It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frazil Ice in Yosemite!

page: 1

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
- This amazing video footage shows a phenomenon called Frazil Ice!

Frazile ice flows are dramatic natural events that occur in the waterfalls of Yosemite Valley
during March and April.

Having spent many summers in Yosemite, I had heard of this wonderous sight, read John Muir's
intriguing description of it, yet until now had not had a visual picture.

You wont be dissapointed, its very awesome to watch.
So enjoy this short 8 minute vacation and let nature entertain you!

Its best in pop out mode.

The Snow by John Muir

But afar on the lofty exposed peaks of the range standing so high in the sky, the storm was expressing itself in still grander characters, which I was soon to see in all their glory. I had long been anxious to study some points in the structure of the ice-cone that is formed every winter at the foot of the upper Yosemite fall, but the blinding spray by which it is invested had hitherto prevented me from making a sufficiently near approach. This morning the entire body of the fall was torn into gauzy shreds, and blown horizontally along the face of the cliff, leaving the cone dry; and while making my way to the top of an overlooking ledge to seize so favorable an opportunity to examine the interior of the cone, the peaks of the Merced group came in sight over the shoulder of the South Dome, each waving a resplendent banner against the blue sky, as regular in form, and as firm in texture, as if woven of fine silk. So rare and splendid a phenomenon, of course, overbore all other considerations, and I at once let the ice-cone go, and began to force my way out of the valley to some dome or ridge sufficiently lofty to command a general view of the main summits, feeling assured that I should find them bannered still more gloriously; nor was I in the least disappointed.
www.yosemite.ca.us...
edit on 13-2-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The pure raw beauty of Yosemite is astounding! I have never seen anything like this before. Thanks for sharing!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

Your very welcome!

I can only imagine what it would be like to be there.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I love Yosemite, I'm only a few hours drive away, and I've been there many times hiking, camping, ect... yet I've never heard of Frazile Ice. Thanks for posting I can't wait to see this in person.
S+F

edit on 13-2-2011 by inthemass because: Error

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Nature's Frappuccino! Yum.
Nice find OP.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Truly amazing what mother nature can do when she is wearing her creative hat. Stunning, thanks for sharing

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Even after all this time, we still find so much to be in awe of with nature. I can almost imagine the fickle nature of the creek as the ice moves along, finding a path unsuitable to its perspective, not agreeing with the placement of a building somewhere... and just taking it upon itself to do the moving. Too cool by far! (no pun intended)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I really enjoyed this! I love learning something new and now I know what Frazil Ice is. Thank you for sharing this beauty.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by inthemass

I dont think I had either...by that name.

I had heard of the ice cone...but not the icee slushy

reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Oh, that sounds so good!
Yummm...close your eyes, you can smell it!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

That is so beautiful! I hope one day I could go and visit! Thank you for sharing this.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Eventually, polar-shift theorists will be warning of slushy tsunamis when oceans/waterways move to the south pole. The warm water mixing with the instant cold would create vapor if it wasn't so cold (huge-scale sublimation?), I wonder if it would pile up like the snow cone in the video, but all over the place...
edit on 14-2-2011 by alaskan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join