It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Age of the Troll & Sensationalistic Thread Titles (ZOMG!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Upon strolling down the AboveTopSecret high-street you will pass many Amusements that cater to many needs.

Follow me if you will, on a quick tour around this most infamous place. A place full of many colourful characters

Coming up on the left you can see a not so rare specimen, infact, a specimen some would call vermin. I am of course talking about the dreaded Troll. Clogging up our beloved street with Lies, Spam and Petty Arguments. Enticing hate and distrust for the pleasures of their own amusement, The Troll is definitely not one of the most favourable of characters on ATS Street. They are easily distinguishable for a lot of ATS citizens but the latter get sucked into the trap and promote these useless trolls to the front stage.

Coming up on your right are the species I like to call the 'Failing Cynic'. This breed is well known for their lust of stars and appreciation. They try to get peoples attention by cracking inappropriate jokes which are rarely funny and can even start an avalanche of bad jokes which have the potential to derail a possibly very important and well written thread.

Now coming up into a nicer area of the neighbourhood you begin to see a lot of new arrivals. They seem quite lost, they don't know really know where they are going or what to do but they have something important. I am of course speaking about that great thirst for knowledge that drove most of us here. These newbies are usually quite polite and come to these side'boards' with good intentions. The problem is that a lot of them get easily led by the last two species I talked about and this just exacerbates things greatly.

The level of decorum and generally politeness has really plummeted over the past couple of years

Shop Signs and Advertisements everywhere... DEATH, SCANDAL CONSPIRACY AND MORE DEATH.

ITS THE END OF THE WORLD ZOMG !>?!>?>?!>>?!!!?!!>

After being enticed into these quite dramatic looking shops you start to realise that most of the adverts were in fact.. lies.

This town aint what it used to be!

edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

You have a very good point! However i am so Gobsmacked at the sheer God-like animation
in your avatar that i feel i have no other task in the world right now rather than De-railing this thread by Complimenting on how brilliant it actually is

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Wrong thread
edit on 13/2/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Pics or it didn't happen

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Hear,hear ,nice avatar,get that from madness combat?Sorry man trolls will be trolls.From what I can see not much gets done about them until the damage is done.Nothing against the mods but jeez sometimes it seems they look the other way for a while before they act.

Um about yer avatar ....how come the black guy loses?just saying
edit on 2/13/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
There is so much truth in your post that i must comment. i agree with the Troll and Cynic personas but there are a few other less noticed but still important "types" that were overlooked.
1st is the," I dont want this crazy argument i am making to go away" people. You have seen these, the ones that keep going on and on in a thread with no NEW thought just general sniping and finger pointing. perhaps they can be classified in with the cynics but i believe they are their own special sub species.
2nd is the 1 post, no info, lounge lizards that only pipe in with some kind of borrowed rhetoric or semi philosophical statement and then disappear never to be heard from again. I am NOT against 1post commentary but at least add something to a thread.

All in all it seems that our beloved town is suffering from the same angst that the whole of the world is experiencing.

But I will always LOVE our little Village.

Free Yer Mind- But not so much that your brain falls out.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
reply to post by TedHodgson

Um about yer avatar ....how come the black guy loses?just saying
edit on 2/13/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

Dunno mate I didn't make it myself.

In a perfect world I would like to assume that the colour of the guy who loses is merely to do with cosmetics

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Sensationalism and media have been intertwined since before the printing press was even developed.

Go to your local library, look through the microfilm of years past newspaper headline clippings.

Sensationalism has always been king. Since day one.

That's human nature. We are fickle and seek excitement.

I do agree though, that the human race needs to grow the hell up and get smart and start looking for the truly important stories not the most hyped.

The most hyped is rarely even in the top 20 list of most important issues.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Nuff said

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
You do know that you started 7 threads in the last 4 days, right? So whos trolling now?

Why talk about the situation? Its a part of the internet society. People should stop pretending they are always better than others, while posting on the internets.. You are all the same, until you provide some awesome material. Thats the way it is.

Enjoy
edit on 13-2-2011 by Myendica because: Oh, whats this

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
You do know that you started 7 threads in the last 4 days, right? So whos trolling now?

Why talk about the situation? Its a part of the internet society. People should stop pretending they are always better than others, while posting on the internets.. You are all the same, until you provide some awesome material. Thats the way it is.

Enjoy
edit on 13-2-2011 by Myendica because: Oh, whats this

I provided a suggestion in that thread before the joke.

I go for months without posting a single thread and then post a few in quick succession.

You are nitpicking and trolling my thread KTHNXBAI

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Dont worry the same user normally attempts the same on my threads/Posts, Normally to no avail

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who cares if the OP is been just a Tiny bit hypocritical, He has a fair point.
Essentially just as the world changes ATS will also, Some past users
have a certain sense of Nostalgia because of this but i dont think thats ever changed
(As Hefficide mentioned in an earlier thread)
But still discussion of Valid and interesting subjects prevails

new topics

top topics

join