It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA finds Tyche, the 'good sister' of Nemesis/Nibiru/Planet X/Wormwood/Hercolubus

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Maybe a more accurate title would be, "Search Ends for Giant New Planet."

Up telescope! Search begins for giant new planet
Tyche may be bigger than Jupiter and orbit at the outer edge of the solar system

By Paul Rodgers
Sunday, 13 February 2011

If you grew up thinking there were nine planets and were shocked when Pluto was demoted five years ago, get ready for another surprise. There may be nine after all, and Jupiter may not be the largest.

The hunt is on for a gas giant up to four times the mass of Jupiter thought to be lurking in the outer Oort Cloud, the most remote region of the solar system. The orbit of Tyche (pronounced ty-kee), would be 15,000 times farther from the Sun than the Earth's, and 375 times farther than Pluto's, which is why it hasn't been seen so far.

But scientists now believe the proof of its existence has already been gathered by a Nasa space telescope, Wise, and is just waiting to be analysed.

The first tranche of data is to be released in April, and astrophysicists John Matese and Daniel Whitmire from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette think it will reveal Tyche within two years. "If it does, John and I will be doing cartwheels," Professor Whitmire said. "And that's not easy at our age."

Once Tyche has been located, other telescopes could be pointed at it to confirm the discovery.

The IAU would also have the final say about the gas giant's name. To the Greeks, Tyche was the goddess responsible for the destiny of cities. Her name was provisionally chosen in reference to an earlier hypothesis, now largely abandoned, that the Sun might be part of a binary star system with a dim companion, tentatively called Nemesis, that was thought responsible for mass extinctions on Earth. In myth, Tyche was the good sister of Nemesis.

...So if it is real, Tyche may not only be disrupting the orbits of comets, it may also overturn an established scientific theory.

www.independent.co.uk...

I'm glad we'll know more "within two years."

edit on 2/14/2011 by GoldenFleece because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by GoldenFleece

Nice find, this will be interesting. The two years part is really a bummer, but patience is key. Hopefully confirmation of its existence will be confirmed sooner rather than later. Or that there's a steady stream of info on it so people don't forget.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SpreadLoveNotHate

Thanks, but credit should actually go to ATS member randyvs for finding this story, which I've yet to see anywhere in the American MSM.

I mean, it's not as big as Lady Gaga, but still...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

I believe its due to the fact that Bieber's film recently hit theatres...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Guess I'll have to eat my mouse pad should something turn up.international rules allow 3hours ;cholulo hot sauce; and a quart of dr. pepper to accomplish said consumption. Nice find.

edit on 14-2-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-2-2011 by 46ACE because: its late and I i ca'nt spell zheit!!!

edit on 14-2-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenFleece
"within two years."

Very interesting to say the least. Here we have another timeline for forthcoming history shattering info that may
come. This is just like that NASA official saying he believes within the next year we will get the 'life found in the universe' news...

Something certainly seems to be brewing...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE
Guess I'll have to eat my mouse pad should something turn up.

Get that mouse pad picante sauce ready, because I think our lovely government has known about this for a long time.

Remember this 1983 Washington Post classic?

Possibly as Large as Jupiter; Mystery Heavenly Body Discovered

By Thomas O'Toole
Washington Post Staff Writer 

Friday, December 30, 1983; Page A1

A heavenly body possibly as large as the giant planet Jupiter and possibly so close to Earth 
that it would be part of this solar system has been found in the direction of the constellation 
Orion by an orbiting telescope aboard the U.S. infrared astronomical satellite.

So mysterious is the object that astronomers do not know if it is a planet, a giant comet, a 
nearby "protostar" that never got hot enough to become a star, a distant galaxy so young that 
it is still in the process of forming its first stars or a galaxy so shrouded in dust that none of the 
light cast by its stars ever gets through.

"All I can tell you is that we don't know what it is," Dr. Gerry Neugebauer, IRAS chief 
scientist for California's Jet Propulsion Laboratory and director of the Palomar Observatory 
for the California Institute of Technology, said in an interview.

The most fascinating explanation of this mystery body, which is so cold it casts no light and 
has never been seen by optical telescopes on Earth or in space, is that it is a giant gaseous 
planet as large as Jupiter and as close to Earth as 50 billion miles. While that may seem like a 
great distance in earthbound terms, it is a stone's throw in cosmological terms, so close in fact 
that it would be the nearest heavenly body to Earth beyond the outermost planet Pluto.

"If it is really that close, it would be a part of our solar system," said Dr. James Houck of 
Cornell University's Center for Radio Physics and Space Research and a member of the 
IRAS science team. "If it is that close, I don't know how the world's planetary scientists 
would even begin to classify it."

The mystery body was seen twice by the infrared satellite as it scanned the northern sky from 
last January to November, when the satellite ran out of the supercold helium that allowed its 
telescope to see the coldest bodies in the heavens. The second observation took place six 
months after the first and suggested the mystery body had not moved from its spot in the sky 
near the western edge of the constellation Orion in that time.

"This suggests it's not a comet because a comet would not be as large as the one we've 
observed and a comet would probably have moved," Houck said. "A planet may have moved 
if it were as close as 50 billion miles but it could still be a more distant planet and not have 
moved in six months time."

Whatever it is, Houck said, the mystery body is so cold its temperature is no more than 40 
degrees above "absolute" zero, which is 456 degrees Fahrenheit below zero. The telescope 
aboard IRAS is cooled so low and is so sensitive it can "see" objects in the heavens that are 
only 20 degrees above absolute zero...

planet-x.150m.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
The way I read the article, they haven't found anything yet. They have a theory - a pretty interesting one - but they haven't got the data from WISE analyzed yet to prove it. They are sort of jumping the gun a bit by saying they think the data is in there, by which I mean they seem to be perfectly confident in their theory, which is not always a good idea (though it worked for some like Einstein).

WISE would be perfect for finding something like this - a big, warm ball sitting out in the Oort Cloud would be pretty hard to miss, from what I understand about that satellite.

Maybe they have seen enough preliminary data to suggest to them they are really on the right trail, they just haven't gone through enough of it yet to say they've proved it? But nothing I read in the article suggests that to me.

I think the title of this tread is (probably unintentionally) kind of misleading.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

Yes, there's a bit of creative license in the thread title, but it's based on this:

But scientists now believe the proof of its existence has already been gathered by a Nasa space telescope, WISE, and is just waiting to be analysed.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
First the discovery and announcement a few weeks ago that they found a potential second solar system close to ours with 6-7 planets orbiting a sun (Nibiru/Wormwood/Nemesis was said in Sumerian times supposedly that Nibiru was part of a 6 planet system) and now the possibility of another huge gas-like planet on the edge of our own system.

Surprising these things are only discovered fairly recently in terms of seeing them, checking and re-checking then making it public.

2012 has something to do with this purely for the reason I'm going with that we'll actually have more info that year rather than the 2013 time period since they said "within" 2 years.

Bear in mind, I never associated it with the 2012 phenomenon there

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I found a very interesting article about brown dwarfs on the NASA website.

So much for the people who say if Nibiru really existed, it could be seen by now:

The Coolest Stars Come Out of the Dark

Astronomers have uncovered what appear to be 14 of the coldest stars known in our universe. These failed stars, called brown dwarfs, are so cold and faint that they'd be impossible to see with current visible-light telescopes. Spitzer's infrared vision was able to pick out their feeble glow, much as a firefighter uses infrared goggles to find hot spots buried underneath a dark forest floor.

The brown dwarfs join only a handful of similar objects previously discovered. The new objects are between the temperatures of about 450 Kelvin to 600 Kelvin (350 to 620 degrees Fahrenheit). As far as stars go, this is bitter cold -- as cold, in some cases, as planets around other stars.

"WISE is looking everywhere, so the coolest brown dwarfs are going to pop up all around us," said Peter Eisenhardt, the WISE project scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., and lead author of a recent paper in the Astronomical Journal on the Spitzer discoveries. "We might even find a cool brown dwarf that is closer to us than Proxima Centauri, the closest known star."

There is some speculation amongst scientists that such a cool body, if it exists, could be a brown dwarf companion to our sun. This hypothetical object has been nicknamed "Nemesis."

"We are now calling the hypothetical brown dwarf Tyche instead, after the benevolent counterpart to Nemesis," said Kirkpatrick.

www.nasa.gov...

So NASA admits they changed the name of the brown dwarf solar companion they're looking for (and undoubtedly already know about) from Nemesis (aka "The Destroyer" or "Death Star") to Tyche (meaning "Good Sister" or "Benevolent Counterpart".)

Now why would they do that, except to intentionally confuse people?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

NASA finds Tyche, the 'good sister' of Nemesis/Nibiru/Planet X/Wormwood/Hercolubus,

Maybe a more accurate title would be, "Search Ends for Giant New Planet."

So you want to substitute one misleading title for another.

The fact is that nothing has been found, but the search continues. The baloney title you did choose is poppycock since Tyche, the hypothesized object, is not related to Nemesis or anything of the hoaxes you listed such as Nibiru.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Remember this 1983 Washington Post classic?

That has to be one of the poorest written articles ever. The author did get it correct in paragraph 2 where it clearly describes that the objects in question do exist and may be anywhere from the solar system to distant galaxies. In 1985 the objects were found to be outside of the solar system. Most of the objects were a new type of galaxy.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Since WISE scanned the entire sky more than once it is possible to look for objects that have moved between the scans. The movement of Tyche would be very small since it has a 26My orbit. That puts it very far away with a small apparent change between the 2 scans.

Here is the original paper in Tyche is proposed. The abstract is shown here.
Persistent Evidence of a Jovian Mass Solar Companion in the Oort Cloud

We present an updated dynamical and statistical analysis of outer Oort cloud cometary evidence suggesting the sun has a wide-binary Jovian mass companion. The results support a conjecture that there exists a companion of mass ~ 1-4 M_Jup orbiting in the innermost region of the outer Oort cloud. Our most restrictive prediction is that the orientation angles of the orbit normal in galactic coordinates are centered on the galactic longitude of the ascending node Omega = 319 degree and the galactic inclination i = 103 degree (or the opposite direction) with an uncertainty in the normal direction subtending ~ 2% of the sky. A Bayesian statistical analysis suggests that the probability of the companion hypothesis is comparable to or greater than the probability of the null hypothesis of a statistical fluke. Such a companion could also have produced the detached Kuiper Belt object Sedna. The putative companion could be easily detected by the recently launched Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE).

It's already been stated that WISE could detect this object. The probability for this object existing is not that great. The portion of the WISE data that has to be inspected is well restricted.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by curious7

Nibiru/Wormwood/Nemesis was said in Sumerian times supposedly that Nibiru was part of a 6 planet system

This is a hoax perpetrated by Sitchin. The Sumerians did not know about any planets other than those visible to the naked eye.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist

Since WISE scanned the entire sky more than once it is possible to look for objects that have moved between the scans. The movement of Tyche would be very small since it has a 26My orbit. That puts it very far away with a small apparent change between the 2 scans.

Here is the original paper in Tyche is proposed. The abstract is shown here.
Persistent Evidence of a Jovian Mass Solar Companion in the Oort Cloud

We present an updated dynamical and statistical analysis of outer Oort cloud cometary evidence suggesting the sun has a wide-binary Jovian mass companion. The results support a conjecture that there exists a companion of mass ~ 1-4 M_Jup orbiting in the innermost region of the outer Oort cloud. Our most restrictive prediction is that the orientation angles of the orbit normal in galactic coordinates are centered on the galactic longitude of the ascending node Omega = 319 degree and the galactic inclination i = 103 degree (or the opposite direction) with an uncertainty in the normal direction subtending ~ 2% of the sky. A Bayesian statistical analysis suggests that the probability of the companion hypothesis is comparable to or greater than the probability of the null hypothesis of a statistical fluke. Such a companion could also have produced the detached Kuiper Belt object Sedna. The putative companion could be easily detected by the recently launched Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE).

It's already been stated that WISE could detect this object. The probability for this object existing is not that great. The portion of the WISE data that has to be inspected is well restricted.

Isn't that a complicated way to say their not sure, but need to go through the data?
2nd line.
edit on 14-2-2011 by liveandletlive because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

So much for the people who say if Nibiru really existed, it could be seen by now:

This is a typical misunderstanding. The objects in question are light years away. Jupiter is small version of a brown dwarf. It has similar elements forming it. It is easy to spot and one of the brightest objects in the night sky. Brown dwarfs can emit radiation. They also reflect radiation. That is why Jupiter is visible. Whole sky surveys could see a Jupiter sized object out 2100AU. That's 50x the distance to Pluto. Brown dwarfs are even larger and would be visible out even farther.

So NASA admits they changed the name of the brown dwarf solar companion they're looking for (and undoubtedly already know about) from Nemesis (aka "The Destroyer" or "Death Star") to Tyche (meaning "Good Sister" or "Benevolent Counterpart".)

Now why would they do that, except to intentionally confuse people?

No one changed the name. Tyche is not Nemesis. Nemesis is a different idea and is associated with a proposed periodic nature to extinctions. Tyche is not associated with extinctions.

Please read about these objects before making crazy guesses.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

The baloney title you did choose is poppycock since Tyche, the hypothesized object, is not related to Nemesis or anything of the hoaxes you listed such as Nibiru.

Yeah, I guess that's why Davy Kirkpatrick, a co-author of the study and a member of the WISE team is quoted as saying, "This hypothetical object has been nicknamed Nemesis. We are now calling the hypothetical brown dwarf Tyche instead, after the benevolent counterpart to Nemesis."

The probability for this object existing is not that great.

I guess that's why the article states, "But scientists now believe the proof of its existence has already been gathered by a Nasa space telescope, WISE, and is just waiting to be analysed.

When professional debunkers invade my threads with blatant lies and misrepresentations, it only strengthens my belief in the validity of the information.

Geez, don't they ever give you a break?

edit on 2/14/2011 by GoldenFleece because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

So instead of addressing the facts as they have been laid out you are going to throw around ad hominems? If you want to willfully ignorant that's fine, but don't expect other people to believe in your theory when the science proves it wrong.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

What "fact" hasn't been addressed?

I posted a couple of articles and quoted a member of the WISE team who directly contradicts stereologist's assertion that they didn't change the name from "Nemesis" to "Tyche."

If someone is going to blatantly lie and spend all their time trying to distort and deceive, I'm gonna call them on it. Simple as that.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join