It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When is WHITE history month?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
Basically, white people are the ones most prone to talk about glossing over and ignoring racial differences, because it's never really mattered to whites in America. It's easy to ignore your background when you've never had to pay any price for looking the way you look, and this leads to a sort of cultural blindness, where white people figure that everyone should be just like them (which is, as I'm sure you can tell, ironic as hell.)

Nicely put. I agree.

And as regards Morgan Freeman and his disdain for Black History Month, it's easy for him to discount it. To be fair, it's probably been a long time since he's felt the sting of discrimination or any disadvantage because of his skin color. He's a well-respected and sought-after Hollywood actor.

I agree with him in theory. I'd LOVE it if everyone felt that they were equally recognized and appreciated for who they are, but the fact is there are lots of black people (and others) who face bigotry and discrimination every day of their lives. BECAUSE they're black. Is it so terrible to have a month to remind everyone of the great black people in history who have been left out of the history books over the years?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
The reason why there is a black history month,,
OFF-SITE-LINK

edit on 13-2-2011 by lance_covel because: Forum Rules

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
White History Month runs from January 1st through December 31st.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I do not know if this has been said before in this thread (sorry that i did not read every post) but i would like to get an important message across to some non-white folks who think that all whites are top dogs of history and always have been:

How is the white factory worker of some meatpacking plant in Michigan a top dog ?
How ist the white drafted soldier, who got his hand ripped off in some war, a top dog ?
How is an unemployed white guy in lets say France a top dog ?
How is your white coworker on your job today a top dog ?

What i try to say is the following :

In this generation today we have more important problems to solve together (by "we" i mean us poor unwashed masses that make up 90% of the population) , than get caught up in this divide and conquer b.s. that is brought to us by the "elite". If we do not want to mix with each other (highly possible), then we should at least be allied with each other, which means that we have to fight together against our downfall.

By the way i am a young white guy and i am not going to apologize for crimes that have been committed by some old white guys many, many years ago. And if you have a problem with that --- haters are going to hate...

best regards

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Rhetorical question.

Rhetorical question.

Rhetorical question.

Rhetorical question.

So? Intentionally blend them back in. *shrugs

edit on 2/13/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
the whole education system in europe; and i can only assume in america also is built upon white theorists, historians, scientist and psychologists.
As children; regardless of colour or culture we are all programmed with this information. white people will rarely feel the need to demand for heritage information, or historical/famous person to identitfy with, as it is readily available.

but to grow from a child to adult as a person of colour and different cultural influences, in a caucasian world, can leave many searching for identity, hence why such events come into existence...

imagine yourself growing in a place where white is the minority, all members of power and authority are black. where the majority of top career positions are occupied by blacks, apart for the token white, all things you learn are of african origin and the way they are expressed is not your mothers tongue... you may also cry out for a little of your innate culture...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
well i do think we have enough white history...this was a white country mostly though so it makes sense except for the indians and the purchased blacks who were sold by their own people....we should have indian history month before black history month i think...they want black history...go to Africa....god forbid there was a WET... there would be extreme criticism....the latest which bothers me is BlackPeopleMeet dot com....a place for nice blacks to meet other nice blacks....match.com eharmony and the endless others arent enough for them...they have to have some fubu website for themselves for us by us

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I don't know, however, 'White' is a world's minority, when do whites get respect?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by tom goose

Silly,every month is white history month..except the 1 month that's black history month.

The question should be..why do only the blacks get a history month?

I am kidding of course.It's like..why isn't there a straight pride parade??I want my parade!!

It's complainable.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Pawel420nj

why does it bother you that they have their own dating site... if you're not into black men/women then why should it bother you.. just don't look on the site!!1

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Ask your middle school teacher.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DevilJin

If it is black American History then why do I always see stickers of the African continent or African American this and that. I don't recall seeing Black American anything.

My grandparents were immigrant who came here legally from europe and they (both sets) assimilated to american lifestyle to include learning the language (i.e. English) and refused to speak their native tongue for they were in a new country. Yet I do not see a German or Polish history month or even a week, let alone any other nationality or color. I don't consider myself racist as I have freinds of many races and colors and get along with anyone who is sensable to reason with. however what is touted by SOME not all blacks and latinos (as these are the two who cry the most) or any other race is why we still have racism in this country and all over the world. Most if not all of the atrocities that are rehashed happened long before any of this generation were born. If you are so proud of your heritage move back to your ancestral home, there is nothing stopping anyone from leaving this country.

Is this country perfect? not by any means what-so-ever. I am a proud AMERICAN not a proud german/polish/american. I was born here and am glad for it.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pawel420nj
well i do think we have enough white history...this was a white country mostly though so it makes sense except for the indians and the purchased blacks who were sold by their own people....we should have indian history month before black history month i think...they want black history...go to Africa....god forbid there was a WET... there would be extreme criticism....the latest which bothers me is BlackPeopleMeet dot com....a place for nice blacks to meet other nice blacks....match.com eharmony and the endless others arent enough for them...they have to have some fubu website for themselves for us by us

As a side note "WET" has been around for years, it just didnt have that name. As for Blackpeoplemeet.com, it makes sense to me. If I want a Ford vehicle, I would go to a Ford dealership.
As much as people find black history month irritating, imagine having it for 12 months of the year. Blacks, after all, did learn only what was taught for a long time. Also, even at this late age in my life, each year around this time I learn something that I didnt know before.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Well I can clearly see the racists in this thread. The question should be "Why are a couple of white people jealous of black history month?"

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminateme
Is this country perfect? not by any means what-so-ever. I am a proud AMERICAN not a proud german/polish/american. I was born here and am glad for it.

Stand up and be counted.

I'm a proud North American living in Canada with roots all over this lovely planet.

Hey, I'm a proud Earthan!!! Why be restricted by false borders and walls?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

While I may be risking sounding like a bigot, I can't help but notice that events like this are what breed racism. to even acknowledge the separation seems to be racist.

How does recognizing what White people did to Black people breed racism?

Human history is human history. I don't seem to be alone on this. If you google white history month the question seems to get asked a lot. And I am surprised to hear so many views from that search that thinks that ALL white people have had a comfortable history surrounded by servants and silk. that is BS!!

The question as to when white history month will be?
Yes, I've seen that question asked a lot myself.
The answer is that every month that isn't Black history month....is White history month.
(in the USA)

I wouldn't say ALL White people have had a comfortable history, but do tell.....
When was the last time you were taken from your homes and families, shipped halfway across the world, and forced into slavery?

When was the last time a place refused you service for your skin color?
(this still happens in some parts of the south and rural north)

My age group never did anything to offend other races, we embraced it as far as i can tell. *SNIP* Same goes with sushi, that stuff isn't even a proper meal from what i was taught about food groups, but i supported it. I hate currie, but i will still suffer a plate of butter chicken cause that *SNIP* is good.

Okay, so you never did anything offensive.
Did you give them their historical due?
Do you live on land that was formerly the home of Native Americans?

You supporting a certain foods doesn't prove you are more or less racist in any way.

Why do i see so many young people from other races act like they need to be different from white people? What do white people DO that is so white? Modernized? that is white? well there were times that wasn't so, so i would say we have just as much to celebrate but are too scared to because it might offend other races

And now the racist foot drops.

People from other races don't want to act White because.....wait for it......they are not White.
Why do think your race is something that everyone should aspire to be like?
Sounds like White Supremacy talk to me.

The rest is nonsense. No on is stopping you from celebrating being White.

Thing is a celebration of being White, must also be a celebration of your history. Don't forget to include the Black Slavery, and genocide of the Natives.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

When is white history month you ask??? Every other month besides February

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
LOL. Didn't you know that whites, especially white males are the epitome of evil and all that is wrong with the world? Political correctness shows that interest in white history means that you are a racist mean spirited bigot. I mean why else would michelle obama be ashamed of this country right up until her husband was elected president? Certainly she knows better than any dirty nasty white man does. Just for future reference, you should know that the only permissible discrimination is against straight white males. [/sarcasm]

Ok...I can understand the resentment in theory but if you look at the facts, white men represent the vast majority of the wealthy elite in the United states, so maybe people just feel the need to focus on minority cultures in order to feel empowered, because if there's anyone that ain't got no real power...u know. Keep in mind also you live in a country that has always been predominantly "white" so when history is taught to us, are we not learning "white" history? So....I think every month is white history month. Celebrating white history month would be quite redundant IMO. May as well have a national air-breathing month. And take it straight from this straight, young, non-white female, I don't discriminate against dirty nasty white men ;-)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
In Australia a lot of immigrant groups have parades and celebrate their culture,they wave their former country's flags and wear traditional clothes ,The Australian taxpayer usually foots the bill,most people are cool with that,

We also have Australia Day,it celebrates the landing of the first fleet on 26th Jan 1788,and is generally a white Aussie celebration, Lots of Aussie flags,BBQ's and getting drunk,Funnily enough a lot of immigrants class Australia Day as a racist celebration ,It's ok for them to celebrate a country they left because it was crap,but how dare Aussie's celebrate our history and culture,what a joke,

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byteman
Thing is a celebration of being White, must also be a celebration of your history. Don't forget to include the Black Slavery, and genocide of the Natives.

That sounds pretty racist to me. You think every white person had slaves? No, it was rich people that could afford such things. Most of us come from normal and even poor people. Our ancestors did not have slaves. A lot of our ancestors immigrated here a long time after the genocide of the natives. That crap has nothing to do with most white people's history.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join