It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia illegal immigrant college student indicted

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jgreer12

And these thousands of students will enter the work force while millions of our citizens are unemployed. Too many lives have been affected by illegal immigration on so many levels.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jgreer12

Just because there's empty seats doesn't mean we need to fill and pay for illegalls to sit in them. Why wasn't this a problem 30+ yrs ago but all of a sudden it's an issue?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I'm with you on this one, although I'm strongly for immigration reform

It technically wasn't the girl who broke the immigration law, it was her parents.

I was reluctantly in favor of the Dream Act passing for the same reason,
however,
I would have liked to see the whole "anchor baby" issue addressed along with the Dream Act.

With the passage of the Dream Act, without "anchor babies" being addressed, we have just given illegal immigrants one more incentive to come on over.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Also, Georgia is a state in which illegals can not get a driver license.

For a long time, I worked in restaurants in Illinois, while living in Wisconsin.

In Illinois, an illegal can not get a D.L.
In Wisconsin, they can, apparently.

I can not tell you the number of times I was asked by a fellow worker if they could use my address in Wisconsin to get a Wisconsin driver license.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

the unemployment problem isnt caused by illegal immigration. the unemployment problem is derived from people who are content with taking money from the government to live off of...illegals wouldnt be able to get the jobs that citizens with a college education are able to get if a proper background check is done. its not like illegals are completely taking over the country..yes it is an issue but i dont believe its nearly as big as you people are making it out to be.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
If they were to continue to pursue the dream act and or the govt. grants to any degree of amnesty......every legal immigrant that paid and jumped thru all the hoops to become a citizen, should sue the govt. for every penny it cost them to go thru the process of becoming a legal immigrant. Otherwise you're insulting every citizen in the country of the US and asking them to start paying taxes in exchange for citizenship is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

edit on 14-2-2011 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

who says we are paying for them...the only person who pays my tuition happens to be my father. that money goes to the betterment of the school...like i said it is growing and stuff like tuition helps pay for that. the money is paying for the new buildings that can house many more students in turn making a chance for more students to attend...i dont agree with allowing an illegal immigrant to attend but the money helps more students attend.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jgreer12

the unemployment problem isn't caused by illegal immigration.

So...you're saying 20+ million jobs that are being filled by illegals that are not even supposed to be in the country isn't part of our unemployment problem?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

what 20+ million jobs? house painting? minor construction? being payed cheap wages for a days worth of work? its not like they are taking over fortune 500 companies, the ones who find work are doing petty jobs for little money.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

the unemployment problem isnt caused by illegal immigration. the unemployment problem is derived from people who are content with taking money from the government to live off of...illegals wouldnt be able to get the jobs that citizens with a college education are able to get if a proper background check is done. its not like illegals are completely taking over the country..yes it is an issue but i dont believe its nearly as big as you people are making it out to be.

Maybe they have not taken over the country, but we now have to speak spanish in many places in order to get so much as a a simple factory job. Maybe they havn't taken over the country but thousands of people have lost their lives due to illegals and our laws not being enforced. One woman alone owed welfare 80 thousand dollars when she was caught through her deciet. Illegal immigration is indeed a big deal and getting worse as time goes on.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
If she or any other illegal cared and respect our Nation and our Laws:
www.uscis.gov... 13e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD
Naturalization through One Year of Qualifying Service During “Peacetime”.
Generally, a person who has served honorably in the U.S. armed forces at any time may be eligible to apply for naturalization under section 328 of the INA. The military community sometimes refers to this as “peacetime naturalization.”

In general, an applicant for naturalization under Section 328 of the INA must:
Be age 18 or older, Have served honorably in the U.S. armed forces for at least 1 year and, if separated from the U.S. armed forces, have been separated honorablby.
Be a permanent resident at the time of examination on the naturalization application, Be able to read, write, and speak basic English.
Have a knowledge of U.S. history and government (civics), Have been a person of good moral character during all relevant periods under the law. ( She Hasn't now has she )

Have an attachment to the principles of the U.S. Constitution and be well disposed to the good order and happiness of the U.S. during all relevant periods under the law.

Have continuously resided in the United States for at least five years and have been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application, UNLESS the applicant has filed an application while still in the service or within 6 months of separation. In the latter case, the applicant is not required to meet these residence and physical presence requirements.

Naturalization through Qualifying Service during Periods of Hostilities.

Generally, members of the U.S. armed forces who serve honorably for any period of time (even 1 day) during specifically designated periods of hostilities (see below) are eligible for naturalization under section 329 of the INA through such military service.

In general, an applicant for naturalization under INA 329 must:
Have served honorably in active-duty status, or as a member of the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve, for any amount of time during a designated period of hostilities and, if separated from the U.S. armed forces, have been separated honorably.

Have been lawfully admitted as a permanent resident at any time after enlistment or induction, OR have been physically present in the United States or certain territories at the time of enlistment or induction (regardless of whether the applicant was admitted as a permanent resident)
Be able to read, write, and speak basic English, Have a knowledge of U.S. history and government (civics).
Have been a person of good moral character during all relevant periods under the law ( Again, This is Not Her! )
Have an attachment to the principles of the U.S. Constitution and be well disposed to the good order and happiness of the U.S. during all relevant periods under the law.

The current designated period of hostilities starting on September 11, 2001, will terminate when the President issues an Executive Order terminating the period.

Note: current members of the U.S. armed forces who qualify for naturalization under sections 328 or 329 of the INA can proceed with their naturalization application either in the United States or overseas.

Application Processing, Is Really Easy!!!!
Service members are not charged filing or biometrics fees. Service members should complete the applications stated below to apply for naturalization:
Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, Form N-426, Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service (establishes periods of honorable service certified by the military).

Note: Every military installation should have a designated point-of-contact (POC) to handle your application and certify your Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service (Form N-426). You should inquire through your chain of command to find out who this person is so they can help you with your application packet.

www.uscis.gov...
Try it, It's easy to read and there is a 1-800# for you to call and get help. Take 2 or 4 years out of your education and serve your adopted Country, get paid and save for your College Education,,, And Best of all, Become LEGAL!
But that only applies to the ones that care and give a @hit about You and Me!
edit on 14-2-2011 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
All that money given to illegal aliens in whatever form, be it Pell, student loans which probably won't be paid back, should go to citizens. I may be wrong but I believe I read somewhere that they get money assistance to go to college even tho they are illegal (same way they get food stamps, etc).
That money would go a long way for our citizens to go to college. And as far as me saying they will never pay back those loans...the government made sure this citizen paid back my student loans. I was having a hard time paying rent, just surviving...did not get any public assistance such as food stamps, etc. it is hard for a single person to make ends meet on a minimal salary ..so I was paying off my student loan slowly but surely but apparently not fast enough for our government.
The government made damn sure they got that student loan money back from this citizen by garnishing my paycheck. That is fine, but don't *snip* let some illegal alien get away with not paying theirs back...grrrrr.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

i agree that yes it has gotten out of hand, but i would suggest a reform in the immigration laws. after all this country was founded by immigrants and we have done well, but there have always been times of economic recession where people have lost jobs. along with an immigration reform we need to devise a way to bring jobs back to the US so the unemployment will shrink and everyone can be happy again. if we can get the GDP to rise then unemployment will fall and many more legal americans will be able to get work. this will bring the unemployment back to the reasonable level and allow people to get visas or citizenship to work here, thus improving the entire economy.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

what 20+ million jobs? house painting? minor construction? being payed cheap wages for a days worth of work? its not like they are taking over fortune 500 companies, the ones who find work are doing petty jobs for little money.

Oh boy! The last place I worked payed well over minumum wage, even to the illegals! Not only that, the women lied saying they were a one income household with all their kids to support, they got welfare benefits as well, cheap housing etc. All the while their men were living with them and their combined income was way over the poverty limit!

These people are not just working for substandard wages anymore! In places that pay high wages, their illegals may not get as much as a citizen, but they are still getting well above minumum wage.

As for petty jobs with low wages, I did that for years as many others have. Our citizens, wether they be our children fresh out of high school, our elderly still needing to work because they can't afford to retire, or anyone else, deserve an opportunity and illegals have taken that away.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

I disagree completely, this girl is no longer a "child". When she was a child, she had no choice. Now she is all grown up, she now has choices, what is stopping her from legalizing her status? If anything, the fact that she was brought to this country as a child with no choice in the matter would actually benefit her to gain a legal status.

What is stopping her, I would assume, is reality.

If she "outted" herself as an illegal, she would have been subject to immediate deportation. This may or may not have happened, but it had to be a fear.

I'm no pushover, by any stretch of the imagination. I come across fairly liberal on ATS - but I think that is half because there are so many rabid conservatives floating around here that it's easy to look far, far left, by way of comparison. But I am a human being and a father of two children who is very capable of empathy.

I put myself in this young womans shoes, mentally, and I honestly cannot imagine what it must be like for her. Not as a Salvadoran. Not as an illegal alien. Not as any label. But as a human being.

If some law were passed tomorrow, which caused me to be a fugitive AND this law also meant that my family would also be punished if I were caught... Well I wouldn't out myself either.

Thinking in pure business terms... We, the taxpayers, have already helped to finance this womans education. If the process of letting her be an alien resident is undertaken, then the fruits of her labors will help to pay back into our tax coffers.

If she's deported? Well then El Salvador will get that payback.

~Heff

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Well if you must know ..I've been a painter/finisher for 30 yrs, illegals put me out of business and I shouldn't have to compete with them in the first place.
And your right , It's probably only 10 or so million jobs they're taking, with the other 10 million spitting out a baby every nine months that you and I are paying for.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
The parents of many of these kids had more than enough time to go through the proper channels. Some will say it's too epensive, but the illegals that I have spoken to tell me how expensive it was to pay for passage and false documents to get here. When I asked them why they don't just become legal, they tell me that America is stupid and they get more by being illegal.
Like how they how they recieved welfare when they had no business being on it! Some say they have no intentions of becoming legal because once they save enough money they will return to their own country and live like a rich person as our money is worth so much more there.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mtnshredder
reply to post by TrueBrit

"Thats the reality of the situation."

The reality Is you don't have a clue what your talking about.
You will be part of our/yours murderous barbaric society till the day you die as will I. Your in a fantasy world dude. It's senseless post like yours that make me think we should have just let you learn to speak German instead of sending you billions, billions and billions to help you support a war you would not have won without our financial contributions. Why didn't you just let Germany take over your country, one way you could have lost YOUR border.

If we had let Hitler and the NAZIS take Britain, then we would have been supporting fascism, something which most of the people who fought the war found unacceptable, and lets face it since the whole basis of my argument is that we need to utterly end xenophobia in order to move forward, your suggestion is moot. Furthermore, the USA didnt save the UK or Europe. It was a joint effort. Quite frankly, the USA only actualy got involved because Pearl Harbour got bombed by the Japs. And one more thing, I hardly think it is sensible for anyone to blow the horn of the USA regarding the second world war, since thier behaviour during the whole thing, and thier mercenary attitude to compensation after the fact, hardly paints the USA as knights in shining armour. They didnt do anything that didnt benifit them, as you would be well aware if you had bothered reading deeply enough on the subject.

These debates are idiotic and pointless, cause every time someone puts our shoes on their feet you never hear from them again, because they realize their talking out the side of their neck. Wake up to reality or go back to sleep.
Do you have any links to your illegal immigration issues that shows how much worse it is than ours as you stated? Not that it matters just curious if you can back up your statements to us ignorant, clueless, stupid, lazy Americans as you call us.

Never once have I suggested that Americans are ignorant, clueless , stupid , or lazy. I have commented that anyone who obsesses too deeply over the importance of thier nationality is ignorant of the harm they are doing to the human race, I have claimed that this deliberate ignorance is stupid, and I would agree that it is born of a lazy thinking process. There is a subtle but important difference.

www.msnbc.msn.com...
This news from Msnbc has the percentage of the US population who are undocumented immigrants at 4% of population total.
This information was very easy to aquire, and no doubt other organisations have a slightly different figure.However, the problem in Britain is so bad that NO ONE KNOWS what the percentages are, because no one is keeping track of the total figure of illegal immigrants here. Our own former immigration minister, Phil Woolas, when asked what the total figure of illegal immigrants was , responded "Its a question no immigration minister can answer." , in other words, the problem has become so great, that we cannot track the numbers any more. We are the second most crowded nation in Europe according to some studies. In any case, there are no accurate percentages available for my nation at this time, but I have written to the Office for National Statistics (ONS) to see if they have any up to the minuite data .
The moment anything becomes available on that point , I will let you know.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

Im hardly NWO. NWO is interested in the sucess of corperate interests, and retaining power for the few, while the many slave and slave toward a single centre of power.
I want to see a world where there is no one single power, where the power currently held by dictators, and out of touch politicians, is instead dispersed amongst the population of all the Earth, where each person is FREE to be the best that they can be, regardless of how much money they have, regardless of where they are from, or what thier beliefs may be. I want to see the world get to the stage where I can walk through the middle of Palestine, America, or Russia, and never have to show my ID , because all mankind is free to be where he wants to be, without overt or covert monitoring . In short , I want mankind to start operating as a group, not lead from a centre, but a group of people operating independant of instruction and yet towards the same goal. The eventual colonisation of this entire planetary system, and after that, the stars surrounding our little solar system. We will never get anywhere pandering to the past, and our inherant ignorance.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Her parents are losers. If they done the right thing in the first place, this girl wouldn't be suffering the consequences of their actions and/or lack of.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join