It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt Constitution Suspended, Parliament Dissolved, Military Council Says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Egypt Constitution Suspended, Parliament Dissolved, Military Council Says

www.bloomberg.com

Egypt’s army dissolved the country’s parliament and suspended the constitution following the ouster of President Hosni Mubarak, saying it will rule for six months or until general elections are held.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This makes me nervous for the Egyptian people.

The military has declared the protest over and now has begun the business of getting things back to normal - only through force in some cases.

About 2,000 remained this morning as soldiers formed a cordon around the protesters and cars began to flow again into the square. Soldiers forcibly took down some of the tents that protesters had used to camp out in the square.

The sooner an elected parliament & president is installed, the better. Military rule of Egypt is dangerous, just as military rule of any country is.

The coup went pretty well, didn't it? Still think this was a people's revolution?

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

The coup went pretty well, didn't it? Still think this was a people's revolution?

S+F good sir. A humble bow in your direction.

I like a topic that gets right to the point.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I would like to say good for the people of Egypt, if the Generals don't get power hungry.
This way the peoples of Egypt can draft a new constitution and work out all of the wrinkles or just plain injustices they have had.
This could ne a new dawn for them if all goes well.
Praying for the best outcome, as this will go down as a relatively bloodless revolution, some parished, but it could have gone much much worse. not that some didn't try.
Pray the Generals are not yet tainted.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
America wont like this.

Competition is bad and their Army rules Earth.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Cautious optomism.. Hopefully its to give the Egyptian People the chance to get the full government they desrve, and not just a president.

/crosses fingers

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by zroth

America wont like this.

Competition is bad and their Army rules Earth.

Who do you think funds the Egyptian Army?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Thank you for posting this.
I was just watching the news.
No mention of this yet on my local station yet.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
What did you think was going to happen.that the protests would end and majically over night(poof) there would appear a democratic government.All they've done is remove the last vestages of the old regime and start getting the country back to normal so the work towards democracy can begin.The Egyptians have a good rapport with their military.You could see it when they first showed up at the beginning of the protest.The protesters where bringing them food and water. They were slapping them on the back and hugging them. The army never did fire on them and they could have.I would imagine that Mubarak told them to and they refused.Look at the police behaving like a bunch of thugs and trying to present themselves as pro Mubarak .Guess who set that up.Just a penis potatoe trying to hold onto power.Read dictator.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

Israel and the dutch. just like they fund the US army.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Thanks for the headsup.
So much has been happening so fast it's sometimes hard to keep up.'
S & F

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
What did you think was going to happen.that the protests would end and majically over night(poof) there would appear a democratic government.All they've done is remove the last vestages of the old regime and start getting the country back to normal so the work towards democracy can begin.The Egyptians have a good rapport with their military.You could see it when they first showed up at the beginning of the protest.The protesters where bringing them food and water. They were slapping them on the back and hugging them. The army never did fire on them and they could have.I would imagine that Mubarak told them to and they refused.Look at the police behaving like a bunch of thugs and trying to present themselves as pro Mubarak .Guess who set that up.Just a penis potatoe trying to hold onto power.Read dictator.

Contrary to what most on this site would say or believe, the majority of Americans have a good rapport with our military too. After all, they are our sons & daughters, brothers & sisters, friends & cohorts, etc.. That doesn't mean though that military rule is ever a good thing. The sooner the Egyptian military hands over power to a duly elected government, the better.

Did you know that Egypt has been under a state of emergency for over 30 years now? Who usually has more power under a state of emergency? The military maybe? Oh, and let's not forget that Mubarak is a military man himself... nteresting isn't it?

edit on 13/2/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by zroth
reply to post by Sri Oracle

Israel and the dutch. just like they fund the US army.

I suppose it is as you count your cards. No matter how you look at it... the Egyptian Army is far less of a threat to the US army; as it is moreso an extension...

Sri Oracle

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Uh boy - anyone who didn't see that coming wasn't thinking far enough into the future.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Yeah because that's how our forefathers did it after the Tea Party was over, they all went home and waited for the King to step down and the British Military to install a new government for us.

News Flash:

Egyptian Constitution has been suspended

Since it ended Monarchy it has only three leaders, all of them military strongmen

Yet a fourth has just been installed

I don't know what is more frightening that you imgaine that's a path to democracy or that some people for some bizarre rea$on$ agree with you.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Ahhh... lookey here:

'Egyptians aware of US hijack plan'

While the Egyptians are celebrating the ouster of Hosni Mubarak, many are concerned about US Israeli plans with senior Egyptian military personnel to steal and depress the revolution.

The same military that the US has been "aiding"...

But now that Mubarak is out many of them are worried that somebody will come in to hijack their revolution be it El-Baradei, be it Amr Moussa, or be it other military officers as mentioned earlier.

So I think there is a very strong sense of alarm as to what might happen given that some of these officers are close to the US, given the declaration that came out today about the officers abiding by all international treaties signed by the previous regime, which would include Camp David signed by Sadat. That's one thing, so there's a feeling of let's wait and see where this goes.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Yeah because that's how our forefathers did it after the Tea Party was over, they all went home and waited for the King to step down and the British Military to install a new government for us.

News Flash:

Egyptian Constitution has been suspended

Since it ended Monarchy it has only three leaders, all of them military strongmen

Yet a fourth has just been installed

I don't know what is more frightening that you imgaine that's a path to democracy or that some people for some bizarre rea$on$ agree with you.

Well gosh there mr. proto I'uns just wish I could be as smart as you yuk,yuk.Let me know when you withdraw your head from your nether reigions.but clean up first from what you are full of.

edit on 2/13/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

I completely agree with you .

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
This is the best possible outcome for ensuring stability in the colonies. Perhaps once the military grinds down the last of the anti government scum it will be safe to resume my tour of the outer colonies, which i have undertaken by way of paddle steamer and hot air balloon TOOT TOOT ITS ALL TOP HATS AND CHAMPAGNE ON MY TOUR OF THE COLONIES I SAY OLD CHAP TOOOOOOOT TOOOOOOOOT

oh and anyone who thinks the military being in power is a good thing, lol at you basicaly, you should probably read more i guess.
edit on 13-2-2011 by Johnze because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Well, that is pretty much how it is always done.

Reminds one of the situation in Pakistan where

Musharraf became de facto Head of Government (using the title Chief Executive and assuming extensive powers) of Pakistan following a bloodless coup d'état on 12 October 1999.
Source

According to the constitution he was to hold elections as soon as possible. Surprise, he didn't. He stayed on as the de facto president until 2008.

From a pragmatic point of view, stability is important. (Ask most Iraqi's who preferred life under Saddam Hussein to the subsequent instability following his "ousting".) A country and its economy can only handle being shut down for so long before total chaos ensues. (Then again, perhaps that is what is needed for "real" change.) Many people, especially those who were financially well off within the original status quo, would gladly give up some level of freedom for stability, that is human nature.

Perhaps someone on ATS can point to a "bloodless revolt" that actually produced a change in the favor of the citizens, I for one, cannot find an historic example.

the Billmeister
edit on 14-2-2011 by Billmeister because: punctuation

top topics

<<   2 >>

join