It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protests in Algeria Now!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Didn't see this coming
..Algeria has the eighth largest reserves of natural gas in the world, and is also oil-rich, but its youthful population suffers mass unemployment, a chronic lack of housing, and widespread poverty. Political corruption is also endemic.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Algeria has had major problem for years it is no surprise that there are and where protests long before Tunisia and Egypt. What I fear is what is happening in Jordan that is a major concern cause there is a real threat of Extremists as they say taking power there. However, that being said the King and Queen have been beloved for years. In fact in the 80s before the Lebanon civil war, PLO protesters tried to overthrow the king under Yasir Arafat. He was not only chased out by Jordanian military but by the population as well. So much so he barely escaped with his life by dressing as a woman to get into Lebanon. (From Thomas Friedman's From Beirut to Jerusalem).

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
i have a feeling all these countries trying to overthrow these leaders are going to lead to a world wide global economic collapse.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Donahue

That is a real danger but we have to be careful about worrying about the unknown instead of the facts on the ground. Many of the governments that have collapsed where in the process of doing so. I was not surprised at Egypt at all their economy was in the middle of utter collapse, and the government along with it. I expect Saudi Arabia to come up very soon. Now, that said I am not saying it is impossibility that this could spread wider into Europe and even North America. That is a possibility but right now pundits and others are starting a fire storm without knowing the outcome. IMO

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
It will continue throughout the Middle East.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
very true. all this is going to take years and years of negotiating new peace treaties with one another also. new trading deals. this is going to put a huge damper on the economic scene. i have a strange suspicion this is gonna spread through the world like a virus, not only with countries economically but also countries facing natural disaster scenarios. the world is going to seee some pretty hard times in the next years to come imo.

new topics

top topics

join