It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

get internet access when your government shuts it down

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I'm way over my head in a thread like this but I do know a guy who had a little antenna gizmo with suction cups on it. It looked about the size of a modem. I saw him stick it to the window of a doughnut shop once (he was the night manager) and use it to hack into a satellite and get the internet that way.

He had a program that would use "brute force" (of his expensive laptop, such as it was, 3.x ghz. processor) to crack the access password to the satellite.

Presumably when the internet is "shut down" by big (fill in term of abuse) brother", it won't really be shut down but merely inaccessable. Would my friend's strategy work in that situation?

There was always an element of BS about this character. He wasn't using a "dish", so I wonder if he was really just hacking into the neighborhood near the shop. I guess that would be more likely.
edit on 14-2-2011 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Forget about Sattelites. It's time to apply the Alternative P2P Wireless Internet Network:

www.masternewmedia.org...

If that ever comes to fruition you can bet certain companies and the government will be there to stop it. Free communications is what governments and corporations don't want. . . no tax money and no profit for them. If someone can't put a meter to it you can bet they'll say it's only used by terrorists and paedophiles. . . and ppl will believe it.

Imagine if more and more people used the above technology. What happens when you have handsets that are simply receivers and senders of information to those "nodes" with all the processing done by your computer at home? No need for expensive handset technology, all the power is with you. Free communication.

The government also wants the ability to snoop on everything you do.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Well, here's my first post on ATS. I was pressed to respond to the post about the possibility of an alternate "internet" usable by the masses for communication and organization when the government wants to shut it down with a "kill switch" >>>>>This is pure fantasy, folks.

People, if the "government" wants to kill the internet, it will, and IT CAN. And there's nothing any of us can do about it.

Don't believe me?......here's proof.

>>>>>>>>>> Terrorist EMP Attack

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I've been thinking about this.
The wifi record for two computers was set at well over 2000KM in Venesuela.
It has probably been beaten by now..
Also that the way bit torrents work could be used for a grid of boffins with homemade microwave antennas/receivers.
We already have the tech and the knowhow. We just have to pull resources and work together.

I can remember the days of Citizen's Band (CB) radio in Britain. People would broadcast the entire of the Isles. Illegal back then. Wifi potentially could be a great decentralised renegade net of sorts. Besides, it would be great fun trying.
edit on 14-2-2011 by zarquon51 because: Thought of something to add.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
The only reason for "shutting down the internet" would be political turmoil/revolution, and if that comes to pass, you wouldn't need the internet. They didn't have it in Egypt and they didn't have it in Concord or Lexington, yet the will of the people still carried the day.

As it is, the internet is so compromised by intelligence surveillance - NSA, FBI (carnivore) etc that I would consider the internet a liability in time of political upheaval. Get a twitter to meet at a political rally? It may be a trap set up by a 3-letter agency to conduct surveillance. Send emails/PMs amongst your fellow revolutionaries? One of them might work for the NSA and you've all just been made.

Don't forget the internet is a creation of DARPA, it's military origin is in it's DNA. It's one thing to use it for benign everyday uses, but if you think it's going to help you in time of revolution, think again.

I look at the internet the same way I do the phone networks. You KNOW those will go down as well, when the SHTF.

If you want reliable communication at times of upheaval, rely on radio. HAM and short-wave for long-distance and CB/walkie-talkies for local. Of course to be truly independent you'll need your own power supply as well.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majestic Lumen
people should start organizing, perhaps have small groups of people hosting long range wi-fi networks.along.

And run tests every now and then, kind of like the emergency broadcast system. If anyone is willing to do that, I offer my help in any way I can, I only have minor network knowledge, but I am sure I can contribute to help such a project

People are doing it, but more people should get involved.

Wikipedia link on long range wi-fi

Also perhaps a server coalition would be nice.
edit on 13-2-2011 by Majestic Lumen because: Link

Nope, Long-range wi-fi can be very harmful for the environment, and perhaps people as well, for its spread of high power microwaves over large areas.Even wifi as it is now is quite borderline, and if it spreads more, you'll see stuff like trees dying and bees disappearing. Time to use our brains, and be responsible for the tech we use.

Rather look into decentralized server networks, or GRID NETWORKING, where users and servers become one and the same.

The main problem with the WWW is that it's way too centralized, even if it doesn't look as such. Govt and corporations owns and manages the few servers that tie it all together.

edit on 14/2/11 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

edit on 14/2/11 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echtelion
Rather look into decentralized server networks, or GRID NETWORKING, where users and servers become one and the same.

Um…….. A grid network doesn’t exactly lend it’s self to an add hock network.

I could go into it deeper, but I won’t.

Your description is more along the lines of a peer to peer network, which is assumed after an internet kill switch. The problem is the topology to connect the peers. Not the fact that they are equal peers.

Is it wireless mesh networking. Is it wired and wireless nets of 255 or less computers forming subnets (via routers) of a system with up to 255 subnets (star topology) where no smart routing is needed. Or is it an add hock multi link diverse transit (wireless, DSL, ISDN, eithernet, ATM, OC3) full topology network of directly interconnected subnets (like the modern internet). Where there is more than one way to get from point A to point B. And that way may be via differing transport systems.

If it is the latter, then you need managed level3 switches that can do active routing based on the existing situation in the network. Considering that people probably won’t be able to keep up with maintaining the routing tables, you need an automated routing system. The only one that will currently allow autonomous routing control is the RIP and RIPv2 compliant routers that can discover routs and control data flow based on those routs without outside intervention.

You don’t need them at all the network nodes. You just need them where network loops form, to control which path the data takes into the loop.

edit on 14-2-2011 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny

Originally posted by Echtelion

Um…….. A grid network doesn’t exactly lend it’s self to an add hock network.

I could go into it deeper, but I won’t.

Your description is more along the lines of a peer to peer network, which is assumed after an internet kill switch. The problem is the topology to connect the peers. Not the fact that they are equal peers.

Is it wireless mesh networking. Is it wired and wireless nets of 255 or less computers forming subnets (via routers) of a system with up to 255 subnets (star topology) where no smart routing is needed. Or is it an add hock multi link diverse transit (wireless, DSL, ISDN, eithernet, ATM, OC3) full topology network of directly interconnected subnets (like the modern internet). Where there is more than one way to get from point A to point B. And that way may be via differing transport systems.

If it is the latter, then you need managed level3 switches that can do active routing based on the existing situation in the network. Considering that people probably won’t be able to keep up with maintaining the routing tables, you need an automated routing system. The only one that will currently allow autonomous routing control is the RIP and RIPv2 compliant routers that can discover routs and control data flow based on those routs without outside intervention.

You don’t need them at all the network nodes. You just need them where network loops form, to control which path the data takes into the loop.

edit on 14-2-2011 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

Hey thanks for worthy explanation! I'm no networking geek... was just guessing in the little I know. So you think it's a possibility, with an already available public framework?

Isn't what was already developed with the BOINC middleware? And what about the Freenet network? They look very promising in that field...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Now we're getting overly complicated. Rebuilding the internet so the feds can pop everyone using it would be the complete opposite that we're trying to achieve here. This isn't about creating a large wireless network but a small ad-hoc network using a single piece of software, Daihinia. What we're trying to do is educate the masses that aren't tech savvy. Computer A to computer B to computer C using wireless ad-hoc for survival and internet shut down situations, nothing more - basic communications.

Let's explain it for the non-tech savvy one more time:

The software is a driver that lies on top of the existing driver that makes the wireless card work in the computer, like putting a blanket on top of a sheet. Another users sees a wireless network called "Daihinia" and connects to it. The software takes care of all the settings so the end user just sits there all fat, dumb and happy. I tested it yesterday and the thing works without any screwing around, honest to God.

The concept is simple - I have Daihinia on my computer. Neighbor A connects to the ad-hoc network. His neighbor B (that isn't in range of my computer) connects to neighbor A and also sees me. In theory this continues Ad Infanitum to a saturation point.

The idea at this point is to demonstrate the concept of a wireless ad-hoc network in a small town with the outlying connections distributing the network. And avoid detection by the "bad guys".

As far as range goes anyone that's tried to use a wireless network knows full well that trees, cars, buildings, bodies, phones, microwave ovens, house wiring, generators, wind, windows, aluminum siding, shingles, television antennas, wind turbines all affect the signal. Advertising a 15 km signal is great. Real world is 2 miles if you're lucky.

I would strongly suggest not going at this as an exercise to get the longest range in the world. Survival means not getting

A. caught by a rouge government and
B. staying undercover.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Son of a donkey's ass, I already made a thread about this a while back:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I will re-post it in case someone missed it:

The Netsukuku idea is a possibility:

www.masternewmedia.org...

ppl are re-inventing the wheel in this thread. I'm more interested in FREE communication away from ISP middle men rather than Internet Kill Switch scenarios.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
This line of thought goes well with some side projects I have at work. Basically we have been looking into ways to get internet over country borders without...
A. Breaking laws (if possible)
B. Using internet from inside the firewalled country
C. The signal being visible or findable by anyone in either country unless you already knew it was there.

Several options have been discussed so far and long distance wifi is the most likely option we have reached so far for the budget we have (nothing).
Our concept is so far to use an apartment building closest to the border and set up the source wifi signal with a directional antenna and triangulate as best as possible a line of sight wifi signal to a corresponding wifi receiver on top of an abandoned factory on the other side of the border.

Even without outside internet access at either site... it should be entirely plausible for something as simple as an Apple computer using bonjour to set up a audio video conference via ichat or something similar to get information in and out of the country behind the firewall.

Unfortunately for the project goals the border is thicker than we would like it to be - and while we have a line of sight available... we would need better equipment to boost the signal than we currently have access to. The distance across from apartment to factory is more than 80 miles distance.

en.wikipedia.org... (is interesting as the records are over 300km)

Italy
The longest unamplified Wi-Fi link is a 304 km link[8] achieved by CISAR [9] (Center for Radio Activities) in Italy.
link established on 16-06-2007
frequency: 5765 MHz
IEEE 802.11a (Wi-Fi), bandwidth 5 MHz
Radio: Ubiquiti Networks XR5
Wireless routers: MikroTik RouterBOARD with RouterOS, NStreme optimization enabled
Length: 304 km (189 mi).
Antenna is 120 cm Satellite dish prime focus with handmade waveguide. 35dBi estimated

edit on 14-2-2011 by ziplogan because: Edited cause I'm a noob and forgot to quote text from wikipedia as being external info.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I wrote and extension called IPCache for this very purpose.

www.mozdevgroup.com...

Regards

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by fessor

My dad's a AM Radio op... he did packet radio from the 70's till now... I don't have my "license" but I did packet radio too... It works good but the speed is terrible and lots of packet lost can happen depending on the conditions and such... And for the range you can put up with packet radio you are better off putting up a real 802.11 network and have the benefit of speed... with packet radio don't think you can send large files and all... you'll be disappointed... And in order to do packet radio you need to have a am radio license and the knowledge that comes along with it... if you don't how are you going to make and match your antenna?? there's a whole bunch of stuff involved...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by wes7blade

I am certain there are ways to shield off an EMP, or at the very least diffuse it. There is always a way.

Besides if they hit large areas with an EMP, well that would just be silly, because it would affect their precious main stream media outlets and thus won't be able to push their propaganda. If you hit a major city with a blanket EMP, they are cutting themselves off from communicating through TV or radio. EMP's won't just take out internet if they use them in that manner, they will take out everything; just like in the video, it said, even street lights were short circuited. With that, I must say, I do not believe TPTB would use an EMP for that purpose.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Great post OP! I myself am looking for a ham setup that's affordable, or maybe a good old fashioned CB base unit with a heck of a linear amp, and will be talking with friends neighbors and family about the same, cause one things for sure, if big brother ever does hit the kill switch they will have likely caused the big event that they claim justifies it, and then people will really take things serious and need to communicate and organize.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
They would tank the economy in a matter of hours, if they did kill the net.

I can only see it being used, if we were under attack or there was a national revolt.

Makes me wonder who's going to be chatting on the net, if those issues arise?

edit on 14-2-2011 by Regenmacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by maddogron

So where's the statement to back your statement? "get internet access when your government shuts it down" where is it. I could do My Own Search by why?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Solution for wireless mesh network. Download Connectify, lightweight, easy to set up and use, provides an instant Hotspot anywhere for your wireless devices. Allows a large number of wireless devices to connect.

I tested this software on my laptop and it works great. I can connect to wireless network and share the connection with everyone
Connectify setup guide

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by maddogron

I assume there is technology to suppress electric signals running through the air as well though. These theoretical technologies could even suppress radio waves. Just consider the UFO sightings which involve radio malfunction. I'm not sure about this though, so don't take my word for it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join