It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[i]A Question About Thread Titles[/i]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
In the thread "My personal trip to Peenemunde facility (Nazi Bell/German technology related)," how did the diacritic over the "u" in "Peenemunde" get there?

I'm asking this because I would like to be able to use italics in thread titles if the thread title is about the name of a book, and I've never been able to figure out if this can be done. And we can't experiment and preview with thread titles, can we?

edit on 02/13/11 by Mary Rose because: This is a test.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Mary Rose

Copy and Paste or character mapping.
edit on 13-2-2011 by Vizzle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Vizzle

I did a search and tested the character mapping and it worked.

But for italics, I tried copying and pasting something written in italics, and that didn't work. So is it not possible to do italics in thread titles?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
try putting [ i ]insert text inside[ / i ] . not sure if it works with thread titles, but i know it works in the msg box, without the spaces

edit on 13-2-2011 by Vizzle because: full frontal nudity

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Vizzle

But I can't test it! Right? Can't preview.

Maybe a mod will test it for me?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   

You can try it with this thread, though i do believe there is a time limit. see if there is an edit box for the thread title. if not, you would have to speak to a mod =)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Vizzle

Oh well!!

Guess we can't use italics!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   

It was worth a shot!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Vizzle

Thanks for your kind assistance!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

What can I say. At 5am delirium sets in and I have an occasional streak of kindness. Yay for the graveyard shift!
sorry we could not get it to work =)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mary Rose
In the thread "My personal trip to Peenemunde facility (Nazi Bell/German technology related)," how did the diacritic over the "u" in "Peenemunde" get there?

edit on 02/13/11 by Mary Rose because: This is a test.

By using the "United States - International" setting for your keyboard selection you can put in accents, umlauts, and other diacriticals. Many are triggered by typing an apostrophe or quotation mark first followed by the character you want to change. Ex., Ü or ü using a quotation mark first, or for accented Ú or ú or other vowel with the apostrophe key first. To type the Ñ or ñ you need to hold the alt gr key while typing the character "n".

Because I need to type in Spanish often but want to keep a primarily English keyboard layout I use the United States - International keyboard. The only thing that takes some getting used to with that setting is the need to double-space after a quotation mark or apostrophe, or the need to double-space afterwards when the intent is to make a quotation but not alter the letter character of those that can be altered.

You can access that US - International setting through your Control Panel or sometimes from the keyboard character in the lower-right toolbar.

Sorry, I can't answer your question for sure about using italics in thread titles. You might experiment with HTML codes as that is the way to alter or add characters in your signature line. Maybe the same rules apply to thread titles. Could be worth a try.

edit on 13-2-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

But no way to type in italics, right?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
BBCodes do not work in the titles.

And I believe the question to the "u" has been answered.

top topics

join