It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mesh wire in front of windows, not allowed in UK.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I saw this article in the paper this morning.

I thought to myself, where is the world going, if you are not even allowed to protect your own property. Now the burglars, criminals in every sense, gets protection, cause they "might get hurt" when trying to steal your stuff.

This is so wrong, it's actually funny.

Here is the LINK to one of the articles.

VvV

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
They just don't want you Brits to have any shielding at all from an EMP

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

his is one of the most ridiculous things i have ever heard!

Who the hell made this a law?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Bah! that really sucks, saw on the news that elderly couples have had to board up there windows because of racial violence trying to force them out of the areas they have lived in for there whole lives. How about bars?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Maybe the mesh ruins the veiws of the cameras.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

But you are allowed iron spear railings. People get impaled on these type of railings on a regular basis. Ive always been amazed that they haven't brought out a law to have them made safer. Millions of these outside townhouses and old buildings all over UK.

'Smurf' student impales herself on railings at Canterbury Christ Church University
www.thisiskent.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
So does that mean you could sue any judge that enforces this law for breaking your hand on his face?

edit on 2/14/11 by TokiTheDestroyer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Sounds to me like there is no law against it but the crooks can sue if they get hurt breaking and entering your property. You guys need to have your water tested over there because the place has gone completely insane with stupid s*** like this.

Sounds like you need some vigilante justice to take care of these thieves and maybe a few judges and lawmakers the are protecting them.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
This may work,by leaving your doors and windows open with no security bars or cameras,The criminal mastermind will assume you have nothing of value and go next door to target the well protected house as they obviously have some good stuff worth protecting.Or Get the whole neighbourhood to give away or put into storage all items of value then leave everything unlocked.The crims will soon leave your area as there is nothing for them.Pure genius ,Yes?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Surely if they are as high as those then you shouldn't get hurt on them if you aren't trying to climb them, if you are climbing them then you deserve to get hurt :p

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
What with this, and a poor woman being arrested and charged with "Theft by finding" After picking up some food which had been thrown away by a supermarket, I am becoming very embarrased to be British. Well, with any luck Australia will let me stay here for the rest of my life. Lets hope so, England has gone completely mad.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Sounds like one of those stories simply blown out of proportion. Some crook tried to sue once and so the town, probably at the insistence of someone, deemed it necessary to start warning people this could happen. Well of course it could happen. People can sue you for anything they like.. That doesn't mean they'd win. In addition, the thief breaking in who might be suing would more likely have bigger issues to be dealing with, like being incarcerated. Go ahead and mesh your sheds and good luck to the crooks wasting the courts time. Geez.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Okandetre
reply to post by tarifa37

Surely if they are as high as those then you shouldn't get hurt on them if you aren't trying to climb them, if you are climbing them then you deserve to get hurt :p

Burglars yes not pissed or adventuress kids. Lots of these are at a lower level on top of boundary walls. I know the Victorian ones at our local park had the spear ends cut off for safety.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I wonder if that law applies to tinfoil??

Teh world has gone mad and people have become too stupid for their own good. Sue over that.. ludicrous!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
I wonder if that law applies to tinfoil??

This is not about "burglars hurting themselves". Radio waves will not travel through mesh. So TPTB cannot hear you through bugs, like your mobile phone.

I bet they wouldn't like the tin foil at all because it has the same effect. But they would need to come up with another excuse to stop that.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
........ someone, deemed it necessary to start warning people this could happen. Well of course it could happen. .

And that is the point - it should not be possible. If you are breaking the law you cannot then turn round and complain about the consequences. If you break the law you loose your right to protection by the law - or at least I feel this is the way it should be!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamatt

it is a sad fact that within the law there is scope for criminals to sue if injured on someones property if they are there unlawfully. now in order for a criminal to sue, he would require legal aid or a healthy bank account to get the ball rolling. i feel the cps (crown prosecution service) would persue if within the law, prosecution was viable.
persons who set up their own security should bear in mind that a sign similar to a car park which washes it's hands of any liability by stating owners park at their own risk should consider signage. i know it sounds daft but if one is found before the bench, one could appeal to the magistrate that a warning was in place. in balancing a case it would go more in favour of the owner if this was presented as a material fact.
i personally would not keep tools in a flimsy shed. people who buy sunday store sheds that you could blow over with a good hairdrier are often misguided when it comes to 'fit for purpose'. i would suggest a metal sheet clad affair with georgian wire glass at least 6mm thick.
i had use of a boat shed many years ago and it was broken into through the windows. about £500 of kit was lifted so i spent a weekend amour-plating it. although attempts were made again, no-one gained entry.
regards f

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I have noticed from photographs of English churches that some of them have heavy wire mess over their windows, no doubt to protect the stained glass, but I expect it would keep out thieves as well, so the answer is, a bit of stained glass!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Sure glad I read the link. My initial reaction is okay just put the wire mesh INSIDE the window (not in front of window). Official "suggestions" aren't prohibitions unless accompanied by citations, fees, fines, jail, etc. but most people hear those suggestions as ORDERS. Fortunately, I've always been a bit deaf to certain FREQuencies.

I have to wonder why the news paper chose to take this slant on the material unless to either inflame a segment of the population or reinforce the "sheeple" mentality among the masses. Are people supposed to read this and get mad? Or merely shake their heads and grumble about how things used to be - and then go back to the watching the telly? I really have to question the purpose and intent behind this story from the publisher's perspective.

Thanks to the OP for bringing this up for discussion,

ganjoa

edit on 14-2-2011 by ganjoa because: last paragraph

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

many churches around my area have covered the stained glass with perspex. a good idea however it has a habit of losing the clearness and you can see where idiots have taken pot shots with stones etc.
regards f

top topics

<<   2 >>

join