It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Invisible beam to break up prison fights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Prison guards could soon stop fights with a harmless tool that shoots a laser-like beam, video game-style, down into a room where trouble is brewing. The Assault Intervention Device (AID), funded by the National Institute of Justice, is still large and unrefined but will soon be installed for trial in at least one prison, the Pitchess Detention Center in Los Angeles County.

Full Article

My View: It's safe until proven otherwise - 10 years of use down the line, then those in prison turn round, sue the system and retire millionaires.
If it only just penetrates the skin over an area I image it would feel like a graze, a nice warm fuzzy burning sensation... how sci fi is this!!

edit on 13-2-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
It's a technology that could be abused without oversight, as is common in a place like a prison.

Also, I really do favor the idea that all prisoners should be isolated and given access to books and things of a scholarly nature. And left with nothing else to do.

But learn something hopefully.

If there is no choice but to isolate someone because they harm other's liberty, I think that may be more rehabilitative to educate them in isolation, rather than being put around tons of other people, and forced into a indoctrination system of violence and crime.

With the way they let them consort now, and the corruption of the guards with no oversight, huge criminal networks form and frightening racist ideologies are reinforced.

The American Prison system right now is a nightmare on crack essentially. And the worst part all, it isn't working, it's making criminals Worse.

You wouldn't need to waste taxpayer money on all of this stuff if only we had viable policies that were favoring liberty and seeking to rehabilitate those who don't respect others liberty.
edit on 13-2-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
As some of the youtube video comments suggest, how long before this is used at public rallies & protests..

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
My first thought when I read this thread? How long will it be before TPTB begin to utilize something like this to disperse public riots and even peaceful protesters?

And then, how long will it be before they begin zapping us with this thing to force us to conform to whatever they want us to conform to.

Maybe it's my distrustful and conspiracy-filled mind imagining what TPTB ultimately have in mind for this, but I'm suspicious that it could be eventually used against us when we won't do as we're told.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
LOL! Look at these dumb mothers!
"Hey lets's test this thang out on each other! Herp a derp! Hey lets get the black guy wearing a suit! Derp a herp!"

I somehow doubt this will be used only to break up fights:/

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Reminds me Fortress with Christopher Lambert. All inmates were forced to swallow 'intestinators' which would cause great pain if they began to fight or riot. They even had a laser(looked a little more b@da$$ then the one up top) that could literally blow the inmates apart...

new topics

top topics

join