It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the Earth's Wandering Magnetic Poles Cause Deadly Superstorms?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
It happens on average every 250,000 years, I believe. Thought the last one happened about 700 some on thousand years ago... So the earth is long over due.

Not entirely true. As chance would have it, I was reading about geomagnetic reversal just yesterday. The whole 'earth is long over due' thing is completely untrue I'm afraid, although you're right that the last reversal was 700,000 years ago or so.

During some periods of geologic time (e.g. Cretaceous Long Normal), the Earth's magnetic field maintained a single orientation for tens of millions of years. Other reversals seem to have occurred very rapidly, with two such reversals during a span of 50,000 years.

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

There's no pattern for how often these things 'should' happen, as there's been no pattern in the past. Could one happen tomorrow? Sure. Is the earth 'overdue'? Not in the slightest.

But to be clear, the article is referring to polar shift, or polar drifting - not geomagnetic reversal. The article is surprisingly balanced though, that's the second article I've come across at Fox News that actually is 'fair and balanced'. What is happening to the world?!

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

True. Our scientists think they are so smart when in fact they don't even understand how sophisticated and knowledgeable the ancients were (let alone the physical stuff they left behind we can't decipher)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Will the wandering magnetic North Pole create crazy superstorms?

It might. Then again, it equally might lead to a massive reduction in storms globally. Or it might make peope with blue eyes explode.

Without evidence, any conjecture is equally valid.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
Well, not that I'd mind but that would mean, tossing FOX news into the hoax bid then. (Which they belong but maybe not for this reason though)

No, it means that this was a sensationalist article. It speaks to the quality of their journalism. No one is suggesting that "FOX news" is a hoax (which seems like a fairly nonsensical construction) or that that which they report is all hoaxes (which is what I think you were trying to say).

Bad Astronomy? Phil Plait's forum? You mean the guy who doesn't even think, consider or ponder some UFOs could be alien? You mean THAT guy? Oh yeah. Let's throw him a parade next week and vote him Man of the Year! I do believe WeedWacker is one of his students! Need we say more?

Mmmm... ad hominem attacks sure are fun aren't they? This isn't about being "open minded" nor does it have anything whatsoever to do UFOs. This is a question of geomagnetics, astrophysics, and climatology. The post I linked to mostly deals with the physics involved and they are unambiguous: pole shifts will not cause megastorms. The root ideas here are the equivalent of worrying that because it's opposite day that hot snow will fall up and kill us all.

This isn't about belief or disinformation or ambiguous evidence -- it's about misunderstood science being abused by a fairly crazy person, getting a lot of sensationalism online, which got the story reprinted in a few papers, thus leading to this fox story -- which is largely _about_ the sensationalism and not the idea itself.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Hey, off topic (if you don't mind) do you ever think about relocating out of Florida? I think to do that every other day but I mostly conclude, it is what it will be no matter where I go. Do you feel the same way?

No not seriously. I started thinking back in the 80's how cool it would be to live somewhere in Central America when the Mayan Calendar expired, in a place full of Mayan ruins. I have never seriously contemplated leaving Miami though.

I never do plan out moves, and I have lived in a number of states and places over the years, they just happen.

So I figure if it's meant to be it will just happen if it isn't it isn't.

I try to remain opitimistic and positive about the future, regardless of what happens, not so much in that pie in the sky way some optimists do, but in a come what may, any day above ground has got to be a good day.

What about you, are you thinking of bugging out, or catching the wave?

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Stunspot

I didn't intend that to be an ad hominem remark rather, if I don't respect a person's overall opinion (Phil Plait) then I would have to question his resources and findings. So what you did, unbeknown to you is, cite me an article of a person I don't agree with which, you didn't realize.

So....you say 'no' (there won't be any affect)..... based on Bad Astronomy?
And I say maybe....... based on my opinion.

We'll just call it a day then!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

reply to post by Stunspot

So....you say 'no' (there won't be any affect)..... based on Bad Astronomy?
And I say maybe....... based on my opinion.

We'll just call it a day then!

Greetings HumanAlien:

And add that to a possible coronal mass ejection (CME), which is a massive burst of solar wind, other light isotope plasma, and magnetic fields rising above the solar corona or being released into space...and...

"We have a problem, Houston."

Without warning, the relatively calm solar atmosphere of our seemingly benevolent Sun can be torn asunder by sudden outbursts of a scale unknown on Earth. Catastrophic events of incredible energy...stretch up to halfway across the visible solar surface, suddenly and unpredictably open up and expel their contents, defying the Sun's enormous gravity.

...from a better vantage point...that tiny reddish ball on the right is our fragile planet...

and then,

Are we interested now? This has been bandied about by the mainstream media for years and attention purposely diverted - by whom and for what purpose? Just the thought of the logical answers causes a pucker.

Looking forward to your thoughts and input. Are you ready for the truth?

"The truth shall set you free."

Really?

In Peace & Light
tfw

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join