It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Gamma Ray Bursts really Creation as it occurs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I just find it interesting that, for as much as scientists say they look like "this or that", GRB sources don't really resemble ANYTHING that we've recreated in a lab, or in a computer simulation.

These "Bursters" (as they're sometimes called) appear without warning, occur across Billions of light years distance, yet knock out our Early Warning Detection satelites on a regular basis, and then fade into the nothingness from which they came.

What are these crazy things anyway? Any thoughts? Personally, I think it's Creation as we speak. Anyone who'se taken a long hard look at some Before/After photos of a galaxy that's hosted a recent "burster" will notice that the whole galaxy changes appearance!

That's my take on 'em...what's yours?

Here's a link to a photo of a GRB source. There are much more spectacular simulation artworks on the web...but at least this is a picture of the real deal. The other is a link to a GRB source FAQ page...enjoy!

www.3towers.com...

www.astro.caltech.edu...

[edit on 15-7-2004 by Toelint]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 04:20 AM
link   
NOVA on PBS did a show on these. They are called Hypernovas. In a stellar nursery a spinning star about 30 times the mass of our sun at the end of its life cycle collapses into a black hole. Two jets of energy are spewed out of the axis of the spinning black hole. Described as if you took the entire mass of our Sun and instantly turned it into pure energy.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 04:35 AM
link   
slank thats good answers

but what if its a white dwarf (death of a star)

it kind of looks like one of them

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 04:51 AM
link   
The scary thing about these things is they have the potential to wipe out a big chunk of life bearing planets of a galaxy in an instant. Anything within a few 100 lightyears of the jet would be like hiroshima going off all over a planet. Basically frying it.
Here's the transcript of the show:
www.pbs.org...

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 04:58 AM
link   
i saw that show. interesting how it all started to monitor gamma rays on this planet because of nuclear weapons testing during the cold war and then expanded into learning where the gamma rays were coming from in space and what was causing them.

the evolution is simply fascinating to me.

i also found it fascinating how such a hypernova occurs. it is simply devstating to what we would consider a large chuck of space but we arent really in danger of this...not for a very long time anyway.

but it gave a lot of insite in how a black hole works. it takes all the energy and matter and basically turns it into radiation.

like a giant nuclear warhead the size of jupiter going off. makes you feel very small all of a sudden doesnt it?

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Okay, maybe it's just me...tell me if I'm doing this right...

E=MC2...okay...from there...

If I take one Cubic Meter of Matter, (I'm assuming it doesn't matter what the "Matter is) and I then convert it to pure energy, I should create a noticable radiation field of almost Ninety Quadrillion Cubic Meters. Above and beyond that, nothing.

Okay, I understand we're talking about stars, not One-Meter blocks of cement, but we're also talking about an area the size of the Universe. Frankly guys (and gals) I simply don't see ANYTHING putting out enough energy to knock out our satellites from a Billion Light-Years away.

[edit on 1-8-2004 by Toelint]

top topics

join