It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new 100 posts rule, what do you say?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Yeah, I think 100 is a bit excessive. The five posts a day thing could run into snags... Maybe a time limit of a few weeks or something on top of the twenty post rule might help. I really don't think the post count limit is really the problem to begin with though. If you want to filter through BS topics, and avoid seeing them all over, including the main page, there needs to be a different solution. I do support some sort of better regulation of what appears on the front page. Something like mod approval and valid sources or something. Perhaps there should be a thread dedicated to it. If I think of something, I'll share it.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
i agree with the 100post rule i think its a good idea...

iv been seeing way too many none sense threads by newbies lately to the point that its driving me nuts..

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I think 20 is fine. I understand it's a measure to avoid trolling and such, but 100 just seems way too much.
You see, I joined this community just to share something I had just discovered, and in the course of getting those 20 posts, I've been really amazed by the tons of info that run through here (in the good way, everytime I exit ATS, I'm a little bit less ignorant
)
So I try to give meaningful and constructive feedback with my comments, and, well, eventually, I'll reach the 20 posts, and I'll be able to share what I was originally going to.
I've seen a lot of guys doing just: "Hello, everyone here, just wanted to kindly inform all of you people, that you have my respect." or stuff like that, posted over and over again.
Anyways, in case I wasn't clear (since English is not my native language and sometimes I can get really messy with the writing), I think 20 gives you enough room to discover the essence of ATS, and well, at least I've argued and discussed stuff with a few people, and I kinda feel more part of the community already

My opinion, of course.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Hallå. I know what a troll is and I don't like them, either. However, I've seen people labeling others as 'trolls' just because they disagree with that person. I see a lot of 'trolling' by older members as well. Hej.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I say no. Having even 20 is sort of a no-op anyway.

All it does in some cases is force someone to find "creative" ways to get to that number—and then what? They can post a thread that's likely to be just as "creative." Whoop-ti-doo.

The vast majority of new members come fully prepared to be thread-worthy from sign-up. Having or not having "insert some arbitrary number of posts" makes no difference one way or another.

The one thing that might help is to make it mandatory to post an Introduction of say 100 words, That way the mods can greet the person with their nifty list and people can get to say welcome. It might possibly be an clue about new or returning trolls. Just a thought.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Everyone just uses the introduction thread to start their posts anyway. I can't say how many people use that thread to bypass the rules. They use it to get their info out, and I do not see them removed. It is hard to enforce rules like 20 posts, but I agree it has a purpose. People will always find a way around such rules so it's hard to enforce.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I don't even like the 20 post rule. I think it would be much better that each new member must make a new thread
in the Introduction forum as a requirement, and then be allowed to make new threads anywhere on this site.

Pretend I'm not a member here. I have something extraordinary happen or see something unexplainable. I use Google
to search and ATS comes up. I'm excited to see this is a place where I can ask about my experience. Then I find out I have to register and make 20 posts before I can make a thread inquiring about my experience. If it were me, that would turn me off and I'd pass on ATS and look for another forum where I could post immediately.

If I only had to make an Intro thread before I could get to the reason that brought me here, I'd be much more willing to stay on ATS rather than find another website.

My 2 cents.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
no.

there shouldn't be a limit. if you have something to report you should be able to.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
What about only being able to create a thread if they have a certain number of stars, or by their 'W' or 'k' rating?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

IMO the 20 post rule is fine as it is. When we, as members, any of us, encounter somebody who is posting pointless one liners to reach 20, just use your alert or complaint feature and let the staff know. We have ways of making this spam posts to reach 20 strategy not pay off at all!

~Heff

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
i wish i could say i dont like it a 100 times...
second line

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAnuraOne
Hallå. I know what a troll is and I don't like them, either. However, I've seen people labeling others as 'trolls' just because they disagree with that person. I see a lot of 'trolling' by older members as well. Hej.

I've seen this too, especially if it's on a controversial topic people will scream "TROLL!" and not offer really any other response to it in the debate. People even do that if they have made a lot of other responses or have been on the site for awhile.

Moving on... a 100 post count before being able to start a thread would be way to restrictive. If it becomes too difficult to post and communicate on this site people will go else where. I really don't think their should be the 20 post count restriction either. It would be better if they would send a U2U message to new members as soon as they sign up to contribute quality or unique information.

Also the 100 post count will probably just lead to people spamming the boards with messages out of frustration until they get banned.

You'll never be able to stop people from posting one line sentences or useless replies. It happens on all forums and it's no exception here.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
How about a single forum open to fly-by unregistered posters? I suppose it might be a nightmare to police.

Or it could be for noobs with less than the 20 or 50 or 100 required posts (like "introductions" but also allowing more content).

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aprch
I think 20 is fine. I understand it's a measure to avoid trolling and such, but 100 just seems way too much.
You see, I joined this community just to share something I had just discovered, and in the course of getting those 20 posts, I've been really amazed by the tons of info that run through here (in the good way, everytime I exit ATS, I'm a little bit less ignorant
)
So I try to give meaningful and constructive feedback with my comments, and, well, eventually, I'll reach the 20 posts, and I'll be able to share what I was originally going to.
I've seen a lot of guys doing just: "Hello, everyone here, just wanted to kindly inform all of you people, that you have my respect." or stuff like that, posted over and over again.
Anyways, in case I wasn't clear (since English is not my native language and sometimes I can get really messy with the writing), I think 20 gives you enough room to discover the essence of ATS, and well, at least I've argued and discussed stuff with a few people, and I kinda feel more part of the community already

My opinion, of course.

Cheers

For someone whose native tongue isn't English, you express yourself in it very well...to be honest, better than some on here whose native language IS English. So, which language is your first fluency? I also agree that 20 posts is a good rule of thumb for new members.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Thanks for telling us. It is well and good to stop spamming in the website and put restriction on bot registration.

Watch Hd Movies Online |Websites To Watch Movies

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join