It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The True Story of an Amazing Dog

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Hi all!

A friend of mine sent me this e-mail the other day. Forgive me if it’s an old story but it made me smile
and if you haven’t yet seen it and you enjoy animals --- then I think you might really like this!

The True Story of an Amazing Dog (Copied/pasted from e-mail)

In 2003, police in Warwickshire , England , opened a garden shed and found a whimpering, cowering dog. The dog had been locked in the shed and abandoned. It was dirty and malnourished, and had quite clearly been abused.

In an act of kindness, the police took the dog, which was a female greyhound, to the Nuneaton Warwickshire Wildlife Sanctuary, which is run by a man named Geoff Grewcock, and known as a haven for animals abandoned, orphaned, or otherwise in need. Geoff and the other sanctuary staff went to work with two aims: to restore the dog to full health, and to win her trust. It took several weeks, but eventually both goals were achieved. They named her Jasmine, and they started to think about finding her an adoptive home.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f59449b37a14.jpg[/atsimg]

Jasmine, however, had other ideas. No one quite remembers how it came about, but Jasmine started welcoming all animal arrivals at the sanctuary. It would not matter if it were a puppy, a fox cub, a rabbit or, any other lost or hurting animal. Jasmine would just peer into the box or cage and, when and where possible, deliver a welcoming lick.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fc20f8b85f4f.jpg[/atsimg]

Geoff relates one of the early incidents. "We had two puppies that

had been abandoned by a nearby railway line. One was a Lakeland Terrier cross and another was a Jack Russell D oberman cross. They were tiny when they arrived at the centre, and Jasmine approached them and grabbed one by the scruff of the neck in her mouth and put him on the settee. Then she fetched the other one and sat down with them, cuddling them."

"But she is like that with all of our animals, even the rabbits. She takes all the stress out of them, and it helps them to not only feel close to her, but to settle into their new surroundings. She has done the same with the fox and badger cubs, she licks the rabbits and guinea pigs, and even lets the birds perch on the bridge of her nose

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/60815af6560c.jpg[/atsimg]

Jasmine, the timid, abused, deserted waif, became the animal sanctuary's resident surrogate mother, a role for which she might have been born. The list of orphaned and abandoned youngsters she has cared for comprises five fox cubs, four badger cubs, fifteen chicks, eight guinea pigs, two stray puppies and fifteen rabbits - and one roe deer fawn. Tiny Bramble, eleven weeks old, was found semi-conscious in a field. Upon arrival at the sanctuary, Jasmine cuddled up to her to keep her warm, and then went into the full foster-mum role. Jasmine the greyhound showers Bramble the roe deer with affection, and makes sure nothing is matted.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1c3294f0751e.jpg[/atsimg]

"They are inseparable," says Geoff. "Bramble walks between her legs, and they keep kissing each other. They walk together round the sanctuary. It's a real treat to see them."

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2059bdd7a0d5.jpg[/atsimg]

Jasmine will continue to care for Bramble until she is old enough to be returned to woodland life. When that happens, Jasmine will not be lonely. She will be too busy showering love and affection on the next orphan or victim of abuse.

Pictured from the left are: "Toby", a stray Lakeland dog; "Bramble", orphaned roe deer; "Buster", a stray Jack Russell; a dumped rabbit; "Sky", an injured barn owl; and "Jasmine", with a mother's heart doing best what a caring mother would do.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/23a0c56625a1.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 12-2-2011 by OwenandNoelle because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2011 by OwenandNoelle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
What a heart warming story. That dear sweet dog !!!! I always dreamed of having enough money to have an animal sanctuary of some sort. The photos are wonderful! Thank you sooooo much for making my day!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
What a heart warming story. That dear sweet dog !!!! I always dreamed of having enough money to have an animal sanctuary of some sort. The photos are wonderful! Thank you sooooo much for making my day!

Always comes down to money. In the mean time, if it makes you feel any better, you are currently a sanctuary of sorts to countless microbes.

Most people don't think animals have a spirit, but I think that is complete rubbish. Just look at love in this canine and how welcoming it is to the other animals. Awesome story and very touching.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Great story...I work with animals & always appreciate these types of stories not just
that she was rescued, but showing that different animal species can live together
regardless of the prey issues. I have worked with domestic, wild, & exotics. My parrot
will run the dogs off the bed & go sit by the cat. Which ever bird (Blue Front Amazon & Crow)
is out is the ruler of the house & dogs nor cat will bother them. My cat Baggs was a rescue ~ 2 wks old tied up in a bag & tossed in dumpster. Vet said she wouldn't make it too weak to suckle & extreme flea anemia...I tube fed her for 3 days to give her a chance to live. She hates other cats
but loves her dogs! One of my dogs raised her & she loves him to death! I have Border Collies & compete in Sheep Dog Herding. My cat comes to the recall whistle, sits on command, & also wants her dog biscuit.
She used to be amused & crawled through high grass & laid there inches away from the sheep & goats.
Wish I had a video...when I would leave the house to go work my dogs she would scream...literally.
I would have to walk half way back & wait for her or she would keep crying. She would come & sit on a rock & watch me work my dogs. Not normal cat behavior. She is black & would have been awesome to add white features like a traditional Border Collie. Even as 5 mo old she had a fit to be with my litter of pups,she would be in the circle with the pups around the food bowl eating as as part of the group. Wish I had photos of my parrot & cat lying on my chest next to each other as that was amazing to me. Being on the bed is one thing but such close quarters on me was something that may never happen again.

Thank you for your post! It's very refreshing & SO nice to see something positive!!

Ektar

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by alyoshablue

It is sad how people would think that animals have no spirit. When I had to euthanize my cat she came to visit me several times in the first 2 wks post & then off & on afterward...I did not see her physically but
her appearance was quite obvious hearing the bell on her collar, jumping on the bed, & walking on the bed. Baggs did not wear a collar w/ a bell at that time because she was a baby & strictly indoors. So no bell noises from her & she stayed upstairs with the puppies.

Ektar

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by OwenandNoelle

Most generally i'd rather read about methods of gathering or preserving foods, building underground bunkers, Etc.
But you have struck my weakness, as you see from my avatar (my Doggies) I loves me my doggies!
This story is easy to believe as i see the same behavior in my dogs.
My wife will come home from work just destroyed with all of the carp she had been inundateted with (she's a teacher w/ special ed) and she will be distraught, immediately she gets attacked by 3 big doggie tongues letting her know that she is home and they will take care of her.
She cannot go anywhere in the house without a doggie entourage, even when bathing, the dogs sit outside the closed door and wait for momma to come back from where she is, they kind of pine for her.
But a dogs ultimate goal it seems is to please us, so i don't doubt 1 word of the email.

edit on 13-2-2011 by g146541 because: onaccountof myspellingandgrammar isbadand irushtohitpost.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Nice looking dogs! Funny I was on a site earlier here & noticed your dogs.
AmStaff crosses? Love them & would like to have a Pit myself.

Ektar

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Finally, a happy post. All I can say is AWWWWW & thank you.

S&F

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

Ektar working with animals like you do – is such a kind and beautiful way of helping this world! That’s amazing that your parrot and cat are such good friends as well! Lol, and I can vividly picture that parrot running the dogs off the bed. Very funny! Lol, I bet the Parrot intimidates your dogs by perhaps puffing out his/her wings.

I wish my dogs had a little more respect for the birds! I have 3 labs and not only do they chase the birds outside whenever they get a chance --- but they eat up all of the bird seed we set down!

And for sure, you need to get yourself a good camera and takes some photos! I would love to them in action!

And I’m so happy to hear that your kitty Baggs is doing so well! Being raised by your sweet dogs --- it definitely sounds like your cat thinks she’s part dog as well! Lol! And I suspect your cat considers herself to be “top dog” amongst the pack!

That’s so cool what you do both a home and at work! I’m glad there are people like you out there!

edit on 13-2-2011 by OwenandNoelle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
g146541 your dogs are soo cute! I normally groan when I get too many cutesy e-mails lol! But for sure, when it’s something about animals --- and in particular dogs --- I turn to mush as well!

And I agree with everyone who said that they believe dogs and cat have souls! I have no doubt whatsoever in my mind that they do! When I look at my dogs or cat I can read so much emotion in their faces. You can tell when they’re happy, sad, jealous, bored ect. (And I don’t know how it is --- but my labs always look so sad whenever we’re eating. They have the ability to convince me that they haven’t eaten in days --- when I know that I just fed them a minute ago!)

But most importantly, I truly believe that one hasn’t experienced unconditional love until they’ve owned a dog. (and I’m sure that the case for other pets as well) And there’s no way that if human have souls, that a loving God wouldn’t have given Dogs a soul as well.

When I look at that beautiful Jamine --- I really do see such warmth and kindness coming from her. I think she embodies the goodness of what I understand an angel to be. (Not saying Angels are dogs lol, but that dogs and angels share a kinship by way of both having such a loving spirit)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Great thread
animals truely are awesome.

got me thinking about this video.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by fixedworld

That video was awesome!

Tysm!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Thank you for making me smile

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
You see how pretty this dog is,how loving the dog is,it is these kinds of things that are the best part of life.Dogs are the best part of my life.This was a great story and pictures too.

top topics

join