It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thoughts on the Mossberg 500-pump action field/security combo?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I'm getting ready to buy my first shotgun and have decided that, for the money, the Mossberg 500 field/security combo 12 guage is probably the best deal. I like the interchangeable barrels; one for the house and one for the occasional clays.

Do any ATS'er have this gun or have shot it? What are your thoughts?

- mike

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Ive shot it and own it ... an excellent and reliable weapon for sure you cant go wrong.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Great pump gun, 500's and the rem. 870's are the 2 most widely used. You can't go wrong with either. I have fired 500's but they were .20gauge and a .410 bore. Have fun with your new toy!

Deebo

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by subversivemike

very nice gun, the mossbergs are becoming preferable over rem's in the uscg. but...

the saigi is a far superior weapon designed by the guy who made the ak-47.. w/o a doubt more reliable, less likely to jam and capable of actually fitting a combat environment. you may prefer not to agree but you should definitely look into it..

if you have considered it, what did you not like about it.. the history of american guns is similar to that of the american automobile [ used to be the best, complacency and arrogance caused it to be left behind] now they have to "cut costs" [push inferior crap in order to compete globally]..

take for example the rem auto rifles and the coverup of accidental deaths due to firing without pulling the trigger..they have spent millions keeping that quiet.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I have never owned the combo pack, but i have owned the 20 1/4 inch barreled security version.
It is chambered to fit 2 or 3 more shells than the 500.
It is basically the civilian version of the 590, no bayonet lug or heat shield, which is fine for me.
I have used it for clays also and i am accurate with it so...
I would suggest Mossberg to anyone, Remingtons are fine also just quality has been an issue for a couple of decades as well.
But if you are gonna get something to depend your life on, any Mossberg pump is fine.
Steer clear of semiautos, they put rounds down range but are succeptable to failure.
My favorite was an old winchester mod 12, hold the trigger down and pump away, dern but i spent alot in shells, but it did get me into reloading shotshells so, good trade off.
Man but i should have never sold that dern thing!!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog

I'll have to look into the Saigi. I'm still new to buying guns, though I've shot quite a few. I really don't know much about the Saigi. I liked the option the Mossberg provides with the two barrels.

- mike
edit on 13-2-2011 by subversivemike because: More info

edit on 13-2-2011 by subversivemike because: Clarification

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

i am former usmc and uscg, have brother, uncle and 3 cousins in or have been to iraq/afghan.. trust me everyone that knows about scatterguns prefer saiga hands down.. the US is trying to keep the gun contracts/kickbacks in place and therefore are pushing inferior shotguns because the saiga is not american.

kinda like the m-16 being the cause of misfires and jams leading to loss of life even though WTI (weapons training institute) doc's show the saiga as the best shotgun produced to date ..

which is why the aa-12 has been developed. the us has been scrambling to make something as good as the saiga.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

yeah it makes a bang bang bang sound but it is still a semiauto.
They are much more succeptible to jams, they cost at least 3 times what a pump does as well.
I may sound like the old timer arguing the wheel gun against a semiauto, but until semiauto shotguns can fire reliably 99.9% of the time, i have no place for em.
My mossberg has wow i dunno bout 16 years on it and i cannot even begin to count the rounds it fed, needless to say, if you knew me you'd know ALOT of rounds.
My Mossberg has NEVER misfed, doublefed, misfired, stuck, Etc. i have NEVER had a malfunction of any type as of yet. thank the goddess!
But i look at it as a KISS keep it simple stupid, less things to go wrong.
Plus it is an excellent intro weapon, easy to learn and cheap cost.
If you want a semi get one after you get your pump.
Just an old farts view.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Per your recommendation, I checked out the Saiga. Honestly, it is a bit more tactical than I am looking for at this point.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

in my area, eastern nc, the saiga's go for 400-600 depending on gauge..

i have used 12 ga in desert, moutain, arctic, urban and nautical environments.. from breech and clear to russian boardings..
it sounds as if you are unfamiliar with current weapon technology which sounds as if you have NO experience in a combat settings or with the saiga. have you used one in such scenario?

did you know pretty much all of central europe, russia, and baltic have switched exclusively to the saiga? you knowledge sounds so 20 years ago.

i have a double barrel that never jams either, get my point?
ever tried skeet shooting with a pump?
every time you rack another shell you have to resight in..one shot one kill doesn't always work. of it did every military on earth would still use springfields single shots.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

For home defense, I want to use non-lethal rounds and the Mossberg 500 should be able to do that with the short barrel no problem. Have you ever shot non-lethal rounds through your Mossberg?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Ok young man i tried being nice but...
I have used Pumps/ and or Mossberg in all of the above mentioned envioronments, cept russia, never been to russia.
You speak of modern weaponry, this saiga is a ak-47 basically just chambered for shotshells.
Although here in Kali, AK's are forbidden, i could school several experts on the AK platform.
Now onto modern weaponry, the AK-47 was born in 1947 after the AK-46 washed out due to small problems.
1947 is not modern mmmkay?
As far as comat situations, i have years of training and some live fire experience, but yeah my training may be 20 or so years old.
However fear today is still the same as it was 20 or even 200 years ago. that is the only real obsticle in a combat situation.
Now as for europe going to this weapon "almost exclusively" that's cool i'm an American, here we have a choice on which weapon we want, some states excluded. Kalifornia is one of them unfortunately.
It is cool you have a Double barrel, they are cool and i get the point. it'll never jam.
Now just google Saiga jam and you will get a whole slew of Youtube vids of the gun jamming for one reason or another.
Now google Mossberg Jam you will hear crickets.
Now onto tactical, have you ever seen the box magazine on that gun???? try maneuvering any woodland with a 12 rd magazine in that thing, another point is you need magazines.
Pump with tubular magazines suffer this none, you can top them off and they do not catch on a tree or jab you in the back, if you have maneuvered in the woods with a 30 rd magazine you know what i speak of.
I have trap, skeet, wabbit, squirrel i have shot all things imaginable with my pump, and pumping really doesnt effect my accuracy as i practice.
Now, i do understand what you are trying to say, but there is still some merit to my platform and choice.
We cannot agree on everything, that said, if i could buy one here in The Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, i would jump on it, theyre great fun.

That would be absolutely not outside of just a few for grins and giggles.
Non lethal or less than lethal is not an option, if you are worried about your kids, point blank a bean bag kills just by muzzle blast and blunt force.
And in some states if you do not put your animal down, they will sue you for your gun, house, wife dog, truck, Etc.
I would never use bean bags, unless i was under orders to do so.
The only life they would save is a criiminals.
Just an old farts view.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

For what you want, a Saiga shotgun is overkill and overpriced. The box magazine looks for things to hang up on and the action will jam. You will not need a combat semi-auto for home defense. Hunting with a 20 round magazine and short barrel might not sit well with game wardens. Should you ever need it, one shot will probably do the trick but if you need more than one, a pump is more reliable. Within the confines of your house, BB or #4 shot will be fatal and won't accidentally hit the neighbors.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
These gun chats are always so interesting to read.

Get the mossy. Great gun. You want it for HD, thats all you will need. You should have no prob shooting defensive loads. You thinking bean bag rounds, or what do you have in mind?

Im only going to weigh in on one aspect of this discussion. i have a win 1300 pump, and an FNH semi. i can almost shoot the pump as fast and accuratly as the semi. But the semi is so so fast.

edit on 13-2-2011 by Bluesquid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Both the Mossi 500 and Rem 870 are great low cost weapons. Plenty of selection in terms of customization and a high degree of reliability. The 12 gauge is by far the best "overall" home defense weapon. Sometimes just the sound of a cycled round from a pump action will deter a burglar/prowler. The Mossi 500 is a good entry level choice.

Personally, I prefer the Benelli M4 or X1014. The only problem is price...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Mossbergs are always nice!! may i suggest a comprimize...? a mid length barrel.. long enough to clay/hunt.. and still short enough to intruder hunt... Mossy 500 Rolling Thunder.... 12 g... 6 shot... 23" barrel... barrel stabilizer with picatinny rail (sweet) ... accecorize as needed.... suggested; folding/telescoping stock (adjust to hunt clay/animal/bird/human).. light/laser on bottom rail... not that a laser is needed on a shotgun... but..

www.mossberg.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Thanks for the input everyone. I put my order in for a Mossberg 500 security/field 12 ga. yesterday. Got it for less than $320 after taxes.

Just a note for those who mentioned barrel length. This combo comes with an 18 1/2" barrel AND a 28" barrel, so the best of both worlds, in my opinion.

Also a note about non-lethal ammo. I was thinking about loading beanbags, then buckshot, then a slug. Call "escalation of force."
Seriously though, I would like to use beanbags and I wanted to make sure they would chamber and fire ok. From what it sounds like talking to the guys at the local gun shop, it will be fine.

Apparently, preference of guns is a touchy/passionate subject. Thanks again for your input. I'll post a picture of the gun and its barrels when I get it.

- mike
edit on 17-2-2011 by subversivemike because: spelling

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

You have made a good choice for what you need. Do more reading about beanbag rounds and criminals suing people defending their homes and families. Be careful of buckshot and slugs in a home environment because of unintended consequences of over penetration and legal ramifications. I don't recommend anything bigger than BB shot or #4 in a home defense setting. Likely, you will never have to find out by shooting someone.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I agree with many of the posters about the Mossburg 500 pump as an entry level shotgun and for home defense.

The problem with semi autos is that many are fussy about the type of ammo used. It must have sufficient kickback to cycle the action. Also many semi autos tend to be a bit pricey.

None of these apply to the Mossburg 500 or the Remington 870 pump shotguns...you control the action.
In this a pump is simplicity itself. And simplicity tends towards reliability.

Agree with some of the posters about a magazine sticking way out. To many hangups and high capacity magazines tend to grab or get caught on alot of stuff.

Also in case you dont know..there are several rapid loading/reloading techniques for the pump shotgun...and doing so on the move.
I did not know about this until a retired coast guardsman at the local gun club explained it to me. I am greatful to him for this knowledge.

In my opinion you did correct in getting different barrels for your shotgun and thus extending its flexability/capability. Well done sir..well done.

Thanks to all for their posts.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

I was kidding about the slug. And the buckshot.

You are right, I will probably never have to point a shotgun at anyone. But, I also never want to have an "if only" moment either.

If someone wants to break in to my humble abode, and I do mean humble, I want to give him every chance to leave without violence. If not, I have found beanbag shots that have a fin and are designed reduce the chance for penetration. But yes, I am reading up on the subject.

- mike

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join