It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Visualizing Power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Ok, to begin, I couldn't think of a better place to post this, so the Gray Area seemed to be my best bet. Ever since I was little, I've been able to visualize stronger than anyone else I know. The only person as of yet that I've found any comparison to is my father, who worked as an engineer, physicist, and programmer for the US government in his earlier years. The main purpose of this thread is to see how common it is to be able to visualize in the manner that I do. I will spend the rest of this post describing these visualizations.

----------------

When I think of anything, recall any information, it appears in my mind as an image. I can type very fast because I can see the words forming in my mind as I speak them in the voice that is in the mind. In IQ tests, there would always be a question that involved knowing which unfolded box would create a box with no overlapping sides. I would be able to imagine this box in my mind, then visually fold each side over and see which fit best. When I got one that fit properly, that was my answer. Over time I learned tricks that were quicker than completely visualizing it, because there are patterns to what shapes can make a box, but that's mostly unrelated to the subject at hand.

I can imagine just about anything that I have ever seen. For example, right now I am imagining a wooden stool with a red fabric seat, a few spots on it. I can visualize this stool in a blank environment within my mind, spin it around, look underneath it and see the slightly torn paper label, the dirty feet, etc. I can then place the stool in an environment, on a tiled floor, next to a counter and dishwasher, sink, etc. I can visualize this entire room without even trying. I can even go so far as to visualize the smells, textures, and lighting, creating just about an entire world within my mind.

I meditated at one point in my life, in which a goal was to visit an inner realm in which you create the world around you. I would begin with the grass at my feet, the earth cool, but firm. The wind, the trees in the distance, and I would change my form to a tiger, basing all of my feelings and reactions on that of my cat, being able to remember the slight ways she would twitch or hear things, feel things and move. I could visualize this and literally feel like an entirely different creature.

Now, is this a unique power of visualization and imagination on my part, or is it something more people can do?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
interesting ability....can you do this with future events

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Sounds quite unique to me....seems like it could be lucid dreaming, something I'm unable to do. I'm sure someone here will have their personal accounts of similar experiences.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
No not everyone can do it. Yes the exercises you describe will help develop this ability. Yes this ability is often correlated with a higher IQ, or at least helps with skills that IQ tests measure. And yes it is useful in other areas because as you get older and have knowledge of wider data sets you can start to project possibilities into the future. Or you might just keep on with images in which case you can use this skill as an artist, or a police detective, or intelligence analyst.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

I can do something similiar. Let me ask you this: is it sort of like what you can do with a 3D computer modeling program? I started using a program like that for school and then i was like "Why am i using this if i can do this in my head?" I thought everybody could do that, but apparently not.

Also, can you visualize an environment (ie. your workplace) and take a tour of it in your mind? That can be useful/fun too. What i like to do is to create a new environment by piecing together parts of old environments.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

No, apparently not everyone can do it, which never ceases to amaze me becaus it comes extremely easily to me.
But nobody I've ever met (and I've met a lot of people around the world) comes even close to a cousin of mine. She has the ability of creating - not recreating - whatever. I mean, whatever - sights, sounds, smells.... you name it. She can make and retain entire movies in her mind, which comes handy because she often works for the industry.
What I find interesting is that her ability to create everything and anything in her mind's eye seems to be correlative to her (relative) inability ro re-create actual sights, including the faces she knows best.
Somebody mentioned IQ: well, hers is definitely so much above the average that it had many "experts" befuddled since the day she was born (literally).

But I didn't come here to talk about myself or her. Since you seem interested in other people's ability to visualize, I think you should google up Tesla + power of visualization.

Now there was a man that makes even my cousin pale with envy!

Nobody but nobody could visualize like this man could. Read about it; it's fascinating.

P.S.
Here'sa a good text on Tesla's visualization power:
www.ee.uwa.edu.au...

edit on 13-2-2011 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
reply to post by Varemia

I can do something similiar. Let me ask you this: is it sort of like what you can do with a 3D computer modeling program? I started using a program like that for school and then i was like "Why am i using this if i can do this in my head?" I thought everybody could do that, but apparently not.

Also, can you visualize an environment (ie. your workplace) and take a tour of it in your mind? That can be useful/fun too. What i like to do is to create a new environment by piecing together parts of old environments.

Exactly such. When I was younger I found it fun to create a black box with neon green grid environment because I felt like I was creating virtual images in my mind.

Originally posted by AdAstra
reply to post by Varemia

No, apparently not everyone can do it, which never ceases to amaze me becaus it comes extremely easily to me.
But nobody I've ever met (and I've met a lot of people around the world) comes even close to a cousin of mine. She has the ability of creating - not recreating - whatever. I mean, whatever - sights, sounds, smells.... you name it. She can make and retain entire movies in her mind, which comes handy because she often works for the industry.
What I find interesting is that her ability to create everything and anything in her mind's eye seems to be correlative to her (relative) inability ro re-create actual sights, including the faces she knows best.
Somebody mentioned IQ: well, hers is definitely so much above the average that it had many "experts" befuddled since the day she was born (literally).

But I didn't come here to talk about myself or her. Since you seem interested in other people's ability to visualize, I think you should google up Tesla + power of visualization.

Now there was a man that makes even my cousin pale with envy!

Nobody but nobody could visualize like this man could. Read about it; it's fascinating.

P.S.
Here'sa a good text on Tesla's visualization power:
www.ee.uwa.edu.au...

edit on 13-2-2011 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

I used to re-watch movies in my mind during boring camping trips when I was little, so I definitely understand that. As for Tesla, that's very interesting! I certainly have never been able to memorize entire books word for word, but I feel that I can compare in terms of visualizations. It reminds me that I have been thinking of an energy source that does not use electricity to generate force. I know everyone is trying to convert all these other already present energies into heat and electricity, but it seems to me that we need to look into ways to move things in a less primitive fashion, though I haven't quite figured it out yet.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I'm the same without any distractions, my typing I can do fast whether there's a distraction there or not and it tends to come out free form, such as typing as soon as the words are half formed in my mind without even thinking about it and still making as much sense if not more than if I really put thought into what I wished to say. I've done it right now in fact.

Would it help with future events as someone asked? Probably not, it's more about using a sort of logical thinking to aid in modern day rather than being able to see visions of the future. For example, engineering, design, anything creative is useful with this kind of "ability" as some might call it.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by curious7

Yeah, it's like you have a virtual word processor in your head. You can sort of "type up" what you want to say in your head and then just transfer it to the computer. I do that a lot, though it's harder if it's more than several sentences. usually i just have an idea of what i want to say and in what paragraph and then just transfer it/fill it in.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
After reading up on that Tesla page, I've found that I can indeed visualize things similarly to described. I can and do project my visualizations onto what I can see normally. It's making me consider changing my major to something that I can apply this better to.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

Welcome - I thought it was normal as well until my teens when my friends thought I was crazy ! I tried to kind of suppress it, but it was useless, I could not switch it off !.... Over the years, I started to work with it and It led me to develop a high degree of intuition for just about everything including lucid dreams, remote viewing, out of body experiences, past life events & an acute 6th sense . Not saying it's gonna happen to you like this, but it will develop further, just go with the flow and enjoy

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Hmm, I can write entire multi page things with such a thing. Visually, like I said, I'm similar to the OP as long as I have no distractions and I just wonder if more people have this and what it could be useful for on this world

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by highseer
reply to post by Varemia

Welcome - I thought it was normal as well until my teens when my friends thought I was crazy ! I tried to kind of suppress it, but it was useless, I could not switch it off !.... Over the years, I started to work with it and It led me to develop a high degree of intuition for just about everything including lucid dreams, remote viewing, out of body experiences, past life events & an acute 6th sense . Not saying it's gonna happen to you like this, but it will develop further, just go with the flow and enjoy

Come and gone, heh. I've been experimenting with spirituality for some time, and I have actually had one event in which I dreamed a moment 2 months into the future with someone I had not met in a place I'd never been. I'm still scratching my head over how it could make sense.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

Yep I do this too. When I take a test, or when I am remembering a certian procedure for my job (Air Traffic Control) I read it from the page of the reference.

I.E. If I want to remember the crossing altitude of a specific initial approach fix or the name of the fix, I bring up the approach plate in my mind, visualize it and read the information off of the plate.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

You are young and will find and develop your spiritual way at the right time at a speed that is appropriate for you. Keep thinking positive thoughts, very difficult these days with the high pressure media tactics.

Namaste

new topics

top topics

join