It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crows are probably smarter than you think... "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I was watching the video that ISis12RA12ELohim posted last night regarding the highly disorganized flocking of crows. In a related video, picked for me by youtube, I was stunned to see the following video.

If you fast forward to around 1:09 and wait a few seconds you will notice that the crows have taken a keen interest in the lighter colored cat. They proceed to pick on the cat and seemingly push it to invade the space of the defending darker colored cat. My guess, is in hopes of a tasty meal of one of them later on.

Alternate link to video: www.youtube.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> www.youtube.com...

I think you will be amused as I was. The audio track is fitting indeed.

edit on 13-2-2011 by Atlantican because: typo!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I've read that you can teach a crow to talk just like a parrot but I've not personally seen this.
My dad use to have a pet one as a child and it would fly through neighbor windows and steal items from their rooms like watches and such and bring them to him. He then would have to find out who the items belonged to. Well someone didn't like that idea of a thieving crow and after catching it in their room they killed it. It was Nevermore.
So yes they are smarter than we give them credit for.
edit on 13-2-2011 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
the audio was amazing!!! matched perfectly!!!
very strange occurance

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Clearly those are house cats if they were barn cats or feral those birds would be lunch .

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Allegedly you can teach a crow to talk after slitting its toungue like a snakes. I have never witnessed this but have heard it from a few different sources

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
It blew my mind (house cat or feral) to see that the crows were obviously using a strategy that depended on another species behavior being somewhat predictable and of use.

It's either that or this is a complete fluke.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

Really cool video. Very strange. I cheered for the white cat he put up a good fight. Not to fair getting jumped by two birds and a fellow cat. you have to respect he stood his ground well. If the birds did that to my cat i would have pulled out my pellet gun and made it a fair fight. But my cat is damn crazy he has killed squirrels and not just small ones so i doubt some crow would have messed with him
edit on 13-2-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

I saw a crow confronting a cat about a year ago in a large subburban lot. I was driving by and didn't have much of a chance see exactly what was transpiring. However, since then I've watched the crows that come occassionally into my yard when the squirrels are present also. At first, I assumed that the crows came around because the squirrel was out and that was a signal to them that the territory was clear. But in a couple of instances I've been able to study, I see that the crows wait for a squirrel to start chewing on an acorn and then rush him and cause him to drop the acorn. Squirrel, zero, crow one.

Crows are big on antagonizing their enemies. Owls and hawks are their usual victims to trouble. They spot one, call others and bother the victim until it takes wing and flies away. I have seen that happen many times. Actually, that is the way crow hunters use to call crows in, by giving an alarm cry to call others in for the fun.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I have just uploaded the whole film on my website,the website has only been started over the last few weeks so i would be grateful for any input, feel free to have a look and hopefully you will find it interesting. My aim is to try to collate as much interesting videos which will ask the most important questions. We are living in such an amazing time.
My website is www.globalconspiracy.co.uk
I would be interested in any views.

www.globalconspiracy.co.uk

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I have seen some interesting behavior by crows. I have heard that you will rarely see a crow by itself, there will usually be another one nearby acting as lookout. If a pair does go out, and one dies, the other crows will kill the surviving crow if he returns to the flock alone.

There was a sick or injured crow in my back yard, walking around, flapping its wings now and then and hopping. It could not take flight though. While I was watching it wander about, more and more crows showed up. My trees were full of them, watching this crow.

I put a milk crate over the wandering crow, to see how the others would react. They went crazy! They all started screeching and ripping off pieces of the trees they were on, dropping the small branches to the ground. The best theory I have heard, is that these crows knew the sick/injured bird would be dying, and got pissed off when I took away their abillity to eat their future meal.

I removed the milk crate and they stopped freaking out. I left after that, and I have no idea what happened to the dying crow.

---

Another time I saw a couple crows intimidating a squirrel. They got it to run out to the middle of the street - it nearly got hit by a car - nearly became a meal for those crows.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Even more amazing is that Crows use tools!
This one even bends a bit of wire into the shape of a hook

In the wild crows will make levers out of small twigs and use them to lever grubs out of the bark of trees

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Wow lol, that's wicked! I always believed animals are very intelligent, sure they cant build things like sky scrapers but they know things we don't I'm sure. Who would of thought, bully crows lol. I think animals believe it or not are like us in many many ways, I have a cat and I don't just have a pet, I have a best friend and an other species I can observe and from what I have observed they (animals) are more like us then we could ever imagine. They have moods, personality, sad days, happy days, they get angry or hurt by you, they get jealous etc but most important of all, is that they continue to learn by actually observing us as well.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
There's so many anecdotal stories of crows using their brains in ways well beyond evolutionary adaptation. Here's one from my family: My grandfather told me that crows (at least where we were) would recognize a rifle in a person's hands, and flee long before you could line up a shot. He also said if you grab a branch and hold it like a rifle, they aren't fooled.

Taunting the cat fight, that really shows us something unique: These crows have learned to differentiate between threatening and nonthreatening predator species...That is learned behavior, plain and simple. Then the act of pitting these two cats against each other requires one of two motives: A) Cruelty, or at least a sense of "getting even" or B) Following a thought process that creates a desired result (fresh kill) and formulating a multi-step plan to get that fresh kill. I'd love to know if they happened upon the scene of two cats in a standoff, or they herded the white cat completely into the conflict. That would add even more depth to their thinking!

Either way, it looks like we have the next candidate for 'head species' after we blow ourselves to smithereens!

lh4.ggpht.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Magpies (a kind of crow) are the local bovver boys where I am and I have seen them mercilessly taunt a fox this way, looking as if they are trying to bite it's tail. I got the impression they were doing it because they enjoyed it, and they certainly like to bully other birds of their perches, as if for fun. One tried to hassle a woodpigeon the other day and seemed most put out when it stood it's ground.

I share my life and my home with a couple of african grey parrots. They are far from friends and really jealous of each other in a tragically human fashion. If one has a particular food/toy the other one starts looking for hers and will glare at me and sulk if they don't get one, and they know how to wind each other up - and me come to that.
They both talk, often using words and phrases apropriately, for example - the other morning I had an early start for work. As I crept downstairs, one piped up from a covered cage (only time they are in them) - 'Morning - cup of tea', and as I left for work 'bye bye for now'.

To call someone a 'bird brain' implying stupidity is........stupid!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Can't make this up:

news.opb.org...

We’ve all heard now about how a team of U.S. Navy Seals took down Osama bin Laden. But the decade-long hunt for the terrorist leader also got some help from an unlikely partner connected to the University of Washington.

John Marzluff: “One of the experimental branches of research that was used to try to find him was to have crows or ravens of the local area trained to identify his face.”

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I've seen videos of them dropping nuts on the road for cars to run over and break the shell. Clever animals.

Got to give them credit.
edit on 9-5-2011 by ghaleon12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Sadistic crows! I'll have to save this video for the next time someone spouts off their ridiculous "humans are evil and animals are wonderful" diatribe hehe.

By the way, did anyone else get reminded of The Matrix watching those cats fight? Those guys were flying around doing flips and all sorts of crazy kung-fu moves! Maybe the black cat was agent smith.

new topics

top topics

join