It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When is WHITE history month?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Page 14 or so...

I see the usual bastards still like to blame white man for the god damned crap of the current world.

Groovy, I will do the same to the usual people who submit to being garbage in life under the guise of this hate.

Well done, quid pro quo..

Take that as you want.. I will not argue it.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by tom goose

every month is white history month... even on black history month...

Why would there ever be a white history month dude? What hardships did we overcome?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Odessy

I'm not really sure if you have ever read any history, but white people certainly have had to overcome hardships. Maybe not in the sense of being oppressed by another race of people but there have been plenty of hardships.

I don't think it is the intention of the OP to argue for White History Month, but to bring up the point why is it ok for other races to have special recognition etc. BET, Black History Month, United Negro College Fund, Blacknews.com, etc. For example, if some billionaire started WET (white entertainment television) do you think there would be an outcry from the NAACP? I think what the OP is saying is that if we really want to end racism we need to level the playing field, regardless of what happened in our past.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

Thanks for posting the Morgan Freeman Video Morgan nails it

now why does Myron Wallace ( Wallechinsky,) the Journalist considers Jews are a Race

ahh there white ! right ! or they're something other than white !

why did Wallace consider a Culture as a Race...

Here watch the video of the BHM Morgan Freeman Remix! until it sinks in

Remix: Morgan Freeman on Race and Black History Month

edit on 14-2-2011 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

i heard somwhere that caucasian history month will be every Septober ( on the cusps of Sept & Oct)

just can't link the info.... sorry

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I think Morgan Freeman said it best in his 60 Minutes interview - "Black history is American history."
I totally agree! Tried to embed, but it would nto work, so here's the link :Morgan Freeman Interview
edit on 2/14/2011 by screaminmimi because: couldn't embed, so I added the link

Oops. Just realized someone had already added it LOL...Oh, well
edit on 2/14/2011 by screaminmimi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   

I have to agree to an extent. I don't want a month to be celebrated, I just want the word white person to not sound bad coming from a person of color. I cringe when a someone says that white person. Being a "minority" is a scapegoat. I'm in a room with an equally intelligent human being that is black, but he'll get into Harvard over me because of affirmative action.

Also to people who are white the question remains what should we call people that are black, so not to offend. Easy they have a month called black history month.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
When is Asian History Month? When is Hispanic History Month? When is Native American History Month?

edit on 2/13/2011 by ~Lucidity because: formatting error

Asian-Pacific Heritage Month originated in a congressional bill. In June 1977, Reps. Frank Horton of New York and Norman Y. Mineta of California introduced a House resolution that called upon the president to proclaim the first ten days of May as Asian-Pacific Heritage Week. The following month, senators Daniel Inouye and Spark Matsunaga introduced a similar bill in the Senate. Both were passed. On October 5, 1978, President Jimmy Carter signed a Joint Resolution designating the annual celebration. Twelve years later, President George H.W. Bush signed an extension making the week-long celebration into a month-long celebration. In 1992, the official designation of May as Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month was signed into law.

asianpacificheritage.gov...

Hispanic Heritage Week was approved by President Lyndon Johnson and was expanded by President Ronald Reagan in 1988 to cover a 30-day period starting on September 15 and ending on October 15. It was enacted into law on August 17, 1988 on the approval of Public Law 100-402.

en.wikipedia.org...

The first American Indian Day in a state was declared on the second Saturday in May 1916 by the governor of New York. Several states celebrate the fourth Friday in September. In Illinois, for example, legislators enacted such a day in 1919. Presently, several states have designated Columbus Day as Native American Day, but it continues to be a day we observe without any recognition as a national legal holiday.
In 1990 President George H. W. Bush approved a joint resolution designating November 1990 "National American Indian Heritage Month." Similar proclamations, under variants on the name (including "Native American Heritage Month" and "National American Indian and Alaska Native Heritage Month") have been issued each year since 1994.
nativeamericanheritagemonth.gov...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
No offense but as a Native, whenever I watch History channel, it seems every month is white history month to me. Just sayin'.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

It's really hard to keep blaming whites when we have a black president who doesn't seem to give a # about anyone but his money bags.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ossminid

There's no denying that white privilege still exists in this country. I've experienced it for myself. Try being a skin and get a job at a bank. Seriously. I can't even walk into a gas station without being watched like a hawk because you know ---- "indians are natural born thieves." But, I choose to not blame whites for what their ancestors did. Every race and culture has done some horrific things. Any person, regardless of skin color cannot live from one generation to the next blaming your choices, your situation, and your life on a certain race of people. If you do, you're going to have one... miserable... life.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
When my daughter was in the fourth grade she had to write a paper for black history month with the aide of a parent. We wrote one on a white man in the south in the 1850s that taught blacks how to read and write. He was a wealthy man and didn't own any slaves. She got a zero on the paper because it didn't spotlinght a black person. I went to the school for a conference to see why. My daughter was to show an accomplishment for a historic black figure instead she exhalted works by a white man. Eventhough the instructions for the paper stated, show a person that helped to make strides to the betterment of black Americans. The teacher was adamant my daughter got a zero, the principal let her write a paper on George Washington Carver she got a 100.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Black history month, white history month, Democrat, Republican, rich, poor...damn, do we have a lot of labels. I have sympathy for the plight of many "labeled" people. Decades ago there were black bathrooms, black water fountains, etc. That was wrong, insulting and racist...right? How different is that than black history month? If those bathrooms were better than others, if those water fountains had cleaner water...would that be racist?

In my opinion, we have a simple choice. Either everything should be equal, or everything should be fair. You can't have both in a real society. For example...it could be called racist if a company has only 5% black employees, when (for argument's sake) 20% of the population is black. If you want to be equal...that company should have to raise their black employee percentage to 20%...regardless. But for everything to be fair, you must look beyond the label. You have to look at what percentage of blacks want such a job, how many are qualified (schooled), etc. And if that number is less than 20%...if in reality it is 5%...then the company may be fair, but may not be equal.

It is only a small percentage of the people that want labels. And those are the people who use labels for their personal benefit. Politicians, race-baiters (Sharpton, etc.). People who need "the people" to see themselves as islands in our sea of a nation. So long as the government can keep us at each other's throats, they won't have to worry about Egypt-type protests since we can't organize people who are suspicious or hateful of each other. What do they call that? Divide and conquer? Or maybe divide and control.

If you want true equality...then (using my "best guess" percentages)...the NFL should be 80% white, there should be a "white history month", a White Entertainment Network, and 80% of signed rappers should have to be white. Obviously...that is STUPID!!! So forget equal. Lets shoot for fair. Fair is that we should all have an equal voice, equal opportunity IF you are equally qualified, etc. Demanding "special" consideration isn't equal or fair. "I'm gay so I deserve a parade", "I'm black so I deserve special consideration"...THAT is more bigoted than much of hour failed history of "equality".

This country is in trouble. And if we people can't start calling ourselves Americans, citizens or humanity, instead of Muslim-American, black or white...we will loose. We will loose to those who want us too busy in-fighting to fight together for what we all deserve. Freedom, representation and fairness. You...whoever you are...are not equal to me. You may have different schooling, different abilities or disabilities, different intelligence, etc. at an individual level. If I'm stupid and you are a genius, we can't be equal. But, we can be treated fairly.

My opinion? Be Catholic in your own house...be African-American in your own family...be Muslim in your Mosque. But in public, in the street, in the work-place...be American, be one of "the people"...and be fair to one another. Treat me fairly and with respect and I will be happy to excel within the limits of myself. I won't demand a 100K salary if I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. I will shoot for my personal best. I will not, unfairly, compare my "apple" to his "orange". And my "character"...by which everyone should be judged will grow.

Kind of a joke, but...maybe if we all had to wear school-type uniforms, paint ourselves green and speak with a southern accent, we could actually start seeing each other's character instead of each other's uniqueness. And finally...if your character sucks...your uniqueness is no excuse. Look in the mirror.
edit on 2/14/2011 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
why is this thread made EVERY YEAR

ffs

not only is racist bait, im fully aware the OP knows FULL WELL white history is taught every day in every school across the country...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia

Race refers to classifications of humans into relatively large and distinct populations or groups often based on factors such as appearance based on heritable phenotypical characteristics or geographic ancestry, but also often influenced by and correlated with traits such as culture, ethnicity and socio-economic status. As a biological term, race denotes genetically divergent human populations that can be marked by common phenotypic traits. This sense of race is often used by forensic anthropologists when analyzing skeletal remains, in biomedical research, and in race-based medicine. The study of shared traits among peoples is also conducted along ethnic lines, involving the endogamic history of groups. Racial groupings may correspond with patterns of social stratification, helping social scientists to understand the underlying disparities among racially defined groups of people. Additionally, law enforcement utilizes race to create profiles of wanted suspects in an expeditious manner.

en.wikipedia.org...

Cherry picking AGAIN?

You, of course, didn't want to include this part from your Wiki link:

While scientists use the concept of race to make practical distinctions among fuzzy sets of traits, the scientific community feels that the idea of race is often used by the general public[5] in a naive[6] or simplistic way, erroneously designating wholly discrete types of individuals. Among humans, race has no cladistic significance—all people belong to the same hominid subspecies, Homo sapiens sapiens.

Cherry picking works with people too lazy to read entire lnks.

Oh, and if *RACE*, as you "Claim" is not real.... then why bother having Black History month in the first place?

It describes a culture, not a 'race' as you and Ernst Zundel wannabees would like to trumpet.

Since Black is not a real thing to describe humans.

Humans come in many hues, from albino white to ebony black... but that's skin colour, not 'race'.

This can be taken to it's logical conclusion so far as the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is needlessly advancing the cause of people who are no different than the rest of us.

I'm not an American citizen. Go talk to Obama.

Hiring quotas for "Minorities" of course should be the next thing to go, since Race is not a real thing...

ditto as above

:

edit on 14/2/11 by masqua because: bb code edit

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Question Fate
why is this thread made EVERY YEAR

ffs

not only is racist bait, im fully aware the OP knows FULL WELL white history is taught every day in every school across the country...

Wow! Russians are taught Russian history...Africans are taught African history...Mexicans are taught Mexican history. But you hold that Americans are taught "white" history. Way to race-bait. If America is a melting-pot, I suggest you consider melting. "We the people" must include you and I...regardless of what we look like, where we are from, etc.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I totally agree. I am an American, not an African American or a Chinese American or whatever. I am a second generation American. Which means my heritage only goes back to about 1916. I do not understand why a certain group of people get special treatment. Rotten things have happened to every race of people on this planet. I do run back to Europe every year and demand justice over the atrocities that happen to my ancestors. Asking for free money and special privileges. Guess I just don't get it.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Here in Europe, the black Europeans do not put African- *insert present country here* when they identify themselves. The African immigrants we have here in Sweden identify themselves as Swedes. Swedes ONLY. I am sure the same goes for the rest of Europe. Sure, to say there is NO racism in Europe is a lie. There is some, not much from what I know. However, in comparison to the States, one can derive that racism is a critical matter in America. It's in all the news in some form or another.

I was taught about racism, the African slave trade and American history in school over here when I attended. So, I am not ignorant of the facts. However, did you know that a large percentage of 'free' black Americans owned slaves as well? Food for thought.

Only in America you have black history month and all the other ethnic holidays. Why? Do you people not like being American? America is a great country with the potential to advance its' society if racial matters were resolved. Why all the hate and 'veiled' hate?

White history month? I say no. It ony contributes to more division.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Your question reeks of arrogance and more importantly ignorance. Oddly enough, this is not the first time I have seen this question asked on this site. The answer is simple and quite short and I intend to address my remarks towards your mentality (and those of whom have asked said question before.)

You are arrogant in thinking that YOU (white people in general I suppose) DESERVE a month to commemorate the plight and injustices the white people of America have been suffering since its INCEPTION. I hope you can sense the sarcasm there. The fact that there is an entire month dedicated to the education of the suffering of the blacks and their eventual overcoming of most obstacles, and your subsequent question pleads to your ignorance.

When The Blacks start raping, beating, enslaving, working you to death, OWNING YOUR LIFE FROM BIRTH, and start hanging you like a spectacle so that everybody can see what happens if you even TRY to show some self worth. When this "future history" happens and you overcome the what seems to be impossible odds, then maybe I will have some sympathy to your argument

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
hey everybody! well since there is already several pages on this post, i'm sure i won't get read, but i have to say something.

everytime somebody mentions something about a white history month or something to recognise the accomplishments of anglo americans or caucaisians or whatever you want to call us, the response is always "they have that year round." as if schools around the country only teach about other cultures inside of our vast american cuture on their given history month. This is not true, now when i was in high school (Wyandotte, Oklahoma, class of 05) our history classes consisted of a hodge podge of american history, including everybody.

So here is what i say to all of you, who just want to bash on this guy, and call him an "ignorant american" get a group of 100 american high schoolers from different racial, financial, and religious backgrounds, and i can guarantee that they will know the names of Chrispis Atticks, Ceasar Chavez, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Sitting Bull, George Washington Carver, and many others along with Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, and the other big name white americans who we all know about, and to the women on this fine website, i realize i didn't mention any women, but i bet the same group of kids could also tell you about Susan B. Anthony, Harriet Tubman, Elanor Roosevelt, or any other woman who had such an impact on our great and colorful history.

So now, America, here we stand with 235 years of mistakes and lessons learned, and yet we all try to seperate ourselves by such a minor thing as race. Do we for get the quote, in our own constitution? "We hold these truths to be self evident that ALL MEN (the human race) are created equal."

As a Petty Officer, Third Class, in the worlds finest navy, i notice that even here, where each of our lives depend on everyone else doing their jobs, that we constantly try to seperate our selves due to our race and backgrounds. In Fact, recently myself and a group of other sailors were discussing our family members in the military, past and present, that people told me i was wrong to be proud of a great great, ect, grandfather served in the Confederate Army, When i also mentioned that i had a grandfather on the other side of my family that was a colonel in the Union army, that was ok. Why? Was not the former fighting for what he believed in? For his rights as and American?

But i Digress, please take my reply as you want, but this is how i feel about it, well my rant is over and so, lets all do as the motto of this fine website suggests and "Deny Ignorance"

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join