It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 Months before new members can make a thread - Either this or the site dies

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by On the level

I really empathise with your ire On the Level, but at the same time, I have to say if the system you advocate were in place when I joined this site, I probably wouldnt have stayed here. Thats not to say that I would have been hamstrung from doing all the annoying things that new posters do, its just that personaly, I never found the need to be a troll or goof off when discussing serious issues.
I do not think that being new to the site marks a person out as a potential troll, hoaxer, timewaster etc. I think that each member should be judged according to thier behaviour, and the quality of thier posts, not the amount of time they have been a member. Im certain there are some issues that have arisen which would not have, if it werent for persons posting while unfamiliar with the ebb and flow of the site, and its rules and regs, but for those like me, who can simply fall into the comfortable ways of a given system, I think the apparant discrimination which would result from the implementation of your suggestions would be detrimental.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
"Either this or the site dies"

Hmmm, I'm just trying to figure out if that bit is a threat, or if this thread should be moved to the Predictions & Prophecies Forum...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I have made plenty of threads that fizzled belly up. Big deal, on the internet there is always something else to talk about.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by redmage

You know what I meant
ATS is dying a slow death as we speak, the influx of new members vs the loss of some quality old ones has brought about a serious dip in quality. I have and will look to make more quality threads however it feels like I am pissing into the wind

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ValValient4
Im new here so Im wondering what these flags and stars and titles are all about?

Im old not familiar with net jargon someone please define what you deem to be a "Troll"... If that applies to me can I be an Ancient Wyrm instead?

My point exactly.

i mean seriously. how many new members are we going to get on here before we have it mandatory that they utilize the ATS Freshman forum to learn this infomation before they begin posting their own threads? I think it would benefit everyone!

ValValient you should go to the Freshman Forum and look these things up yourself. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 18-2-2011 by xynephadyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by On the level
You know what I meant

Ya caught me!

I couldn't resist adding a touch of levity.

No doubt the quality level around these parts can ebb and flow. ATS is a LOT bigger than when I was an ol' lurker who eventually joined. With such population growth it's only natural that some bad apples are going to slip in, and the overall average quality level will likely dip. That said, as long as people who abide by the T&Cs feel they can speak their minds about topics they find fascinating... I don't see ATS going away any time in the foreseeable future.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
To the OP...your comments come off as elitist. I'm sure you probably feel as if you're special since you've been a member so long and have paid your dues. I do agree there are some way out there threads, but you don't have to read them. I have been a lurker on this site for over a year and finally decided to become a member when the bird die offs started happening. There's some wild stuff out there going on. I'm sure you don't mean to sound elitist, but when you come off that way it's just another way of separating the old guys/gals on the site from the newbies. Everyone wants to be special and you are...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueGrit

I am not trying to be elitist or special just offering a solution to a real problem that exists on the site, it is damning that this thread has not been closed or Mods havent swooped in an set me straight, they know this is a real issue and that a lot of new members are trolling and using several accounts at once.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
There is already and restriction on creating new threads if you just signed up. You have to post 20 replies before you can start your own threads on topics you want to talk about. I disagree with that and believe members should be able to post as soon as they sign up. It just creates frustration for people if they really feel like they need to start a new thread to talk about a subject they feel strongly about.

I don't think there should be any of those type of restrictions.
edit on 21-2-2011 by TinFoilHatMan55 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join