It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video Games-simulated war battles?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I wasn't sure where to post this but a though occured to me as I watched my sons playing a war game on play station last night. What if these game companies are in cahoots with the government or other shadow groups to teach these kids battle strategy and computer skills at the same time? Future battle may all be done by computer and what better way to train the future soldiers in these tecnics while they are young? I might be a little paranoid but with all this draft talk it does seem to be a possibilty.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 08:30 AM
link   
that's like the movie 'toys' with robin williams. it's possible to an extent. a lot of the more complex games are made by the same companies that make training software for the military. one example is hps sims (which incidentally makes really fun games!)

www.hpssims.com

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Its no secret that the military and DARPA have spent money looking at games to help with simulations. Im not sure that there is an active efforet to pretrain our youth, but it may be a side effect of all of this gaming. Future airforce pilots for UCAVS will have to have excellent gaming skills!

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   
yeah, i've always kind of wondered that myself, especially with games like counterstrike, rainbow6, america's army, etc.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
yeah, i've always kind of wondered that myself, especially with games like counterstrike, rainbow6, america's army, etc.

americas army is the perfect example! i think that game monitors people's scores, and then the army sends recruiting material to the top percentage.

also, i hear when an army group is planning on raiding a building to which they have the blueprints for, such as an american embassy that's been taken over, the troops plan for the mission by playing a quake-style game where they map the blueprints into a level. this gives the troops the advantage of being able to visualise the building before they actually go in, so they know where everything is.

-koji K.

[edit on 15-7-2004 by koji_K]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I just find the Armed Forces marketing/advertising disturbing that uses Computer Sim graphics to make everything look like a video game.

Like simulated people fighting fires (Reserve) or dragons (Marines). What the heck? DRAGONS?

Oh they know what they're doing. I did some minority tracking for a particular branch of armed services and bid on the big ad account several times. Just like with any campaign, it's no accident. The trick is to not be obvious. Especially with minorities or poor people. Can't exactly say "Hey poor people!" or worse, though that's basically what they're saying.

[edit on 15-7-2004 by RANT]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I once read that the government does use video games to help train their own troops while their off duty.

I would make sense for them to do it, or get the kids used to warfare like that. Look at all the war themed games out there, Counter-Strike,Rainbow 6,Socom, and now Vietnam war games are hitting the shelfs.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   
These games teach it all including hand-eye coordination, battle stategy and even weapons training. It is very scary, but the say the younger you are when you learn something the better you retain that information!

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
There is some good sci-fi out there about this very type of subject.

Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card immediately jumps to mind but I know there are others.

As a former war video game player (Duke Nukem
Quake I - III, MOHAA, RTCW, Unreal), I can tell you that the ones played online in teams do really allow you to practice not only hand-eye and reaction time but serious teamwork, stratagy, tactics, and leadership.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Although I haven't yet bought it. Full Spectrum Warrior is said to:

".....based on training software Pandemic developed for the US Army and is designed to give players the experience of commanding two four man teams of light infantry soldiers......"

From here

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Full Spectrum Warrior is a very intense, realistic game. It takes place in a fictional Middle Eastern country of "Zekistan" and pits your 2 4 man fire teams against Islamic terrorist and a dictator who is guilty of genocide. In other words, it's a non-direct Iraq war simulation. It really is a great game, fun, and informative, but it is scary once you step back and look at it objectively. It really is training in a video game.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
All of my video games are war games and yeah full spectrum warrior is nice the military is also using it to train nits troops but the military also uses a screen and then weapons that fire lasers in to the screen to measure your score these weapons use compressed air to give the shooter the recoil feeling its pretty kool kind of like virtual reality.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
My friend just picked up Full Speatrum Warrior last night. We went over to his house and went through all the training missions. Very different game - it teaches you to move as a fire team and pay attention to movement and cover instead of just running around and shooting at people. I enjoyed it very much and look forward to playing it. The M203 is really cool too

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Anyone heard of America's Army? Training game right there; used by the US Army I believe.

As for those aspiring to become a general, I highly recommend RTS games. Especially Total Annihilation.

Your idea of the government cooperation with game companies to train soldiers is a bit far flung since in today's capitalist center of the world, game makers are here for the money not for the government. Future battles will not be done through computers although it will be assisted by computers (as is already the case today with such tanks as the M1A1 Abram using a computer system). My reasoning behind future battles not taking hold in a digital battlefield is this: in war, you want to make them suffer and force them into surrender. I highly doubt an entire nation is going to grovel to one's gaming abilities and surrender because no one in their nation can match their superior laggy 56k connection

Once again, computers will not replace battles but they will aid battles. However, games do have a major psychological impact on the youth more or less depending on how often they win, I would say. For instance, if you were playing an RTS (real-time strategy) game and you constantly win battles then would you be inspired to become a general?

Just throwing in ideas.

EDIT: Oh, and about Full Spectrum Warrior, here's an extract from their game overview posted on the official site:

Full Spectrum Warrior is based on a game commissioned by the U.S. Army to train light Infantry troops in urban combat situations. Soldiers are placed in a tense, hostile, and claustrophobic environment where they must complete a variety of military objectives.

[edit on 15-7-2004 by Blackout]

[edit on 15-7-2004 by Blackout]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Hey dont be dissing my 56K connection!

For large scale strategy sims, look no further than Combat Mission. (Best strategy games ever)
I have Barbarossa to Berlin but they are pretty much the same. All set in WW2 but the rumor is that CM2 will be set in modern times! Just think, we could finally decide which tank is the best in (almost) real combat. The games include the real armor slope (among other) stats for every vehicle! Plus it is super fun. If anyone else has CMBB U2U me for a match. They also have other good strat games. Check out TacOps which is a commercial version of an Army officer trainer.

Oh and I wouldn't put Counterstrike on the same level as Rainbow Six 3 and AA as far as realism goes.

[edit on 15-7-2004 by RogueX]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
At least the games require some thinking. With most video/computer games, you walk away dumber than you were. They're also nice for military people or military enthusiests who want to play a game that is more realistic.

new topics

top topics

join