It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are some icebreakers to discuss more than fluff?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
What do you do for a living? What's the weather like? Did you see the football game? This food is good.

These are your typical conversations in a social setting and I can't stand them. What are some ways to initially bring up deeper issues? I think some people want to talk about things that go beyond fluff, but how can you start these conversations? Thanks in advance for the feedback!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DaveakaRNG

If you want to talk about "Deeper issues" Then surely just begin a conversation about them, Be wary though, most consider such things sensitive subjects

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I don't mind small talk when it's relaxed, but I hate forced small talk. You know like those team building situations where you are practically supervised and the conversation is very false and guided.

The best thing I can suggest which is what I do, is to try and find something novel and interesting about the situation you are both in. Something unique that only you and this other person are experiencing at that time.

Although there can often be a lack of inspiration, particularly in the office environment.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Did you guys see that last meteor shower?
Did you guys see the latest movie on the federal reserve?
What do you guys think we will do when the economic collapse finally occurs?
Has anyone recently got a loan... I think there is something you need to know if you did... (federal reserve)
Have you guys seen the price of food or gas go up recently?

Thats it from me. It may have been better to tell us which issue in particular you wanted to talk to people about.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

I, too, think they are shallow tactics to starting a conversation. However, I realize this and pay it no mind. I think it can be best to steer the direction of communication when responding to any of these questions. For example:

Q: What do you do for a living?
A: Well, ever since being released on parole, I find it more difficult to find a job than I used to. So, I do a bunch of odd jobs that are closer to my heart, such as ...

Q: Some weather we are having, huh?
A: I agree. Ever since the government started cooking the atmosphere with chemtrails and HAARP, I find the weather most unpredictable, don't you?

Q: Did you catch the game last weekend?
A: I thought about it, but I have been ramping up my study on the upcoming pole shift and making the necessary adjustments to my safe room. However, you probably have already done that, haven't you?

You see, you can handle these all relatively easily. Just remember the "cause" and stick to your guns.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Did you know that the bleach used in common food reacts with residual protiens to create alloxan? Alloxan is a compound they give to labratory rats to induce type 2 diabetes.

This usually separates the open minded from the sheep in about 12 seconds.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
The perfect conversation starter

You: So is that Diet coke your drinking there?
Them: Yup, I'm on a diet
You: Enjoy your Aspartame induced brain tumour pal!!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Elzon

Are these actual questions you ask to people? If so, how does that work out for you? From my experience people are so clueless they wouldn't even know what the Federal Reserve is.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Realistically, whenever I approach these topics, people look at me like I have an extra eye. However, I still direct the conversation as much as possible to get to something deep. I can do trivial, however, I look at each engagement as an opportunity to learn something new ... kind of like here on ATS.

Actually, I don't really consider the topics presented as deep, only conspiratorial. Getting deep is trying to get the other person to give a description of the self behind the mask ... so to speak, allowing you into their secret world of thoughts, likes, dislikes, etc.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I suppose in answering my own question, I just ask questions. If someone talks about a football game, I'll ask them what they enjoy about football. If they bring up their job, I'll ask them what they value most about what their paycheck provides. I feel this is a good way to gauge where they're at intellectually, and may even provoke them to engage in deeper conversation topics.

new topics

top topics

join