It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI can obtain phone records without oversight, Justice Dept memo claims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

FBI can obtain phone records without oversight, Justice Dept memo claims

www.rawstory.com

"[The Office of Legal Counsel] agreed with the FBI that under certain circumstances (word or words redacted) allows the FBI to ask for and obtain these records on a voluntary basis from the providers, without legal process or a qualifying emergency," the Justice Department's inspector general said in a recent report by McClatchy Newspapers.

The claim put forth in the document released to McClatchy seemed to indicate that the Obama administration has continued the previous administration's policies.

The Bush administration maintained that the FBI needed such policing powers in order t
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Meet the new bosses...EXACTLY the same as the old bosses.

But then again, anyone who's been paying an IOTA of attention since the "Bush III" cabinet has taken hold has already been made painfully aware of that at every opportunity.

"Can we continue to spy on every american without any court oversight? Well YES WE CAN."

"Can we refuse to hand over said memos okaying and continuing on these same criminal impositions towards the populace? YES WE CAN."

More hope, change and transparency you can all believe in people.

But it's "keeping us all safe from the terrorists", right? lol

What a joke.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 13-2-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Maybe Senator Ron Wyden's legislation will make some headway. Don't hold your breath, though, right?

Many people warned of this when the Patriot Act reared its ugly head—once you head down these paths, there's really no going back, no matter who's in office or in charge. Unfortunately that seems to be the case.

edit on 2/13/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Yet another good find DD. I absolutely agree, there is no measurable difference in the "homeland security arena" between bush II and our new bush III. Most likely bush IV will continue to implement and strengthen these policies until our freedoms are completely strangled and our chains are fully forged.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Well the Americans should take a lesson from the guts and determination of the Egyptians who showed us all that we are only 18 days from REAL change you can believe in, if you have the spirit to actually make it happen.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Fbi are like mi5 in uk, absolute beyond the law.

Fbi are worldwide now due to patriot act.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
The Office of Legal Counsel] agreed with the FBI that under certain circumstances (word or words redacted) allows the FBI to ask for and obtain these records on a voluntary basis from the providers, without legal process or a qualifying emergency," the Justice Department's inspector general said in a recent report by McClatchy Newspapers.

The claim put forth in the document released to McClatchy seemed to indicate that the Obama administration has continued the previous administration's policies.

I think the most important piec of this quote is staring us right in the face and we are missing it by trying to politicize the issue.

obtain ...records on a voluntary basis from the providers

The records of anything we do with an agreement from a provider is the property of said provider. They can do what they wish to with that property as long as it is on a voluntary basis. The FBI is not compulsing these records, they are being provided voluntarily by the phone service providers.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

Not exactly the entire story. Check out some of the links in this thread. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I am aware of the rest of the story here, but it dosnt not change the voluntary clause here.

In 2008, Congress amended Carter's original 1978 bill. It passed by more than a 2/3 vote in both houses of Congress, despite Dodd's filibuster and derailment attempts.

Carriers are not required to comply with FBI requests but unfortunately they do, I am not happy about it either, just explaining it how it is. This is another fail by the Obama administration to provide the change that they were entrusted with. The American people were and still are not happy about this provision, and Obama was put into office with the confidence that he would change such things. I think we are all still waiting to see the change.

DD was right when he quoted the Who above. The new bosses are always the same as the old bosses, and always will. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, even here in the USA.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

Heh, yep...That song is hauntingly accurate over the decades, and moreso now than ever.

And your point is a good one here---The phone networks are complicit in this if they go along with it.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Malcram

Well the Americans should take a lesson from the guts and determination of the Egyptians who showed us all that we are only 18 days from REAL change you can believe in, if you have the spirit to actually make it happen.

Yes indeed, martial law, the constitution on hold, military Generals in charge of everything, the economy flipped upside down. Yes that's REAL change alright.

I'm all for change, and want it to happen. But I don't like the idead of the gov. disbanding and leaving Mussolini types in charge.

When the sheeple revolt, are they going to have a big Ram to step in and fill the void???

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 1SawSomeThings

When the sheeple revolt, are they going to have a big Ram to step in and fill the void???

More to the point is the BIG WOLF masquerading as a ram goading the sheep so he CAN step into the void.

The more I read the more this seems to be the case.

ON TOPIC:
Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

It seems to me pretty obvious that if in 1791 they were talking about papers, and effects they MEANT everything else too. Papers also means letters sent and recieved as in COMMUNICATIONS between two parties. If you need those are protected against unreasonable searches and seizures then the modern equivalent, phone calls, cell phone calls e-mails... stuff an ordinary person would EXPECT to be private, would also be protected.

There is even a supreme Court ruling to that effect. A farmers land can be searched without a warrant because you would not expect it to be "secure" like you would you home. (I disagree with the reasoning but that was the ruling)
edit on 13-2-2011 by crimvelvet because: I wish I could spell

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I'd be interested to know exactly what the redacted word/words were. "Patriot Act"? "Executive Order". Some other thingy we've never heard of?

new topics

top topics

join