestly learned more about the kind of person I've wanted to be from that show than anything else, as creepy as that may sound

Yes, I completely agree with you on every level and understand where you are coming from. It would be first on my list but Death Note is just so "clever" and well made that it technically comes before it, but if we are judging by the quality of the message and emotion contained in the story - Gurren Lagann comes out on top IMO. Another really good (and philosophical anime) I forgot to mention is:

Welcome to the NHK!.

That would actually be in my top 10 but I forgot to mention it. Take a look if you haven't seen it.

Other loves of mine:
FLCL
)
Death Note
Paranoia Agent

Yeah, I actually tend to like the first one better for some reason, but I haven't seen all of the second one so I can't really say. Also, what is FLCL?

EDIT: And the reason GANTZ and NGE come before TTGL is sort of hard to explain. They are are both extremely gory and intense animes but also extremely philosophical and mind bending.

EDIT: And another thing, Gintama isn't eng dubbed is it?

edit on 14-2-2011 by WhizPhiz because: spelling

I have always wanted to see Welcome to NHK, thanks for reminding me actually! And yeah, with FMA Brotherhood I found it to be way too cartoony, like, a serious moment would be interrupted by a joke and ruin the whole thing, but then again I think it's because I watched the original FMA first. (by original I mean original anime).

And NGE was my favorite anime when I first watched it. I haven't seen Gantz but I'll definetly check it out. Philosophy wise, NGE was definetly on top and damn right amazing. My liking of Gurren Lagann was more a personal thing, as it was one of the first overly positive/philosophical shows I'd ever seen that wasn't a straight up shounen show (like Naruto or something). And FLCL was a 6 episode OVA by Gainax, it's really random but with like repeated viewings it makes sense sort of, but in the end its just more of a fun ride.

And nah, Gintama isn't English dubbed sadly, but the sub is really good. You should check it out, it gets reaaaaallly good after the first 10 episodes, it has some of the greatest jokes I've ever heard

And yeah Death Note was a masterpiece in every sense of the word. If I judged objectively, it was just so great all around, especially story-wise (Light was sooo amazingly developed). Of course, I had my gripes with Misa, but what can I do. Light and L are in my top five favorite anime characters so that says enough

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   

I have always wanted to see Welcome to NHK, thanks for reminding me actually!
I have a feeling you will like it. It's pretty funny.

And NGE was my favorite anime when I first watched it. I haven't seen Gantz but I'll definetly check it out.
There's one word to describe Gantz: epic. Well, epic and gory as hell. It's not an overly long series but it builds up really well and has so many dramatic scenes. At first it seems quite silly, but trust me, it gets so good.

And nah, Gintama isn't English dubbed sadly, but the sub is really good. You should check it out, it gets reaaaaallly good after the first 10 episodes, it has some of the greatest jokes I've ever heard
Damn, I didn't think it was. It's like one of the best rated animes of all time but they haven't dubbed it! Grrr, oh well, I have to see it, subbed version it is.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Again a reason to also give the manga a try. Where Gantz the anime ends and closes the storyline with an alternate ending, Gantz the manga is lready up to chapter 333 I thought it was. Epicness is also of a higher degree with the drawn works. Sorry if Im ranting its just that the manga's are often overlooked while they more often then not are actually better

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   

What! Thanks for letting me know that, I really didn't think the story could be continued with the way they left it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join