It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reclaim Love Street Party at Piccadilly Circus in Protest Against Valentines Day (ATS Citizen Journa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Piccadilly Circus was awash with unconditional love and free hugs on Saturday as the Reclaim Love movement held a street party around the Eros Statue.

Loved-up protesters entertained each other and passers-by with street art and music. If all you need is love, then these guys certainly have it. London, UK. 12/02/11

edit on 13-2-2011 by LarryLove because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
That looked like it was awesome. Everyone seemed to have been enjoying themselves. Sometimes I forget how great people can be.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

There was a beautiful vibe on the day and who could possibly turn down free hugs and unconditional love!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I can't believed I missed this!
LL, where did you learn about this if I may ask?
There was meant to be the protest on Mubarak at Trafalgar Square yesterday as well.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackPoison94

Yesterday was an amazing day and I happened upon the Reclaim Love protest by chance. Originally I covered the Take VAT protest at Heathrow and then traveled back to Trafalgar Square to cover the Egyptian solidarity protest/freedom celebration. I was making my way back to Piccadilly Circus and saw lots of writing on the streets including arrows with 'love this way' next to them. I followed and this took me to Green Park where I found Reclaim Love who were about to make their way back to the statue of Eros for a street party. Stayed on to take pictures and get free hugs!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

Yet another spectacle of liberation on the public place... all done in conformity with the Law. And now they're using the MILITARY COUP in Egypt to celebrate peaceful "revolution"... sheesh!

"Love"? Where was the orgy in there? Oooh... that's because sex is UNLAWFUL on the UK's public place, eh? Well, so much for "freeduuum"...

Next thing you'll see, is these fake love events being sponsored by some big corporations from behind as one of these sick "guerilla marketing" tactics... OOPS!
Should have kept my mouth shut!

Desperate people, for desperate times.

edit on 13/2/11 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Echtelion

Yet another spectacle of liberation on the public place... all done in conformity with the Law. And now they're using the MILITARY COUP in Egypt to celebrate peaceful "revolution"... sheesh!

"Love"? Where was the orgy in there? Oooh... that's because sex is UNLAWFUL on the UK's public place, eh? Well, so much for "freeduuum"...

Next thing you'll see, is these fake love events being sponsored by some big corporations from behind as one of these sick "guerilla marketing" tactics... OOPS!
Should have kept my mouth shut!

Desperate people, for desperate times.

Some see the good in others. Some see the opposite. Guess which one you are.......

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Echtelion

Some times, boots-to-the-ground reporting far outweighs behind-the-keyboard opinion when it comes to understanding peoples' motives to protest and how genuine they are. Believe me, I am not a happy ray of sunshine all the time, but being around the Reclaim Love people, well you couldn't help but smile and feel compassion towards your fellow human.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Love is not about sex or orgies, its about Love.

Why does anyone need Valentines day to show Love to anybody?
My Wife and I like many others d not do or take part in the mass money making day known as Valentines day, if you Love someone you have 365 days to show someone you Love them, you don't need fancy cards or mass produced products which cost a fortune as the day approaches.

Love is done when you feel the urge to show someone just how much you Love them.

Companies spend a whole year mass producing special items then inflate the cost to make their millions, why not be different? We wont allow anyone to dictate a day when we show our Love, and that is all it is, just like Christmas it is rammed down your throat with adverts and posters, hearts appearing everywhere, all the time trying to drum it into your head.

Don't forget Valentines day, don't forget the one you Love on Valentines day, buy your loved one that special gift on Valentines day, you have to do it on Valentines day.

Well no you do not, you can do it any day of the year you want, every day if you want to.

Sex is meaningless these days because people are having sex with complete strangers and then running off the next morning without even a goodbye, and in a lot of cases a nasty surprise for which you GP will help with.

Love everyday, Love every second of the day, but most of all LOVE on your own terms, not when some corporate monsters tell you too, all they are doing is getting the masses to worship their god of money.

Try it you might be surprised.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Great pics...although I wouldn't call it a protest. In "ancient" times it was called a LOVE IN.

So much more fitting than a protest, lacking violence and all that, that some tend to associate with the word "protest".

Maybe we'll see more of that action, shows of unconditional love, without need of a reason? Love just IS...or it should be.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

larry is there anything of any interest happening in the london area in the next few weeks or so, i am bored with my life and feel like doing something fun and constructive and meeting new people who are a bit different from all my blinded freinds but just never know where to look.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by LarryLove

Some times, boots-to-the-ground reporting far outweighs behind-the-keyboard opinion when it comes to understanding peoples' motives to protest and how genuine they are. Believe me, I am not a happy ray of sunshine all the time, but being around the Reclaim Love people, well you couldn't help but smile and feel compassion towards your fellow human.

My behind-the-keyboard opinion is actually reflecting a boots-to-the-ground, I tell you. Not this one, but many others that I experienced myself. That's why I'm reacting this way.

It's not "been there, done that"... you are right to feel good when witnessing such an event, but I only express doubts they make life better in this world.

I came to think that every act of emancipation is more enjoyable in its outcome than the time of its happening. Continuity, change in everyday life, this is what many of us need desperately, and not sparks that die in nothingness.

I know that seems like asking a lot, but we also don't get much by asking little.

Fire is the solution. Next time you take part in these apparently spontaneous actions, please consider putting things on fire... making sure you don't get caught, of course.

Savagery is the only answer to the hypocrisy of our civilization.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Haha, This is Great. I sent an E-mail within my office on Thursday about the History of Valentines day.
Pretty much explained that St. Valentine was (actually 3 guys) a martyr who they gave a holiday to in order to Supercede the Pagan holiday of Lupercalia. And then went on to Mention how romantic love didn't become a part of it till almost a millennium after the fact thanks to Lord Chaucer (guy who wrote Canterbury Tales) and how we shouldn't let corporations determine how we show Love.

It wasn't till 2 minutes after I e-mailed it that I had somebody come into my office and try to threaten me to keep my moth shut. Never knew Love was a bad thing... Keep it Up!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
But Valentines Day encourages spending and promotes the economy during the slowest time of year! We need it! You don't love anyone unless you buy them a diamond or 1 dozen roses. Every kiss begins with Kay.

Great stuff. I wish I could have attented. I find the concept of Valentines day totally dispicable. Capitalism has found a way to destroy Christmas and the idea of showing you love someone by buying something special.

Honestly, since I have been keeping tabs on this, I have noticed that the Kay jewlers commercials have increased the number of diamonds every year for the past 5 years.

First it was a solitaire diamond.
Next year it was 3 diamonds for past, present, future
Next it was a circle of diamonds
Next it was a string of diamonds
It's probably a diamond studded belt this year.

It's ridiculous. Am I the only one who noticed that the commercials every year are advertising more and more diamonds for their "signature" Valentines gift? What ever happened to a sweet card and some great sex? And what the hell does Feb 14 have to do with any of it? You either love someone and show it or you don't. Jeez.
edit on 13-2-2011 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-2-2011 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheFuzzMonster

Haha, This is Great. I sent an E-mail within my office on Thursday about the History of Valentines day.
Pretty much explained that St. Valentine was (actually 3 guys) a martyr who they gave a holiday to in order to Supercede the Pagan holiday of Lupercalia. And then went on to Mention how romantic love didn't become a part of it till almost a millennium after the fact thanks to Lord Chaucer (guy who wrote Canterbury Tales) and how we shouldn't let corporations determine how we show Love.

It wasn't till 2 minutes after I e-mailed it that I had somebody come into my office and try to threaten me to keep my moth shut. Never knew Love was a bad thing... Keep it Up!

Wtf? Is your "office" happens to be somewhere in that MI6 building by any chance?
Or the Church!

Thanks for the info about Lupercalia... didn't know about that ancient holiday.

From Wikipedia:

The festival began with the sacrifice by the Luperci (or the flamen dialis) of two male goats and a dog.[7] Next two young patrician Luperci were led to the altar, to be anointed on their foreheads with the sacrificial blood, which was wiped off the bloody knife with wool soaked in milk, after which they were expected to smile and laugh.

The sacrificial feast followed, after which the Luperci cut thongs from the skins of the victims, which were called Februa, dressed themselves in the skins of the sacrificed goats, in imitation of Lupercus, and ran round the walls of the old Palatine city, the line of which was marked with stones, with the thongs in their hands in two bands, striking the people who crowded near. Girls and young women would line up on their route to receive lashes from these whips. This was supposed to ensure fertility, prevent sterility in women and ease the pains of childbirth. This tradition itself may survive (Christianised, and shifted to Spring) in certain ritual Easter Monday whippings.

Interesting...

Looks like there's a conspiracy behind Valentine's Day as well!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

we atre not so obsessed with diamonds in the uk as in other nations so i wouldnt really know what to say on that one, i know they are big business in the us as it is fashionable for even men to walk around showing off their diamonds(although some of the football/soccer players sport big diamond studs, this has seemed to have worn off a little in the last couple of years.). but in the uk they are more for the queen, engagement rings and flash git teenage popstars who have no understanding of reality.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by lewman

There's all sorts going on in London - now more than ever. It really depends on what level of participation you are looking for. I go to these events as a freelance photographer, all working towards a career in photojournalism. Let me know how you want to participate and then I'll have a better idea of suggestions.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Great photos Larry! I know many people who also attended this and i was going to go there too!

Did you manage to see the protest before this? the one for Egypt?

Again great to see your pics of the day and i will be sure to share them with the friends i have who attended,
I shall post up a few piccys later too

new topics

top topics

join