It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia illegal immigrant college student indicted

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Georgia illegal immigrant college student indicted

www.ne cn.com

The Marietta Daily Journal reports that Kennesaw State University student Jessica Colotl was indicted Thursday. Sheriff's office officials said Colotl gave deputies a false address and telephone number when she was being booked after an arrest.

Colotl's case sparked a larger debate on illegal immigration in the state after she was stopped for a minor traffic violation last spring, arrested for driving without a license and nearly deported.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Undocumented student's arrest called part of 'civil rights disaster'

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I am updating on a thread that I put up a while back about this student and illegal immigrants children attending school essentially illegally, and what repurcussions she might face. The story is back in the news now, the girl was indicted now for giving false information to attend school. , fake address, phone number, ect.

I agree that education should be readily available to any citizen who is willing to participate, but the key word here is LEGAL, and in this particular case, the girl was previously arrested for driving without a license, more than once, she was marching through life with no documentation, and lying to get what she wanted, I am not so sure I see this as a person desperate to get an education, or a person who breaks all the rules to get what they want, even if they don't have to break the rules. It makes me mad to think a legal citizen may have not been allowed into that school because their rightful place there was taken by this girl, she did have avenues to take to legalize herself, but she didn't. She really didn't have a plan as to what she would do about it, and IMO that means she was going to continue to lie, cheat, whatever it takes, to get by in America. This has to stop.

www.ne cn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
should have sent her back to where she came from the first time she broke the law.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

I agree with your sentiments 100%.
Just like it is not Americas job to continually foot the bill to police the world...it is not our job to educate the worlds masses at the cost to our taxpayers. Taxes are insane in America now. With the politically elite taking their cut, sending American tax dollars to countries that despise us and our growing nanny state boarders...how does our government plan to continue this madness you may ask? More taxes. With continuous taxation just as they did with the multitude of hidden taxes contained within the "healthcare reform".

What is it so difficult to understand the difference between legal and illegal anyway?

edit on 14-2-2011 by TexasChem because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
as a legal immigrant I have to say it's unfair for illegals to go to the backdoor while we play fair so will applaud if she is deported

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

Exactly. I would not be a legal citizen of the United States, had my great grandfather come here illegally. He did whatever was asked of him to become a citizen, it didn't happen overnight, but it did happen. In grattitude his son, and his grandson (my father) devoted their lives to the military service of this nation, becoming career military men. Their pride, their devotion, dedication to their purpose and families, all come down to pride in being accepted in this great nation as citizens.

What pride can one take in stealing your way into a back door, and then lying for the rest of your life, to attain that which others take so much pride in attaining legally and rightfully?

One thing about this case, it was originally thought to be a catylist for future cases like it, and right now the courts are no longer seemingly in the favor of the student/illegal immigrant, so maybe this will reinterate a message among those who would steal their way through this society.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
While I believe firmly in immigration laws. This particular girls seems to be stuck in the middle. Her parents brought her here, illegally, as a small child.

She was left without a personal choice in the matter. I can empathize with aspects of her situation. Her story has been a very divisive issue here in Atlanta, with people on both sides of it, and many taking extreme positions on both sides.

My personal view is that her having to "fake it" was implied by her situation and is, thus, a mitigating factor.

~Heff

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

At 18 she could have left the country and come back legally. At least that would show effort to legalize one's self. I think that at 18 you are an adult, so as an adult she knew she was illegal, she knew she was driving illegallly, which by the way means that in the case of an accident, she also had no insurance, she knew she provided false information to obtain a place in school, why risk all that when she could have done something about it? And in the end, no matter how much college she attends, she is still illegal. Funds have already been obtained illegally and at taxpayer expense. She should pay that back.

There has to be a line drawn, otherwise we are saying it is okay to steal your way in, even if your parents are responsible for doing that, when you become an adult, it is up to you to straighten it out or change your plan.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

My personal opinion when the story broke last year was that I felt she should be allowed to finish school and then be deported back to her home country (El Salvador, if memory serves.) if she could not legally obtain resident alien status at that time.

If I recall correctly she was a good student. And I am very much pro opportunity for those who earn it. Before her alien status was "outted" she had earned a chance at an education.

~Heff

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I'm going to be 21 this year and I'm going to college and I know A LOT of people in a situation similar to that girl's.

They were basically brought here when they were just 5 or 7 years old, they had no choice whether or not they wanted to come here and were just following their parents. Any kid would have followed their parents, now they were raised here and most of them don't speak their native language. The Dream Act which would have allowed people in this situation to become legal was shot down last year by Republicans. That made me upset.

I believe everyone has the right to an education, just because they were born on the other side of an imaginary line does not make them less of a person that you or I.

Oh and one more thing, it's not as simple as turning 18, going back and coming in legally. If they had chose to do that they would need at least $10,000 an employer willing to sponsor them or a family member. They would also have to wait 5-15 years.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   

that means she was going to continue to lie, cheat, whatever it takes, to get by in America.

At least she assimilated to our culture.

I kid.. kind of.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
She broke the law she should face the penalties.. Fine , Jailtime and deportation to country of origin. There is no excuse for violating immigration laws. If people want to immigrate they need to do so in accordance with the laws of the country they immigrate to.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
The question arises about why this young woman chose to lie on numerous occasions, and operate a motor vehicle on not one but numerous occasions without proper identification or insurance. That is serial lawlessness on her part, and it is clear as far as I am concerned she does not care. I am supposed to feel sympathy for her plight with conduct like that? It stinks that she was brought her at a young age by her parents and this is the only place she knows as home. However, she has had plenty of time to improve her situation and to develop options to validate her status.

Moreover, breaking the law as she has done up to this point is only going to weaken her chances toward legitimate residency. Again, her actions tell me she does not care, and is only seek necessary channels to get her situation under control. Now, she is indicted, going to have drop from school, and will be deported back to a country she has never really known.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

That kind of thinking doesn't enter into the general ATS psyche. It's black or white, wrong or white. Imagine being a kid and taken with your parents to someplace you don't know. What are you going to do? The fact people are even pretending the girl had a choice in the matter is just stupid. As for the idea of her leaving at 18 and coming-No, it doesn't work. You need thousands of dollars and if you were ever here illegally your pooch is screwed. Our immigration system is idiotic to begin with. It pays to deny people over and over. Go to Mexico and see how they live and then tell me these people have thousands of dollars to come here legally. There needs to be a REAL solution on this issue. Not the 5 year old mentality solution we keep hearing. You are not going to be able to round up 11 million plus people and toss them out. It's not going to happen. Many of you have no idea how far back this goes. For many years there was no real issue with them crossing the border. No one cared. Then WWI hit and they begged Mexicans to come live and work in the U.S. Promised them a good life, then threw them out on their ass. The Great Depression came, they deported hundreds, even those who born in this country. Then WW2 Came and we saw a repeat of WW1. Then NAFTA hit and now that American's benefit from their cheap labor they are going to be hateful? Please, you made your bed. I don't give a damn-Go lie in it.

And don't talk to me about breaking the law. Many of you do it through ignorance or choice everyday.

The "Sympathizer" chant in 3...2...
edit on 14-2-2011 by antonia because: RAWR

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Heff,

I know plenty of college students that were brought here illegally by their parents, but jumped through every hoop imagineable to become legal themselves. It can be done. There is a procedure in place for it, the kids just have to be willing to do it. I suppose there is some fear factor involved, because once you start the process, if you are not successful, then you get deported. Some choose to stay under the radar instead of taking the risk to get legal, but in the long run, they should do it the right way.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
You know I just feel like I need to get this off my chest here. Let me say that I hate it that my thoughts make me feel like such a bigot... a hater... when I know those words could not be further from the truth in describing myself and how I feel about the human condition over all. But dammit, really? I am sick and tired of having the plight of ILLEGAL immigrants shoved down my throat and having my humanism put into question when I come back with a "but they are here illegally....what these folks are doing is against the laws of the very country that the espouse love for". I am for anyone coming to this country legally. We all have much to learn from each other and the one thing I love about this country is that there are so many people here from all over the world with life stories to share that are just amazing! I know... I've heard them. I've volunteered for Habitat for the last 13 years and have had the privilage to meet people from all over that are here legally and shared the stories of their lives that frankly put mine to shame. With that said, however........

This young ladies parents brought her here when she was very young, the choice to call America her home was not of her own choosing, I get that. Her parents obviously did not care much for the opportunities this country could provide for them in becoming legalized as they did not bother to go through the steps to become citizens themselves., So why should she bother either? I get that too... but she's now 18. She's of legal age....of an age where she really does know right from wrong. Time for her to step up to the plate, do the right thing, start taking the steps her parents should have done a long time ago in becoming a citizen of a country that would welcome her with open arms if she would only stand up and become part of the solution rather than remaining part of the problem.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Anyone know of a country I can go to illegally, repeatedly commit fraud and not be asked to leave the country?
Guarantee they would have charges brought against me here in the states if I did the same. Why should illegals be above our laws, like so many think they should? I keep hearing about all the rights illegals should have in this country. What about my rights as a flipp'n citizen of this country. Anyone EVER heard of an illegal concerned with the rights of the citizens of this country, anyone think illegals care that citizens have jobs, or if I can afford to send my kids to college w/out paying out of state tuition?
Screw'em, I don't need to be cocerned about anyone that doesn't also have some concern for my situation and my country. It's to bad they've been to lazy to put in the effort to fix their own corrupt country but it's NOT my problem and I get tired of being told it is.
Deport them all, that's what they would have done to us if we were taking their jobs, they were suppoting us and bankrupting their country. No sympathy here for hypocritical cowards stealing from me. Just more give me for free crap.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
i believe if you are brought here illegally as a child and have spent more time inthis country than home country then you should not be sent back. imagine this girl being sent back home they would have pegged her for a target within days of her arrival.yes i am against illegal immigration but it isn't always black and white.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Don't see any problem, other then she should have been deported the first time.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by proteus33
i believe if you are brought here illegally as a child and have spent more time inthis country than home country then you should not be sent back. imagine this girl being sent back home they would have pegged her for a target within days of her arrival.yes i am against illegal immigration but it isn't always black and white.

Then YOU pay for her, support her family with YOUR job and sacrifice YOUR own kids education and future.
What happens to her when she gets sent back isn't our problem let her family that broke the law coming here figure it out.
edit on 14-2-2011 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join