It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Aleister Crowley a Freemason? (!?)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I once owned a copy of 'Magick in theory and practice'.
In a footnote on one of the pages...I can't recall which one.
He claimed that all rituals and degrees contained therein
were compatible with 'high arch' freemasonry.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
have to ask ,

what is this "magic" he practiced ?

sex,drugs,blackmail,prostitution rings one could go on ,

take a way the pixie dust and what was it that he did that was so secretive , the "old" ways

i mean i can think of millions of things he did but all of em was far from "magic" , ritualistic yes but magical ? no,

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Whether he was part of a recognised lodge or not is not an issue. All that matters is that his system was effectively based on the same one used by the freemasons, but he took it into a different direction and became a pioneer.

One has to ask where the freemasons obtained their doctrines. Some argue that they came from Rosicrucianism.

At the end of the day, it is all about rites of passage (whichever way you get it)

edit on 13-2-2011 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

I'm not saying he wasn't esoterically knowledgable, but what did he contribute to the Freemasons? If anything he is most notably a man who influenced the OTO. Everything Masonic he was associated with not a recognized body.

reply to post by AQuestion

He was a clandestine, unrecognized Mason only.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Thank you all for taking an interest in this thread. I am sorry but I must fulfill my obligations to Saint Valentine as I am sure you all must do as well.
Have a Happy Valentines day. If I am able to break away I will do so; but Saint Valentine is a demanding master of the geas.
I will post as soon as I am able concerning. the type of 'Magic' practiced by Aleister Crowley. And some of it's possible correlations to Masonic practice.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I would like to offer this as food for thought when considering Aleister Crowley, his contribution to Freemasonry and the effect that Crowley has had on Western occult thought and practice down to the present day...........

Ashby's Law of Requisite Variety:

"The larger the variety of actions available to a control system, the larger the variety of perturbations it is able to compensate".

For those of you who would like to check this out further or for those of you who would like to know what the heck I am talking about..........
pespmc1.vub.ac.be...

Thank you again for your interest. Now let's knock one out of the park for Saint Valentine!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by crowdedskies
One has to ask where the freemasons obtained their doctrines. Some argue that they came from Rosicrucianism.

I have to question that. According to Harold W. Percival's, Masonry and Its Symbols, he writes:

Masonry is the trunk or physical connection from which different Orders are formed
from time to time. Rosicrucianism in the Middle Ages and other movements of a later
date were offshoots put out through members of the Masonic Order, to meet a need of the
times without entangling Masonry itself.

Interestingly enough, here is a link to this book, which can be provided in its entirety: Masonry and Its Symbols

The first two chapters are a great read and shed light on the subject a bit. Once you see that the teachings in Masonry are uber old, I would think that nobody contributes to the principles, but rather shapes and "translates" them in a contemporary context.
edit on 13-2-2011 by alyoshablue because: typos

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by crowdedskies
Whether he was part of a recognised lodge or not is not an issue. All that matters is that his system was effectively based on the same one used by the freemasons, but he took it into a different direction and became a pioneer.

At the end of the day, it is all about rites of passage (whichever way you get it)

Incorrect,

It DOES matter. If you are not of a lodge which is chartered and dispensated by the Grand Lodge of that jurisdiction it is not Masonry. Period.

Clandestine lodges and Irregular lodges may have similar teachings. However, no one can be considered a Mason outside the Grand lodge jurisdiction.

Also, anyone can call themselves a Mason.

Anyone can call themselves a professional driver. I ask you this: If you hand your 12 year old kid the owners manual to your ford and they read it front to back without ever driving, are they a professional driver? Are they an expert on anything? The same applies here..

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightCraft

It DOES matter. If you are not of a lodge which is chartered and dispensated by the Grand Lodge of that jurisdiction it is not Masonry. Period.

Clandestine lodges and Irregular lodges may have similar teachings. However, no one can be considered a Mason outside the Grand lodge jurisdiction.

Also, anyone can call themselves a Mason.

Anyone can call themselves a professional driver. I ask you this: If you hand your 12 year old kid the owners manual to your ford and they read it front to back without ever driving, are they a professional driver? Are they an expert on anything? The same applies here..

I think I may have been misunderstood. If you read my previous post, I do not suggest that he was a mason. I only suggested that it did not matter whether he was or not.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by alyoshablue

Interestingly enough, here is a link to this book, which can be provided in its entirety: Masonry and Its Symbols

The first two chapters are a great read and shed light on the subject a bit. Once you see that the teachings in Masonry are uber old, I would think that nobody contributes to the principles, but rather shapes and "translates" them in a contemporary context.
edit on 13-2-2011 by alyoshablue because: typos

Thank you. I will read through it.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Hmmm, where have all the Masons gone?

Perhaps you're correct afteral.... doesn't this fella appear in all Masonic Lodges???

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by chocise

Baphomet most likely does not appear in all Masonic Lodges (at least not in the above depicted form penned by the White Lodge Kabbalist Eliphas Levi). Although I'm willing to bet that the above image of Baphomet appears in some Masonic Lodges.

Baphomet is a Gnostic Alchemical symbol. According to the Gnostic Teachings, Baphomet symbolizes that we have to steal Fire from the Devil (see Arcanum 15 of the Tarot). It is taught that Baphomet is a symbol of the Sexual Potency of the Ain Soph Aur (it is also taught that when we fell from Eden our sexual energy became inverted, creating Satan within us).

The Devil gives us the sexual urge, and since we have ego due to our fall from Eden, we are tempted to misuse our sexual energy through fornication. When we overcome that temptation, by Transmuting (not repressing) however, we then steal Fire from the devil and make Light (and therefore Initiate our ascent back to Eden).

Of course Aleister Crowley's teachings would interpret Baphomet in an inverted manner.

edit on 15-2-2011 by Tamahu because: wording and spacing

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by chocise
Perhaps you're correct afteral.... doesn't this fella appear in all Masonic Lodges???
No, I'd wager he doesn't appear in a single one.
edit on 2011.2.15 by JoshNorton because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Though he was a little out there Alister Crowley was a brilliant man...

As long as sexual relations are complicated by religious, social and financial considerations, so long will they cause all kinds of cowardly, dishonourable and disgusting behaviour. When war conditions imposed artificial restraint on the sister appetite of hunger, decent citizens began to develop all kinds of loathsome trickery. Men and women will never behave worthily as long as current morality interferes with the legitimate satisfaction of physiological needs. Nature always avenges herself on those who insult her. The individual is not to blame for the crime and insanity which are the explosions consequent on the clogging of the safety valve. The fault lies with the engineer. At the present moment, society is blowing up in larger or smaller spots all over the world, because it has failed to develop a system by which all its members can be adequately nourished, without conflict and the waste products eliminated without discomfort.

Anyone that actually reads his work would notice his brilliance.

One of the principal points about the sin stupidity is that it flatters the sinner. All insanity depends upon the exacerbation of the ego. The melancholic hugs the delusion that he has committed the unpardonable sin. Sins grow by repression and by brooding upon their enormity. Few people would go to excess if they were not unwholesomely over-excited about their trivial apishness.

Even i have considered attempting some of the spells in his writings, though i admit, i was afraid of what might happen.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
As long as sexual relations are complicated by religious, social and financial considerations, so long will they cause all kinds of cowardly, dishonourable and disgusting behaviour.

"True marriage has nothing to do with the social or religious formulisms of this barbaric humanity."

- The Major Mysteries by Samael Aun Weor

"Regarding this subject-matter of matrimony, legislators can establish all the laws they wish, nevertheless, indeed, they will achieve nothing, because happiness within matrimony is only possible when we hang Judas (the “I”). Thus, whosoever wants to be happy in their marriage must be sincere with themselves and not marry because of passion, because of money or because of social status.

"Modern matrimonies corrupt the sexual act. Modern matrimonies have failed because of sexual abuse. Modern matrimonies do not want to comprehend the divine majesty of sex. It is necessary to know that sex is very sacred. In the sacred India of the Vedas, sex is utilized in order to achieve more elevated states of Samadhi (ecstasy).

"Amongst the Hindustani Yogas, sex is utilized in order to attain the union (Yug) with the Spirit-essence and thus the entrance into Nirvana. Not a single Sage of the East would ever conceive of the idea of utilizing sex purely for carnal passion. The White Tantric Yogis perform sex with their spouse in order to attain Inner Self-realization.

"The best of Hinduism and Buddhism is White Tantra. The best of Yoga is Sex Yoga."

- Matrimony, Divorce, and Tantra by Samael Aun Weor

One of the principal points about the sin stupidity is that it flatters the sinner. All insanity depends upon the exacerbation of the ego. The melancholic hugs the delusion that he has committed the unpardonable sin. Sins grow by repression and by brooding upon their enormity.

"The Interior Lord can forgive the Initiate when the repentance is true.

"All doors are closed for the unworthy, except the one of repentance. To receive the Mysteries and to inherit the Light-Kingdom is possible, thanks to the Spirit of Fire."

- The Pistis Sophia Unveiled

Even i have considered attempting some of the spells in his writings, though i admit, i was afraid of what might happen.

Good call on listening to your inner פחד (Pechad) on that one.

Also, it would be especially unwise to eat the "cake of light".

edit on 15-2-2011 by Tamahu because: added link

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Hmmm, where have all the Masons gone?

we are out looking for Balphamet! I have searched everywhere and nobody seems to know where he is!
I even went to the \\cue scary music\\ Scottish Rite hall looking. It seems that poor old goatboywithtits is nowhere to be found. If any of you find him, please just drop him in any USPS mailbox. they will know what to do with him.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Isn't the goats head with horns worn by the Worshipful Master..?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Thanks. I wondered where you'd disappeared to, so thought I'd push it along with that pic. I'm relieved to have confirmed [Crowley] was indeed marginalized to some obscure Parisian, unrecognized sect as suspected. Relieved because my father was a Mason & I couldn't imagine him being involved with anything remotely occultist. Thank you too Josh, & Tamahu – love the Up from Eden allegory [and future return... reminds me of the Ouroboros].

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Relieved because my father was a Mason & I couldn't imagine him being involved with anything remotely occultist.

You are aware that Masonry has a basis in the occult? Not that it is anything sinister but that is where the bulk of its ritual and knowledge stems from.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

Yes [excuse me, I didn't put that very well]: 'occultist' in the same sense someone like Crowley might IYSWIM
edit on 15-2-2011 by chocise because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join