It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by proteus33
i believe if you are brought here illegally as a child and have spent more time inthis country than home country then you should not be sent back. imagine this girl being sent back home they would have pegged her for a target within days of her arrival.yes i am against illegal immigration but it isn't always black and white.
Originally posted by desert
reply to post by antonia
Let the student finish university. Round up all the employers in Georgia who hire illegal labor and put those employers in prison.
Originally posted by Hefficide
While I believe firmly in immigration laws. This particular girls seems to be stuck in the middle. Her parents brought her here, illegally, as a small child.
She was left without a personal choice in the matter. I can empathize with aspects of her situation. Her story has been a very divisive issue here in Atlanta, with people on both sides of it, and many taking extreme positions on both sides.
My personal view is that her having to "fake it" was implied by her situation and is, thus, a mitigating factor.
Originally posted by mtnshredder
There's been borders since the day of the caveman. I don't see it ever changing. Your ideology works in a perfect world and I wish we had no borders anywhere and everyone did their equal part to make this planet a better place for ALL but this is not reality and has been the case for thousands and thousands of yrs. We're territorially like any other living creature on the planet. It's the nature of the beast.
Say we did do away with all borders, you and your family worked hard to have a certain quality of life but your neighbor down the street didn't, how would you feel if he starts taking everything you've worked so hard for away from you, because he wasn't willing to do the work to have a quality of life for himself, yet he's Ok to take from you at your expense. You honestly wouldn't have a problem with this? This is the reality.
Can we just send the 20-30 million of them over to the UK and let you Brits take care of them, may cost you your job and quality of life, but like you said we should all have equal opportunity right?
Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by muse7
That kind of thinking doesn't enter into the general ATS psyche. It's black or white, wrong or white. Imagine being a kid and taken with your parents to someplace you don't know. What are you going to do? The fact people are even pretending the girl had a choice in the matter is just stupid. As for the idea of her leaving at 18 and coming-No, it doesn't work. You need thousands of dollars and if you were ever here illegally your pooch is screwed. Our immigration system is idiotic to begin with. It pays to deny people over and over. Go to Mexico and see how they live and then tell me these people have thousands of dollars to come here legally. There needs to be a REAL solution on this issue. Not the 5 year old mentality solution we keep hearing. You are not going to be able to round up 11 million plus people and toss them out. It's not going to happen. Many of you have no idea how far back this goes. For many years there was no real issue with them crossing the border. No one cared. Then WWI hit and they begged Mexicans to come live and work in the U.S. Promised them a good life, then threw them out on their ass. The Great Depression came, they deported hundreds, even those who born in this country. Then WW2 Came and we saw a repeat of WW1. Then NAFTA hit and now that American's benefit from their cheap labor they are going to be hateful? Please, you made your bed. I don't give a damn-Go lie in it.
And don't talk to me about breaking the law. Many of you do it through ignorance or choice everyday.
The "Sympathizer" chant in 3...2...edit on 14-2-2011 by antonia because: RAWR
Originally posted by SilentStigma
So our Immigration system is so idiotic then you are more then welcome to leave. Also have you read Mexico's immigration laws If I wanted to move their? How about the actions they take on anyone immigrating into Mexico illegally from their southern borders? We are a lot nicer!
The USA however is apparantly full of imperialist , complaining whiners, who dont see why thier fantastic lives ought to occasionaly cost them a pretty penny,
1. $11 Billion to $22 billion is spent on welfare to illegal aliens each year. /zob77
2. $2.2 Billion dollars a year is spent on food assistance programs such as food stamps, WIC, and free school lunches for illegal aliens. www.cis.org...
3. $2.5 Billion dollars a year is spent on Medicaid for illegal aliens. www.cis.org...
4. $12 Billion dollars a year is spent on primary and secondary school education for children here illegally and they cannot speak a word of English ! transcripts.cnn.com...
5. $17 Billion dollars a year is spent for education for the American-born children of illegal aliens, known as anchor babies. transcripts.cnn.com...
6. $3 Million Dollars a DAY is spent to incarcerate illegal aliens. transcripts.cnn.com...
7. 30% percent of all Federal Prison inmates are illegal aliens. http://t ranscripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0604/01/ldt.01.html
8. $90 Billion Dollars a year is spent on illegal aliens for Welfare & social services by the American taxpayers. premium.cnn.com...
9. $200 Billion Dollars a year in suppressed Am erican wages are caused by the illegal aliens. transcripts.cnn.com...
10. The illegal aliens in the Un ited States have a crime rate that's two and a half times that of white non-illegal aliens. In particular, their children, are going to make a huge additional crime problem in the US transcripts.cnn.com...
11. During the year of 2005 there were 4 to 10 MILLION illegal aliens that crossed our Southern Border also, as many as 19,500 illegal aliens from Terrorist Countries. Millions of pounds of drugs, coc aine, meth, heroine and marijuana, crossed into the U. S from the Southern border. Homeland Security Report: /t9sht
12. The National Policy Institute, "estimated that the total cost of mass dep ortation would be between $206 and $230 billion or an average cost of between $41 and $46 billion annually over a five year period."
13. In 2006 illegal aliens sent home $45 BILLION in remittances back to their countries of origin. www.rense.com...
14. "The Dark Side of Illegal Immigration: Nearly One Million Sex Crimes Committed by Illegal Immigrants In The United States ". www.drdsk.com...