It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thoughts on the Mossberg 500-pump action field/security combo?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by orangetom1999

the semi's are far more exspensive than the pumps, thats for sure. im not sold on more reliable.

a big complaint i read online about the semi i bought, was that it didnt cycle low power shells. The video i posted above was the first 8 i shot after purchasing the shotty. as you can see it ate the walmart cheap crap i was feeding it quite well. As far as my shotgun is concerned, the issues were caused by two situations. One, the shotguns were packed in heavy grease for shipping, and people were not cleaning them prior to firing. Always clean a new firearm prior to shooting it! Your actually supposed to have a gunsmith check it out. i usually dont, i just inspect it for anything obvious. problems were also caused by people using the heavier piston installed, instead of the light piston provided. the light can be used for all shells. The heavy piston is for repeated heavy shell shooting.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesquid

I have never desired to own a semi auto shotgun for the very reason you describe. They can be fussy about the power of the shells you feed into them. With a pump you control the action. That is my preference...that I control the action.
The ultimate to me in simplicity and reliability would be a single shot break open shotgun. But a pump is to me a good compromise between single shot and semi.

Also you are quite correct about the cleaning of a firearm. I find this astonishing that people would shoot a firearm without first a thorough cleaning and inspection. I probably should not be astonished by this but it is my habit to first clean and using a flashlight on several parts..inspect before shooting.
It is the same with any piece of machinery I own. Read the manual..clean and inspect.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Buddy just bought one, has kind of a digi-camo thing going on I think it was a 590A1.They also make a pretty nice stainless one. I have a Ithaca Model 87 M&P for my shotty. Mossberg should be a solid choice. Get a # load of bird shot and work your way up to buck then slugs. The pumps seem to kick a little more than the semi`s to me but are a good choice for home defense. I also heard that #4 shot is what to use if you want to avoid over penatration in a residential situation. Practice, practice, practice.

Bill

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I have been on a waiting list for this gun for over a month. Must be a lot of folks trying to buy it.

- mike

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by subversivemike

I purchased one and havent shot it yet. I have only taken it out of carton twice.There is something small moving up and down inside area that holds all your shells. Anyone know what this could be? Should i take it apart myself or carry it back to dealer. Dont want to risk any warranty problems if i dismantle myself. Please help!?!
Earth Art
edit on 13-3-2011 by earthart because: Forgot signature.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I just purchased a brand new moss. 500 tactical and something is sliding up and down in area holding shells.Sounds very small. Never shot the gun so it is nothing foreign ive gotten in it.Do all of them do this? never dismantled before either. Should i dismantle and find out or take it back to dealer to in case they void warranty.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
WHY DONT YOU CHECK OUT THE FBI MOSSBERG TESTS THAT WERE CONDUCTED WHEN THE AGENCY WAS LOOKING TO GET A LARGE SHOTGUN PURCHASE...

THEY PUT LIKE 30,000 ROUNDS THRU ONE AND IT NEVER MISFIRED OR JAMMED...

HOW COULD YOU GO WRONG...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Well, I hate to dig up an old thread, but I thought I'd post that I finally got the gun about 3 weeks ago. I can't believe it is back-ordered for so long. But to walk out the door with a brand new Mossberg 500 with a 28" and a 18 1/2" barrel, three different chokes, a pistol-grip conversion kits as well as a couple of boxes of shells for under $360, well I can understand why it would be such a popular gun.

I ran about half a box of some low brass target shot through it with no problem. A nice kick and I may replace the rubber piece at the end of the stock as the recoil isn't bad, but the rubber piece isn't very comfortable.

- mike

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
With the Moss 500 or the Rem 870, as far as home defense,... just the sound of pumping the slide is enough to scare off most intruders...

It is an iconic sound...

LOL

top topics

<< 1   >>

join