It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUSINESS: RIAA Targets Digital Radio

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   
RIAA is targeting anything it can to gain that extra cent. Whether it be targetting a five year old, or digital radio. It is obviously now targetting the latter. Reasons being pointless. ie. getting songs off radio compared to buying the cd.

www.dmeurope.com
RIAA targets digital radio

14/06/2004 by Leigh Phillips

The Recording Industry Association of America has found a new target in its jihad against digital music piracy: digital radio.

The Association said on Friday that if regulators do not quickly put curbs on digital radio broadcasts, the airwaves themselves could become a giant file-sharing network.

The RIAA is concerned that the advent of digital radio broadcasts - which deliver CD-quality audio to receivers - without appropriated anti-piracy safeguards will allow consumers to copy songs off the airwaves - songs they would otherwise have paid for.

The ability of digital radios to record broadcasts is of particular concern. The RIAA is to recommend to the Federal Communications Commission - the US communications regulator - this week that it allow listeners to record digital broadcasts so that they can be listened to later at their convenience, but that it ban the ability of digital radio users to break up a broadcast into individual songs, which could then be uploaded to the internet. The Association also wants the regulator to make sure that listeners would not be able to use their radios to record certain songs.
Source(s): Reuters

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

IMO the RIAA knows it's lost the filesharing war. It's going back to the source, which is radio broadcasting, or other primitive forms of getting info. It's also filing several lawsuits against radio stations. Obviously the premise of filesharing being made legal in Canada is because its no different than getting songs off of the radio, vcr, etc. Also its a violoation of privacy for the RIAA to target ISP providers.

Related News Links:
www.riaa.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Where has all the music gone?

[edit on 15-7-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

[edit on 20-7-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Ha! Serves them right. The Industry is rapidly getting more and more depserate and grasping at straws. It serves these F*&^%$# right for all of thier suits and intimidation tactics. They created the problem, let them chike on it

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 04:52 AM
link   
and i bet lars ulrich from metallica is just fuming over this everytime the riaa loses ground in this obviously losing war over tryin to rape everyone for as much money as possible.

sorry to say that the record button has been around for a very long time.

what about sheet music sold in music stores that allow you to play the same songs we've all heard? what about the sheet music for classic music?

is THAT pirating?

give me a frigging break! i am so tired of multibillion dollar industries trying to rape us for every penny they can.

i can record a whole season of any show i want. i can then later avoid buying the boxed set of that season. but i'm still having to buy the material to record the shows and when i watch the show their ratings go up with means more advertiser dollars for everyone involved including the stars of said show.

same concept with radio. companies pay the radio stations to play certain songs (usually new releases) a certain number of times per hour/day/week. in turn htis interests people to buy yhe CD, sometimes it works, sometime it doesnt but recording the song off the radio hasnt stopped people from buying the CD/album later. in fact if the idea that recording it from the radio means that noone would buy the album/CD then the recording industry would have went out of business decades ago. bands groups and artists would be flat broke. the fact people continue to buy CD's flies in the face of the logic they are trying to use to argue that they should be able to rape us as much as much as possible.

what a great way to treat your customers, like thieves and then sue them. brilliant idea.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Digital media manufacturing companies should sue over loss of sales from the RIAA tactics.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
A Radio station must be an easier target than the entire Earth's population

[edit on 15-7-2004 by shanti23]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
sheesh, will it ever end with these guys?? talk about money hungry and selfish...

oh yeah, excellent point shanti!

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
what the hell? i mean seriously. no matter what, people are gona find ways to copy music. corporations #ing suck ass.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
The only way to copy-protect music would be to make music that no one could hear. After hearing about Shaq making a rap album, I think this could be a good idea at times.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
What if i have a song (that I dont own the CD for) stuck in my head after hearing it on the radio? Is that piracy too?? The radio's not playing the song, but i still hear it!

new topics

top topics

join