It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A simple solution to the most likely form of "Internet Kill Switch".

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
While surfing around the 'net this morning, checking in on some of my favorite sites, I noticed something new on SurvivalBlog.com. They posted their IP address, and a link to a statement about Why this is important. This struck me as a brilliant idea, and I thought I would help spread the word.

The current U.S. administration has been talking a great deal about the idea of an "Internet Kill Switch". The most likely form in my opinion would be to shut down DNS. They wouldn't want to really "shut it down" because they need it too. They would just want to make it "not work" for the average citizen. For those of you who do not know, DNS stands for "Domain Name System". This is a massive, redundant set of parallel database servers that take in the common language "name" of a domain, like abovetopsecret.com and convert it into an IP or internet protocol address known as a "dotted quad". This set of numbers is the actual address that computers use to find each other. DNS was invented to make it easier for us daft humans to remember addresses. abovetopsecret.com is much easier to remember than 67.228.0.162 You can either "ping from command prompt" or use a "whois" service like NetworkSolutions, to find a "real", "dotted quad" address and make a note of it. That way if DNS was ever shut off, you could still get to your favorite or important sites to communicate.

Start your IP address file today. You never know when you may be glad you did...

Well folks... Any more suggestions?

edit on 13-2-2011 by mwc273 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mwc273

Please re-read DNS, NAT/PAT, TCP/IP.

Edit: Also look up static routing, dynamic routing, virtual circuits, packet switching networks

edit on 13/2/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Are you implying that a list of IPs is in all probability, useless? Just asking. I'm not a network engineer...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Well if the DNS is how they plan to take it down, here is a how-to on finding your website's I.P.

How to find a website's I.P.

Abovetopsecret.com came up as 67.228.0.162

Instructions below

Step 1: Navigate to START → Run...

Step 2: Enter "cmd" and press enter to open up the Command Prompt window

Step 3: Enter "ping", followed by the name of the website (e.g. documents and settings\user>ping wikihow.com)

Step 4: Take note of the results. The IP address will appear several times on the screen. IP addresses have four numbers, 0-255, separated by periods. This value can be used to bypass website blocks, create website blocks, and a lot more.

For the lazy webipaddress.net... Type it in and look it up

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Too bad that won't work on "black hole" routing.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Yes...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mwc273

Nope, I'm stating that due to the nature of TCP/IP and networking in general, a packet can take a different route to its destination and on it's way a multitude of different IP routers can be traversed. Just because a ping or trace route shows a different result, doesn't mean anything funny is going on..

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I don't think an internet killswitch will just shut down DNS because most internet 'attacks' are performed using IP addresses, avoiding DNS altogether. The internet killswitch will quite literally take every American offline at the ISP level.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Perhaps preparations could be made and plans published for an organized ad hoc wireless mixed mode network, with an ssid of ATS, on channel 6...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
It would have to be at the ISP level. But, short of the FCC raiding a switch site, and we are talking like 60 to 80 for most major cities and surrounding areas, I don't know if it really could happen.
You gotta look at who owns the telecom/internet companies in places like Egypt and Sudan and so on. It is the Govt that owns and runs them.

A very good reason not to have the Fed Govt involved with ownership.

join