It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mock Mission "Lands" on Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Mock Mission "Lands" on Mars

www.pcmag.com

Volunteer "astronauts" in a 500-day mock mission to mars have "landed" on the surface of the Red Planet, a major milestone in the project.
The Mars500 mission is a $15 million project sponsored by the European Space Agency (ESA), China, and Russia. Since June, the all male six-person crew has been sealed in a mock space ship at the Institute of Biomedical Problems in Moscow in order to study the psychological effects and technical issues of such a long space journey. The crew is made up two Russians, two Europeans, and a Chinese person, most of whom are doctors and engineers.
"This is t
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
oh my.. i almost forgot about these people..lol..

the volunteer astronauts, who are actually getting paid about $97,000 for their time, to me are not as psychologically challenged as they could be..
if one guy has a heart attack,, the "operators" of this experiment will Crack that confinement instantly.. and without fail EVERY man inside knows it..

www.pcmag.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

The crew is made up two Russians, two Europeans, and a Chinese person, most of whom are doctors and engineers.

Excuse my bad math but where's the sixth guy??

Not sure what this will really show because they are not in normal space condition with zero gravity and radiation etc..

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
That's a very interesting story you posted. Your commentary about it was a bit off, as if heart attacks were the only issue. So what? Could you sit in a chair for six months? I can't sit in one for half an hour. These are some tremendous exertions they are going through, I am sure they are also exercising their legs too at regular intervals. But being stuck in a chair doing a *fake* mission when anytime you could just walk out and go back to your family, house, couch, your own bed, your comforts...

That's some serious training. Heart attacks. They should be checking these guys don't go stir crazy.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicorette

True and it's not 6 months, more like 17 months....

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by darrman

The crew is made up two Russians, two Europeans, and a Chinese person, most of whom are doctors and engineers.

Excuse my bad math but where's the sixth guy??

Not sure what this will really show because they are not in normal space condition with zero gravity and radiation etc..

Sixth is probably a ginger. They didnt count him for a reason.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

This is awesome. Can't help wishing there were some Americans involved though. I can't help thinking that once someone finally does land on Mars, it might not be the U.S.. I know there are doubts about how the moon missions really played out, but I still want to believe in the space program. I grew up in the 80's and went to Space Camp when I was young. I want to think we could get to Mars, but it doesn't really seem like we can even get back to the moon. Although there is the other side of me that believes we are already on both the moon and Mars. I'd like to believe that as well.

new topics

top topics

join