It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFOs always near my house.

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I looked at #4....because it was allegedly "1.5 hours".

Dude! Was reported October 2010!!!!

Come on...let's get serious, here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looked at #2...it is a link to a post in this thread??

That is thoroughly unconvincing, sorry.

The others, are all in the 10-15 minute range....which is totally in line with airplanes, seen from distances....the landing lights are VERY bright, on clear nights. Maybe I have to repeat here, how it works for us....the exterior lights are turned on when descending through 18,000 feet...as a general practice. NOT a rule, not a "regulation"...just an SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) to increase visibility, to OTHER airplanes, as we descend. More traffic, more VFR traffic exists below that altitude. Not ALL of them in contact with ATC. Get it??

Now.....IF you were to plan a descent without restrictions from ATC (intermediate level-offs, and stuff...which are VERY common, BTW) but, if you could just have a "perfect" descent, all the way from top of descent (point when you leave cruise altitude), then the rule of thumb, in most large jets, is 1,000 feet per THREE miles.

It's an easy "in your head" thing to work out....and, of course, modern jets have sophisticated computers to do the calculations....but, keeping that basic relationship in mind helps as a"double check" on the automation.

SO....@ 18,000 (and assuming the airport is Sea Level...Chicago is close enough, at 672 feet) 18 X 3 = 54. SO, about 55 miles out, you expect you should be passing through 18,000 feet on the descent. Landing lights are turned "ON" as part of routine, and the "In Range Checklist". (In Range is called for, at that point...18,000 feet....common to just about every airline I know of. When they get to cruise altitudes above 18,000. For short flights, where you don't get that high, then it is conducted at top of descent. IF you don't go above 18,000 for cruise? Usually, keep the lights on, unless in clouds. Clouds reflect back, and are distracting. Like you car's high-beams in fog....).

OK....long-winded to explain a point....

• Landing lights very bright? Check!
  • Landing lights turned on passing thru about 18,000 feet? Check!!
  • Landing lights ON when at minimum of about 55 miles out from the airport? Check!!!

Do you get it, now? Some of those lights can be 55 miles (or more) out there, and on a very clear night, be very visible. Think about perspective and distance and relative apparent motion....think hard on that.
    edit on 20 February 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

• posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:41 PM
    link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

I looked at #4....because it was allegedly "1.5 hours".

Dude! Was reported October 2010!!!!

Come on...let's get serious, here.

So? October 2010... 4 months ago.... Your point?

Are you going to admit you were mistaken or no? Because you were.... There WERE reports out there of sightings that lasted a lot longer than you wish to believe...

It was NOT allegedly 1.5 hours.. It WAS 1.5 hours... So let's be careful not to incorrectly call it "alleged:... I didn't make it up... The link is right there...

Yes, please... Let's get serious...
    edit on 20-2-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:45 PM
    link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
    OK, well, I went through the thread for those who have not done so in order to gather a few of the links that have sightings that lasted between 15 minutes to 1.5 hours..Again these are sightings, similar to what the OP saw...

www.nuforc.org... ( 15 minutes)

www.abovetopsecret.com... (30 minutes... Saw this one myself on MUFON)

www.nuforc.org... ( 15-20 minutes)

www.nuforc.org... (1.5 hours)

So... Weedwhacker... You said to please correct you if you are mistaken... Well... Here they are... some of the similar sightings in the same area lasting much longer than just a couple of minutes....Found these in a matter of 5 minutes... Feel free to go through this thread as well as MUFON and NUFORC and find more. As I said... They are there.

But these are different sightings, not the OPs.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:48 PM
    link   
    reply to post by cripmeister

OK, really. Read the thread. Would you? How many times now, have I said exactly that? How many times have I said that these are sightings similar to the OP, and NOT identical to the OP?

Let me say it again, loud and clear... Please read it this time...

There have been numerous sightings in the area that are similar to that of the OP... Many of them have lasted a long time...

That is my statement... That has always been my statement... I have backed my statement up with links and proof...

That is what I am saying... Nothing more, nothing less... Similar sightings, and like the OP, they lasted a long time....

Understand now?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:58 PM
    link   

Sure I understand, but these other sightings are irrelevant.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:02 PM
    link   

No, they aren't. They are sightings similar to what the OP saw. Like the OP has claimed. They lasted a long time. Do you know why these sightings were brought up and are relevant to this thread?

The question was, were there other sightings in the area, similar to the OP that also lasted a long time. It was asked because it was being implied that the OP might have made up the amount of time in which his sightings lasted... The answer is yes. There have been other, similar sightings in the area, that have lasted a long time, like the OP's sighting.

Which suggests that the OP was not making up or lying about the duration of time that went by during his sighting. These sightings are a relevant part of the discussion.

You should know this.... It's all written in this thread.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:11 PM
    link   

Not really...the bloomingdale sighting and my sighting are the same sighting. Facing the same direction. Taken at different times. Go back in the thread and notice when I said at 8:03 that the objects were still visible there. Then take a look at the video recorded in bloomingdale, and he recorded his at 8. It was the same sighting from a different location.

The other sightings on mufon were submitted the same night, from other towns very close by. There's nothing irrelevant about it.

If you think multiple witness reports to an event are irrelevant, I'm not really sure what's wrong with you...lol
    edit on 20-2-2011 by apodictic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:13 PM
    link   

Those other sightings are irrelevant.....because, we all know how the "BIG ONE" that happened in Chicago, over O'Hare, just recently (was it last year??) made BIG news!! Multiple sightings, corroborated....at the SAME time and date!!!

These, you posted?? Pffffft! (sorry....but, pffft).

Hearsay. Dutifully recorded, and logged. But, what became of the "investigations"? (If any)??

See it yet? I think I was spot on, with the "viral" nature of these....and think of it as sort of short "band wagon" that occurs...person "A" mistakes airplane lights, at great distance....while the OTHER TWO MILLION RESIDENTS of the city who see them realize they are just airplanes....but, person "A" posts the video on YouTube.

Person "B" sees that, and is "convinced" (This is called "confirmation bias"). And on and on..... ad infinitum .....
    edit on 20 February 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:15 PM
    link   

I take that back. These other sightings are not irrelevant but important. They seem to indicate, and I'm not trying to shove this down anyones throat, that people in Chicago mistake airplanes for UFOs quite often.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:16 PM
    link   
    nvm
    edit on 20-2-2011 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:23 PM
    link   
    reply to post by weedwhacker

Hmm.. What can I say to that? No... As the OP just said. Multiple witnesses seeing the same thing and reporting it to MUFON... is NOT irellevant and I am dumbfounded as to how you could even think that.

You speak of a sighting that made the news last year... Has this one made the news? To my knowledge these sightings were not made after some big news story... So... you thinking that it is just a case of mass hysteria... Well... Quite frankly... You are making no sense...

I get it. You have your mind made up and are unwilling to even look at the evidence... You are unwilling to admit that you could be wrong...

Hey, I could be wrong. The OP has said they could be wrong.... Could YOU be wrong? I think so.. You are only human...

Similar sightings of this object took place and were reported... Not because their was a story about it on the news... But because,individual people saw it.... They reported it ON THEIR OWN...

As far as you or I know, it has only gotten as big as a few threads on ATS... Go figure. I get asked for similar sightings that suggest that other people saw it, and I provide that. I get asked for similar sightings that run about the same time as the OP's. I provide that...

Yet somehow, now that I have done it and shown those who were questioning the OP's duration of time... Suddenly that evidence is not important anymore? Suddenly... It's not good enough? Well, I have given you exactly what you two have asked for... Every bit of it...

If it was not relevant... Why was it asked for? Your idea of mass hysteria, based on some sighting that apparently made the news last year... That is what is NOT relevant... You know why? There have been no "big news stories" and then after that all these sightings just appeared... That didn't happen...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:29 PM
    link   

Originally posted by cripmeister

I take that back. These other sightings are not irrelevant but important. They seem to indicate, and I'm not trying to shove this down anyones throat, that people in Chicago mistake airplanes for UFOs quite often.

So they are airplanes? Well perhaps you would like to attempt to answer the other question I had asked that the aviation expert weedwhacker was able to only speculate about.... Using psychology... rather than his aviation expertise.

How can a plane be seen in one spot for 1.5 hours? Coming straight at you, it can look like it is standing still and floating for a few minutes until it gets closer or further away.... Not for 1.5 hours though...

Please... I am truly trying to understand here... Maybe you could help me out with the physics of how that would work?

And by the way, no one here is claiming that it is any kind of flying saucer... The OP is looking to find out exactly what he saw, be it a plane, a bird or superman... It's just that there is a hole in the plane theory... Staying in one point, how can one plane be visible for so long?

I am looking for an explanation... I mean... Is it possible? I really want to know. Can a plane be seen from a single vantage point for a period of 1.5 hours? If it's an airplane, It's an airplane (In fact I think the OP was the first to even suggest that as a possibility) but... I just don't understand how it is possible for a plane to be visible for 1.5 hours....Anybody at all?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:31 PM
    link   

That's your opinion. Move along now

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:38 PM
    link   

Originally posted by apodictic

The other sightings on mufon were submitted the same night, from other towns very close by. There's nothing irrelevant about it.

One other sighting was submitted from IL on Feb 14 but date of the event was Feb 13.

Long Description of Sighting Report
    This happens every night in the same spot. sometimes there are up to 10 near eachother, sometimes their are only 3. they are big spheres that are extremely bright and rather rainbow colored but if not an orange-ish glow. The location closest to where they fly over every night is in Crete Il (america) and there is a road called Old Post Road by Plum Valley subdivision. You will see them around there. there is also haunted woods off of old post road (axemans bridge), im not sure if there is any connection. I was in my room looking out my window last night, and i saw 3 of them last night. They flew a variation of fast and slow but they stayed in the same area almost the whole night. I wasnt any sort of emotion, this happens every night and i just decided to report it

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:41 PM
    link   

Gee maybe it could been submitted at midnight or early morning hours?
    How is it relevant if it's a day late when they said it happens all the time lol

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:42 PM
    link   

UM....Hello!!! (Not directed specifically to cripmeister, but to all readers):

Long Description of Sighting Report
    This happens every night in the same spot.....

Just the excerpt that popped out at me.

What does THAT tell you????

("every night, in the SAME spot")???

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:47 PM
    link   

Do you have any idea how many UFO stories there are about objects showing up in the same spot?

Weed, with all due respect (not that I have much at the moment), I have never ever once seen you admit anywhere where you could have any possibility of being wrong. If you could admit this, I would gain a lot more respect for you. As for right now, in my line of study, I'm coming more and more to the conclusion that you have a narcissistic personality disorder. We get it. You're a pilot. You like planes. You study planes. You've seen millions of planes. Therefore, everything in the sky, must be explained as planes planes. We understand. If they're planes, stop discussing a video showing planes and move on. You're not gaining any ground here with people who have their minds made up and seen otherwise.

Now, weed, is there any possibility that you could be wrong?
    edit on 20-2-2011 by apodictic because: (no reason given)

Mod Note: Courtesy Is Mandatory – Please Review This Link.
    edit on 2/20/2011 by maria_stardust because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:49 PM
    link   

It tells me that that particular reportee has seen it before... and that again... No one is able to answer the question I have been asking for several pages now....Other than your speculation of course, about losing track of time... Getting distracted... ETC...

That said, I have a question for you. You ARE the one who was asking to see the other similar sightings in the area in order to see whether or not the OP was being honest about the duration of time their sighting lasted... I showed them to you...

You said to correct you if you were wrong... Well, you were wrong... My question is, now that you have the evidence you were asking for... Why is it that it is no longer good enough for you? It seems that before you had the evidence in your hands it would have been good enough for you, but... now... it's not...

Help me understand your thinking process? Why did you want it, if you weren't going to take it seriously?

Will you admit right now that you were wrong in suggesting that there were no other sightings in the area that lasted as long as the OP? Will you admit right now that you could be wrong?

Hey, I admit I could be wrong... Will you do the same?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:57 PM
    link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

How can a plane be seen in one spot for 1.5 hours? Coming straight at you, it can look like it is standing still and floating for a few minutes until it gets closer or further away.... Not for 1.5 hours though...

Please... I am truly trying to understand here... Maybe you could help me out with the physics of how that would work?

And by the way, no one here is claiming that it is any kind of flying saucer... The OP is looking to find out exactly what he saw, be it a plane, a bird or superman... It's just that there is a hole in the plane theory... Staying in one point, how can one plane be visible for so long?

I am looking for an explanation... I mean... Is it possible? I really want to know. Can a plane be seen from a single vantage point for a period of 1.5 hours? If it's an airplane, It's an airplane (In fact I think the OP was the first to even suggest that as a possibility) but... I just don't understand how it is possible for a plane to be visible for 1.5 hours....Anybody at all?

This has been a misconception Im afraid.

The lights are not stationary for 2 hours or at all for that matter. They are moving. Look closely at the videos. I promise you they are all moving.

They fact that they appear to be stationary is an optical illusion based on the viewers perspective. Its a common mistake.

I live in NYC and see this all the time when the planes line up for approach into LGA.

Whom ever is claiming that these lights stayed in one place for 2 hours without moving is either lying or sorely mistaken.

Im pretty sure it's reasonable to assume that planes can fly into an airport using the same approach pattern for several hours depending on wind conditions...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:59 PM
    link   

Originally posted by apodictic

Gee maybe it could been submitted at midnight or early morning hours?
    How is it relevant if it's a day late when they said it happens all the time lol

*sigh*

edit to add: Ok I see, so everything in you OP is how it kind of happened right? You didn't actually sit by your window for hours non-stop watching the lights. You probably sat by your computer, went to the bathroom, maybe made yourself a sandwich - only once in a while peeking out of your window right?

I think I'll move along now.
    edit on 20-2-2011 by cripmeister because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join