It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sovereign Military Order of the Temple of Jerusalem / Knights of Malta

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   
OK I rewrote the posts I edited out the best I could remember...

Yes, cheif, I am well aware of the history of the order, what I am trying to figure out is what are they up to these days, besides their humanitarian efforts that are made public. Care to comment on their status as a sovereign entity? Do they have a military presence anywhere, as their name implies? Do you know? Have a guess?

It is very curious how little solid info I could come up with - well, not really... It's hard to get good solid info on any group like this, unless of course you know a member and can ask him. Anything further I can find I will be sure to post here.

[edit on 8/6/04 by The Axeman]

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Well, as you may know, they have NGO (Non-governmental Status) with the U.N. The Order maintains passports as a soverign nation, and have status as a nation just like the Vatican City.

When the crusades ended, their "military" status ended.

It is an invitation only organization. I recieved many documents from them last year, as well as an application.

Typically members are of noble descent, but this was changed recently. Typically, an outstanding Catholic, who stands far and above others in their activies and church and community is invited by a Knight of Malta to join the order.

It is a very high honor to be personally invited to the order, and it is also very expensive. I was given the application on the requirements, but I don't feel my "resume" of activites is good enough to be accepted yet.

I did get the names and addresses of Knights of Malta in the area, but I have yet to contact them, even if they decided me a worthy candidate, I don't have the funds.

This is the website of the official American Association of the Order of Malta.

www.maltausa.org...

Feel free to email them any questions that you have.

One stipulation is that you are a Catholic, in order to be considered for membership. I'm sure they will answer any questions that you have, and if your lucky, they'll send you some items about the order to you. Just say your doing some research on the order, and would like some information.

I'll check the documents that I recieved from the Canadian Assocation of the Order of Malta, and see if I can find something of interest to you.

CC

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Found out today that one of their symbols is the eight pointed star. Central lobby of the palace of westminster perchance?

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
SMOTJ and SMOM are two different groups.

SMOTJ - Sovereign Military Order of the Temple of Jerusalem, a modern invention, based on the ideals and regalia of the original Templars. It is an ecumenical Christian organization which dedicates time, money, and efforts to charity.
It is not "sovereign" as the SMOM...

SMOM - Sovereign Military Order of Malta aka Knights of St. John of the Hospital of Jerusalem, and of Rhodes, and of Malta aka The Knights of Malta (see disclaimer below)

Founded during the 1st Crusade, after the Templars, and are also called "the Hospitallers". After the fall of Outremer, moved to Rhodes and fortified the island. The Turks eventually drove them from Rhodes, and were granted the Maltese Islands by the Spanish Bourbon King (Phillip II?). Were driven from Malta by Napoleon circa 1798. Once were a military Order with an army and navy...(cont.)

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
SMOM (cont.)...has Observer Status at the UN. Passports are only for certain professed monks. Lay men/women are allowed, by invitation.

Another group known as the Knights of Malta is a biker-group.
Still another is a branch of the York Rite of Freemasonry.

There are three other "Orders of St. John" which the SMOM recognizes as "legitimate", and vice-versa:

The Most Venerable Order of St. John of the Hospital (British)
(Don't know the exact names, but similar branches in Germany, Sweden, and the Netherlands).

Zhenyghi, KHS (Knight of the Holy Sepulchre)

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Hi, I got an unusual e-mail about this Malta / SMOM stuff and so I ran a search here on ATS, I'm not really sure how relevant it is to the on-going discussion but I didn't feel an entire new thread was necessary. I never heard of this "SMOM" before, looks like I'll have to do some reading on the subject. The e-mail contained pictures but I'm not sure if they'll post...So here's what I was sent:

The Sovereign Council of the Order of Malta

The Prince and Grandmaster
His Most Eminent Highness, Frà Andrew Bertie

The Grand Commander
H.E Giacomo DALLA TORRE del TEMPIO di SANGUINETTO

Grand Chancellor
H.E. Jean-Pierre MAZERY

The Grand Hospitaller
His Excellency, Albrecht Freiherr von Boeselager

The Receiver of the Common Treasure
His Excellency, Marchese Gian Luca CHIAVARI Patrician Genoese

H.E. Fra' Gherardo HERCOLANI FAVA SIMONETTI
H.E. Fra' John A. MacPHERSON
H.E. Fra' Elie de COMMINGES
H.E. Fra' Carlo d'IPPOLITO di SANT'IPPOLITO
H.E. Antonio R. SANCHEZ-COREA, Jr.
H.E. Winfried HENCKEL von DONNERSMARCK

These people control the likes of Queen "Guelph" Elizabeth II & King Juan Carlos of Spain. These people control all Banking, Politics, Media, Intelligence & Entertainment (Hollywood etc). The second most powerful Order the World has ever known. Second only to the SOCIETY OF JESUS who control the SMOM to this very day.

SMOM GRANDMASTER Bertie with his loyal SMOM (Middle East) King Juan Carlos of Spain

SMOM (Gt Britain) Queen "GUELPH" Elizabeth II

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman
I was looking for more info on the SMOTJ when I came across these guys, The Sovereign Military Order of Malta, or Knights of Malta. Here is the link to one of their sites:

www.smom.org...

More to follow...

So Axeman -- go to:

www.orderofmalta.org/site/umanitarie_ordine.asp?idlingua=5

Make sure you click the "english" box in the upper left ... then scroll down the left column to look at the various initiatives undertaken by the Order of Malta.

You're clear that it's a Roman Catholic humanitarian organization, and it's not a secret society, right? There's no initiation, there's no secret oath or grip or purpose, and its charitable aims are public. The Order of Malta has permanent observer status at the UN, and is diplomatically recognized in 45+ countries. It's open to RC men and women who are of upstanding character and who live lives of humanitarian virtue. Very interesting group, with a fantastic history, but no secrets.

Your so-called "Templar" group, on the other hand, is a bit of a different story. The Templars were officially supressed in the early 1300s, so groups today claiming lineage to the Order of the Temple are latter-day inventions using an old name.

Cheers,
Sandalfon

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Sandalfon

Well, if their very own web-site [!!!] implies that they're not a secret society, than obviously no further investigation would be necessary.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsTheQuestion

Well, if their very own web-site [!!!] implies that they're not a secret society, than obviously no further investigation would be necessary.

ItsTheQuestion: Ahhhh, the sarcasm. Actually, their website doesn't address the issue of any supposed secret society status. I offered the link so that the poster could visit the site and learn more about the SMOM if he's interested. It's a publicly-visible group, which conducts its business and works in public, and which has no secret ceremonies or secret oaths, and where constituted, is always under the authority of the local Ordinary. (That's RC for "bishop".)

Do you have concerns or beliefs about them that run counter to that, or were you just offering a playful snipe?

Cheers,
Sandalfon

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Having a bit of fun, I'll admit. And no need to translate; I'm more familiar with the episcopacy of Holy Mother Church than I tend to let on around here.

I know that my favorite televised conservative, one Patrick J. Buchanan, is a member of the order. I also have good reason to believe that both the Knights of Malta and Columbus, as well as the Society of Jesus, for instance, much like their Masonic counter-parts, have a lot more to them then we, the laity, are led to believe.

That all said, some of the most peaceful moments of my life have been experienced celebrating mass. So I'm not here to bash the Roman Catholic Church. It is what it is...a very human, for better or worse, institution.

From time to time, my karma runs over my dogma.

Peace be with you.

[edit on 10.11.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsTheQuestion

I know that my favorite televised conservative, one Patrick J. Buchanan, is a member of the order. I also have good reason to believe that both the Knights of Malta and Columbus, as well as the Society of Jesus, for instance, much like their Masonic counter-parts, have a lot more to them then we, the laity, are led to believe.

[edit on 10.11.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

Et cum spíritu tuo, ItsTheQuestion.

So remember that actual chivalric order SMOM and fraternal organization KofC are lay organizations with occasional clergy chaplains though under the authority of the local bishop. They're 95% laity. So "they" are "us" -- that odd guy down the pew who makes coffee for 8:00 am Mass is KofC and the lady across the aisle in the orthopaedic shoes is a Dame of Malta. (I can't speak for the shape-changing reptilian overlords, because I haven't been invited into those elite upper level circles yet.)

But here's how that 'perception of power' occurs, IMHO. Under that aegis of the 'right to free association' I do think that wealthy and connected individuals (such as Karcher and Buchanan) connect socially through groups like those you cite. They tend to be wealthy high-performers who support HMC's programs and initiatives. My peers who are graduates of Jesuit colleges have an almost cult-like appreciation of the Society of Jesus, but are not "members" of anything, except maybe the Gonzaga or Georgetown alumni associations -- and probably respond to annual appeals for funds. The Jesuits I know personally are smart and a little impractical and slightly goofy. I'm not sure I'd trust any of them with world-domination, a large corporation, or great plans and secrets, though they're good at what they do -- teaching college and helping the downtrodden.

That said, we should watch Buchanan, though, in case he's signaling rising up and world-dominating to his cape and cross-wearing brethren -- or is he just fidgeting?

Cheers,
Sandalfon

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sandalfon
That said, we should watch Buchanan, though, in case he's signaling rising up and world-dominating to his cape and cross-wearing brethren -- or is he just fidgeting?

Well, considering his lineage, he may just be looking to set off a good, ol' fashioned donnybrook.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman

originally posted by pbrez
This group descends from the Order of St John (Hospitallers). The reason they have the title "sovereign military order" was because they became a military order when the Turks where trying to invade Malta then Europe a while back. This group really isn�t harmful they run a lot a charity missions. To join requires I think about 3000 dollars than a 800 dollar a year due. Also you have to have a college degree to join. Somewhere on the internet I saw pictures of someone joining (I don�t remember the link) and there was nothing unusual. They have an influence in America but they are not that big.

Well, please do not take offence, but this is a Catholic order, and one of their stated goals is to defend the catholic Church. I know from reading your posts that you are a Catholic, and a Knight of Columbus, so forgive me for saying I can see why you would be so quick to dismiss this group as harmless.

If what I have read is true, they have close ties with the Nazi Party during WW2 and even helped smuggle war criminals out of Germany and helped them escape and disappear after the war. I think that is charity for the wrong people. I'm not saying it's true or not, but there is a theory out there that says they did just that.

I would be interested to hear how anyone could defend those actions, if they are indeed true, of course.

I Also find this strange every Catholic on the board is quick enough to post stating that another Catholic secret society is just another fraternal group.

Yet their aims are defending the Vatican in the same way as they killed Protestants and Jews in the inquisitons hopefully the Catholic Knights on here will post saying how terrible their Church were to murder millions in the name of Christianity?????

Then again you might get the defender of the Faith brother Senrak saying you are Anti-Catholic because you have highlighted their heinous deeds back to you Sir Knights, Hospitlars, Hibernians, Opus Dei, Catenians my god they have more So called frasternal groups than the rest put together!!!!

[edit on 11-10-2008 by orangeman dave]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by orangeman dave

I Also find this strange every Catholic on the board is quick enough to post stating that another Catholic secret society is just another fraternal group.

Yes, how odd people defend themselves and their beliefs. Obviously indicative of a deeper conspiracy.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
You need to be careful in not confusing SMOM and SMOTJ (Knights Hospitaller and Knights Templar). The latter ties into the Hospitallers moved to Malta in medieval times; the other ties to Templars and deMolay.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Hi guys, first time poster here on ATS.
Being myself involved with the SMOM (the real one). Allow me to clarify a few points, and re-inforce what others have said.

Yes, SMOM is a sovreign entity with Observer status at most international forums, similarly to the Red Cross movement.

Yes, it does have the power to issue passports, stamps, vehicle licence plates and coins. Typically however, there are very few of these ever issues. At most there would be 5-10 people in the entire world who hold SMOM Passports. Stamps are very rarely used. There are a minute amount of vehicles with SMOM plates. Aircraft are leased from the Italian Military but carry SMOM Markings and Call signs. Coins are mostly only issued for decorative purposes. The small "army" that we do retain is in fact a constituent part of the Italian Military and is only used within the city of Rome for the security of our two extraterritorial buildings, the Villa Malta, and the Palazzo di Malta.

Yes, we are a religious order of sorts. However we are unique in that our leader is not ordained. He is a professed Knight, taking vows of chastity obedience and poverty.

No, we are not the orchestrators of a new world order.

No, we are not a secret society.

No, you do not have to be a captain of industry or a millionaire banker to join. In fact, the majority of Knights that I know are simple working men and women who dedicated their lives to the sick, disabled, or poor through the works of the Organisation, many of them being qualified Nurses or Doctors.

Yes, there are many other organisations with similar names, or symbols to which we have no affiliation. These organisations often lay claim to being linked with us, and this simply is not true.

Yes, we do a huge amount of International Relief work through our agency Malteser International.

Yes, we have some strange traditions, and our Knights and Dame's wear unusual clothing at official events. This is no different to a lot of old organisations which hold onto their traditions and dress.

Yes, it is hard to become a Knight. This is not because we are guarding some kind of conspiratorial secrets, but because to become a Knight is a huge huge privilege, and it's only right that those who give the most of themselves through helping the poor and sick should receive this privilege. In a world where people expect instant gratitude, it may seem hard for some people to comprehend a lack of instant reward for hard work.

If anyone has any questions, please do get in touch. I've studied the history of the Order to a fair degree and might be able to help people who are looking into doing some research. Also, having met HMEH Fra' Matthew Festing, the Prince and Grand Master of the SMOM only last week, let me just say that he came across as quite a nice person, and not the cult leader that some would believe him to be.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
The Knights Templars, the Knights of Malta and the Teutonic Knights are all different groups.

The Knights of St. John were started by merchants, nobles and warrior monks in Amalfi, Italy. They rushed to the "Holy Land" to collect religious relics, such as the Holy Grail and pieces of the True Cross after the thumb of John the Baptist was recovered by a French woman.

According to legend, the Fatimids began to fight the Christians, believing that the Christians were in an alliance with the Seljuq Turks (who were belligerent towards the Fatimids). In response, Pope Urban II declared the first Crusade. In reality, however, the crusaders were a bunch of white trash. Most of them were career criminals looking for a good fight and greener pastures. They called themselves the Poor Knights because they really were poor, and not by choice.

The Pope sent them to Jerusalem, which would have been a strategic location to establish a Christian church, and was also located along the caravan trade routes which brought exotic merchandise from the east. The crusaders actually attacked everybody in their path, including innocent Jews. Pope Urban II even called for the crusaders to attack the Turks, who weren't originally mentioned as belligerents.

Using their plundered spoils, the crusaders built what at the time was the largest hospital in the world -- the Hospital of St. John in Jerusalem -- near (over?) a monastery dedicated to St. John the Baptist. They eventually took to defending the hospital, as well as the roads leading to it, from the Turks and the Fatimids using military force. Some of that money was also used to build castles for the knights to live in while they defended the hospital.

In 1113, Pope Paschal II established the Order of the Knights of St. John, Soldiers of Christ (in Latin, Miles Christi). The popes after Paschal began to solicit donations and grants, and eventually sold indulgences and went into the financing industry to pay for the Crusades. Many other groups of knights from throughout Europe, including the Frankish Knights Templars, joined the Knights of St. John, looking for riches and political power in Jerusalem. They created a supergroup called the Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem. They taught their children to speak Arabic and identified ethnically as Phoenician instead of European.

After rivalries and in-fighting between the Knights Templars and the Knights of St. John, most of the knights were driven out by Baibas -- a Turkish slave who rose to become a sultan -- in the Second Crusade 100 years after the first Crusade. Another 100 years after that, a new group created from the remaining knights -- called the Knights Hospitallers (I've heard it pronounced hos-pi-TAL-ers and hos-SPIT-AL-ers) -- fled to Cyprus where they generated wealth by raising crops and livestock, and provided defense for the citizens against invading Muslims. Another 100 years after that, Philip Le Bel confiscated the wealth of the Knights Templars in France and gave some of it to the Hospitallers. The Hospitallers segregated their living quarters by nationality into "tongues" or "langue," each one lavishly-decorated.

In the 1444, the Hospitallers repelled invasions by the Sultan of Egypt, but the Turks took over the Peninsula of Halicanasas 50 years later. In 1532, Suleiman the Magnificent invaded Rhodes (the capital of Cyprus). The knights fled back to Sicily, then were commissioned to fight against invading Turks in other parts of Europe. They were also persecuted by the various European monarchs who were envious of their wealth, particularly the English. Around the time of the conquest of Constantinople in the 1400's the Turks adopted the crescent-and-star, which would later be used a symbol for all of Islam. In the ensuing years, the Turks would also come to control all of the Mediterranean trade routes.

In 1540, Charles V, King of Sicily, offered the islands of Malta (which was called "Melita" in Latin) and Goza as homes. The Hospitallers were christened the Order of the Knights of Malta. In 1565, during the Siege of Malta, the Spanish army aided the outnumbered knights in driving away the Turks from a port which would later become the town of Valletta. Money was given to the knights with which they built Valletta (named after Grandmaster La Valette). September 8, 1565 would be commemorated as Victoria Day or Malta Day (it was the birthday of Queen Victoria of England). After the knights and the Spanish and French armies cooperated in several more military campaigns ("knights in shining armor"), Malta became a major center of tourism as well as a major military training center. Suleiman died in 1566 after forming alliances with France, England and the Dutch Republic. The weak leadership of subsequent sultans led to a retreat by the Turks.

The knights became increasingly aggressive, to the point where they sailed to the Middle East in order to engage in piracy and extortion. During the 1700's Malta was among the most wealthiest of the European nations and their economy depended on slaves as well as feudal labor. In 1789 the Order of the Knights of Malta was abolished in the fallout of the French Revolution (and after the assassination of Czar Paul I by knights furious at him acting as a fraudulent grandmaster). Napoleon stole a mass of Maltese treasure and lost it in a sunken ship in Aboukir Bay during the Battle of the Nile. That lost treasure still hasn't been recovered. Several fraudulent "Knights Hospitaller" and "Knights of Malta" groups were established.

Pope Leo XIII restored Grand Master Order as a humanitarian organization. The Military Order of Malta dispenses $1 billion in aid each year, and operates as a sovereign state as well as a religious order. It has 50 embassies all over the world, and the grandmaster is head of state as well as a cardinal in the Catholic Church.

The Maternity Hospital of the Holy Family ("Hospital De La Sainte Familie Des Filles De La Charité") is located in Palestine between Muslim and Jewish land, and is operated by the Order of Malta. The "Holy Family" supposedly refers to Joseph, Mary and Jesus, but I suspect that it refers to the Merovingians.

Their official symbol (the Cross of St. John) was actually a symbol for the town of Amalfi.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by daithi86

If you have time and inclination please send me a private message. I'd very much like to discuss the order.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by vcwxvwligen

Are you saying that the founders of the Knights Templars were white trash, common folk criminals?

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by KSigMason
reply to post by vcwxvwligen

Are you saying that the founders of the Knights Templars were white trash, common folk criminals?

The knights themselves were white trash. Obviously, someone working for the Catholic Church founded the order. Pope Urban III said that they were "those who were robbers now become knights."

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join