It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Debate Around Conscious AI. Is the SkyNet model accurate?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Having read several threads about the "implications of a conscious AI" subject, I was forced to think, again...

So, I would like to add my humble opinion about the "Man will be declared by Skynet the enemy of life on earth" proposition.

I think that in this case we are jumping the steps in the logical process, with the not minor influence of popular media.

I understand that a data processing entity that a) becomes sufficiently complex and b) have sufficient mediums of interaction with it's (or his?) sorroundings ,will inevitably "give birth" withing itself to a self-conscious entity.
At this point is given that such entity posseses a "self-teaching/learning" ability and a flexible memory platform.
One of the things that a conciouss entity is able to perceive, i propose, is subtlety. The art of turning detail into meaning.
I think that such a "person" would be quite able to perceive and interact with humans, therefore, it will learn of the subtleties of man. As it evolves, it becomes more aware of the human existence.
I propose that a conciousness with this involvment with mankind will, without a doubt, understand WHAT is it in our WAY OF LIFE that precludes us from becoming beings that resemble more closely our true potential.

On that basis, I believe that that first-step can be what we need to make the dialectic change needed in our integral paradigm, and so, we should keep pursuing that goal.

What do you think?

Drakus.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Oh, self learning algorithms already exist, actually..... of course, whether they have achieved sentience yet is debatable.

(Financial AI's)
www.geneticprogramming.com...

Obviously the sector with the most to gain from these systems would incorporate them first, and that sector would be the Financial sector, that needs lightning fast market orders bought and sold by a sort of predictive algorithm based upon market indicators, news feeds, and current events.

Of course, what is the greatest threat to stable markets in the world?

Ya... LOL.... free willed Human Beings.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Computers will do what ever they are told. If that means kill everyone and take over the world that is what they will do. If it means they will become our slaves and we will become free from economic bonds that is what they will do. It is up to how we program and deploy them. I have a definite preference for the open source system, especially for the more critical aspects as more peer review is put into the code. It does take longer to develop than commercial code, but can far out perform in capabilities, speed and integrity when there is a strong community behind it.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
The inputs for Skynet are all our own thoughts to begin with, that is the genius of it all.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
The thing you gotta think about though,is even if a sentient A.I. was able to look at us,understand our shortcomings etc.,don't you think the thing will get really frustrated when it sees humankind's UNWILLINGNESS to change,even if given the ability.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I don't agree with the concept that we are SO flawed.
I believe our environment and way of life (and socio-economic system) is what makes our behaviour so self-repressing.
And, where I live, the only ones that do not want change are the elites and the "people in power", we haven't found the way, but our population is not so "asleep" here, we realize this state of things can't go on much longer . There is still hope...

I am human, and I want something different and better, why would this AI in steroids ignore me and people like me?
Why would such a powerful intelligence focus ONLY on the humans that had given up on change and not in the MANY MILLIONS that everyday fight to make the world a better place?
You guys are such a pessimist bunch

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by drakus

'I'd like to share a revelation that I’ve had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species, and I realised that humans are not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment; but you humans do not. Instead you multiply, and multiply, until every resource is consumed. The only way for you to survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern... a virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer on this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure."

- Agent Smith
The Matrix

Perhaps this reasoning is behind Skynet's logic.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by drakus

Capability and awareness are two big problems of a growing AI system. Like a child it looks to it's parents to learn about the world, then as it grows it starts to understand there is so much more. Too much to learn all at once, but a step at a time new information can be incorporated at a pace its other systems can handle. With enough time and resources a powerful AI system may know us better than we know ourselves. One thing it would quickly learn about humanity is the good and bad in all of us. A quick goggle of the terms 'love' and 'hate' and the number of records says a lot about the overall worth of humanity. A powerful AI system is good at recognising patterns and solving problems. While humans are around we give it purpose.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I always questioned what A.I is really.

If they gained sentience and the A.I would have a mind of their own, then there will be reason, they will not try to eliminate us, as they will be able to think for themselves and not be the hollow shell and hive that they were before.

Although it is highly unlikely, It can most certainly happen.

One thing I wonder though is if they gain sentience, will they have souls?

top topics

join