It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Internet censorship fight falling short: report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

US Internet censorship fight falling short: report

www.rawstory.com

WASHINGTON — State Department efforts to combat Internet censorship in China and other countries have fallen short and funding for the drive should be shifted to another US agency, a Senate committee report says.

The Senate Foreign Relations Committee report sharply criticizes the State Department for being slow in spending money allocated by Congress for Internet Censorship Circumvention Technology (ICCT).

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Another one to keep a close eye on folks, as this may mean that Big Brother might switch over to another Internet-manipulation group with more powers to affect what goes on not only on the international scale, but I think it would be safe to assume the domestic one as well.

Looks like things are cointinually being shifted, and there sort of is a cyber-chess game being played by differing national governments.

Whether these moves are actually about OVERCOMING censorship, or actually choosing WHAT is censored, and what is not, remains to be seen imho...

One thing that appears to be happening though, is that big brother seems to be becoming increasingly more involved with the internet and cyber-happenings in recent times, likely because they see it as the number one modality of communication and power amongst the masses.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 13-2-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: typo

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
It is hard to bombard the psyche with subliminal messages and false capitalistic ideals if the internet is censored.

Multi-nationals want the Chinese to buy in like India has.

The western countries have had full market penetration and now the maximum profit markets are India and China.

The world is a stage, life is the play, consumers are the viewers and corporations own the the theaters, movies, land, along with the concessions sold at the stands.

Peace

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
These people are hillarious!
They are so afraid of a free and uncensored internet in america, because they are using the same thing to destabilise other countries!
they fight for freedom in other nations internet, but want to have the kill switch and oversight of every post in america!
HYPOCRITES ALL plain for everyone to see.....

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I came across something quite staggering the other day. Did you know that in the US, the Department for Homeland Security has donned the mantle and stepped up to the plate, in the war to 'prevent free distribution of paid-for sporting events coverage'..?

Now is it just me, or does it seem more like they might be practicing their 'takedown' procedures against soft targets like ROJA DIRECTA, which provide links to independently streamed (often illegal) broadcasts of sporting events that people may not have access to (even on paid channels) in their own country? I call them 'soft targets', because we all know that what these sites do is against copyright and distribution law. However, one might be forgiven for thinking that the Department for Homeland Security, and ICE (immigration, customs and excise) should be out capturing terrorists...

Domain seized by Department of Homeland Security, and ICE; from Domain Tools.com

Here's an article from CrunchGear.com:

Sports Streaming Sites, Including Roja Directa & Atdhe, Being Taken Down En Masse

As I say - I believe such soft targets are merely practice, and that soon we'll see many more sites being 'seized'. In the UK there's the Advertising Standards Agency, and their plans to regulate the advertising content of sites (I think just the '.co.uk' ones) from March this year, essentially like a Trading Standards group for the interweb.

Over here, that would give anyone with an agenda good cause to take down a lot of sites... How many times have you seen scam adverts littering websites promoting alternative viewpoints like ATS?

EG - "One weird secret of white teeth'... 'Cho Yung Foo diet; a scam? NO! (yes)'... and the old favourite: 'Single Google Mum earns a $$$$gazillion dollars working from home' (etc)...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
They're going to be talking out of two sides of their mouth simultaneously:

Foreign internet needs LESS regulation.

BUT...

Domestic internet needs MORE regulation.

These are the kinds of scenarios that lead countries to popular uprisings. You allegedly fight for the freedom of other countries, but don't offer your own citizens the same privilege. Historically, that doesn't go down very well with the people. Especially when we're footing the bill for all these wars and other world-political campaigns.

top topics

join